Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 752
Pentax KX motor drive body on eBay

Rare body on the bay.Not mine or affiliated in any way.Pentax KXMD body in box, instructions, more. Motor Drive KX | eBay

02-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,527
Good stuff, don't see those everyday!

Phil.
02-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
Lord Lucan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Wales
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Didn't know a KX MD Existed !

I have just checked in Danilo Cecchi's book and he says : "... the KX came in a special version, with the base modified to take a motor and with the facility for using a data back. The modified KX motor drive version remained in the realm of intentions."

I'm puzzled as to what Cecchi is saying, as his two sentences seem to contradict each other. Is he saying that the MD version of the camera was made (as shown in the ebay pictures), but not the drive (which the ebay pictures do not show - except in a picture on some paperwork)? The motor drive shown in the paperwork picture, and its pistol-grip, look very similar to that of the LX (but not like that of the K2 DMD, which had a hand grip on the right I believe)

It is worrying that the ebay advert does not show a picture of the MD, and it is not 100% clear that it is included in the sale (if such a drive even existed), although a "Motor Drive" box is shown, and if so whether it includes the probably separate pistol grip*. If it is, maybe the ebay one was a prototype. I would certainly get clarification from the seller beforehand if I were to bid.

From the ebay ad : "This is an Pentax LX without the changeable viewfinders and screens, almost." Makes a change from Pentax film cameras on ebay being described as "Like a K1000"!

* I am guessing that the pistol grip / battery holder was the same for the K2 DMD, the LX and the KX. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 02-12-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Clarity
02-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 752
Original Poster
The drive does exist.Here's one with the bulk back also.Pentax KX Motor Drive with bulk film back &... - nedkelly69's Album: Pentax collection - PentaxForums.com

02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
Lord Lucan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Wales
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Interesting. Nedkelly's picture shows a MD and pistol grip with some apparent detailed differences from the paperwork picture with the ebay item - most obviously that the top and bottom plates of the MD are chrome rather than black. In either case I think after all that the pistol grip is not related to that of the K2 DMD which according to a picture I have is identical to that of the LX. Perhaps the KX MD and grip were more derived from those of the Spotmatic?
02-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,527
There was also a KM motor drive and both the KX & KM used the same MD II. Which probably is similar to the Spotmati MD.

Phil.
02-13-2018, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #7
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
The Pentax Motor-Drive System fit the motor drive Spotmatics, ES II, KX, and KM cameras. There were two different drive systems. One with a 2-contact battery grip and a 3-contact camera connector, the other with a 3-contact battery grip and a 4-contact camera connector. The 4-contact motor was for the ES II and would turn on the camera meter with a half-press on the battery grip switch. The K2DMD used a different motor drive but could use the Battery Grip M from the MX Motor Drive.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by turbof; 02-13-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added photo
02-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 285
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Danilo Cecchi's book and he says : "... the KX came in a special version, with the base modified to take a motor ..."
Does this mean that only the base plate was modded, as in, drill a couple of holes and the KX can accomodate a motor drive, or are there internal mechanical differences as well?

02-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member
johnha's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancashire, UK
Posts: 304
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have just checked in Danilo Cecchi's book and he says : "... the KX came in a special version, with the base modified to take a motor and with the facility for using a data back. The modified KX motor drive version remained in the realm of intentions."

I'm puzzled as to what Cecchi is saying, as his two sentences seem to contradict each other. Is he saying that the MD version of the camera was made (as shown in the ebay pictures), but not the drive (which the ebay pictures do not show - except in a picture on some paperwork)? The motor drive shown in the paperwork picture, and its pistol-grip, look very similar to that of the LX (but not like that of the K2 DMD, which had a hand grip on the right I believe)
IIRC Cecchi's book was translated from Italian to English, it may be that some details have become lost in translation.
02-14-2018, 02:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,610
QuoteOriginally posted by turbof Quote
The Pentax Motor-Drive System fit the motor drive Spotmatics, ES II, KX, and KM cameras. There were two different drive systems. One with a 2-contact battery grip and a 3-contact camera connector, the other with a 3-contact battery grip and a 4-contact camera connector. The 4-contact motor was for the ES II and would turn on the camera meter with a half-press on the battery grip switch. The K2DMD used a different motor drive but could use the Battery Grip M from the MX Motor Drive.
That's quite a collection. I only have the LX motordrive. K.
02-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 5,133
They're an interesting curiosity, but not really a true motor drive.

That's an awful lot of hardware for an anemic 2 frames per second.
By the mid-1970's Canon and others introduced compact inexpensive
power winders that could equal that and fit all their new models.

Later the MX and LX did offer true motor drives capable of 5 fps.

Chris
02-15-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,527
This Spotmatic MD outfit has been on the Leica Shop website for a few years now and only 1800 Euros!

Pentax Spotmatic-motor-drive-outfit

Phil.
02-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Baard-Einar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oslo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 642
QuoteOriginally posted by turbof Quote
The Pentax Motor-Drive System fit the motor drive Spotmatics, ES II, KX, and KM cameras. There were two different drive systems. One with a 2-contact battery grip and a 3-contact camera connector, the other with a 3-contact battery grip and a 4-contact camera connector. The 4-contact motor was for the ES II and would turn on the camera meter with a half-press on the battery grip switch. The K2DMD used a different motor drive but could use the Battery Grip M from the MX Motor Drive.
Is it from your collection? Seeing a KM MD is really rear.

Thanks
02-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Is it from your collection? Seeing a KM MD is really rear.

Thanks
Yes. It was odd that Pentax made a KM Motor body. It was one of their low end cameras, basically a K1000 with self-timer and DOF preview.
02-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 5,133
QuoteOriginally posted by turbof Quote
Yes. It was odd that Pentax made a KM Motor body. It was one of their low end cameras, basically a K1000 with self-timer and DOF preview.

Actually the reverse is true. The K1000 was introduced later and was a budget version of the KM with those features deleted.

Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, drive, ebay, kx, kx motor drive, motor, motor drive body, pentax kx motor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heads up! K2DMD motor drive on eBay ChrisPlatt Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 05-23-2017 04:28 AM
Pentax KX Film Motor Drive (70054) DOSOJOS Pentax Film SLR Discussion 3 04-04-2017 05:22 PM
Pentax KX motor drive camera onlineflyer Pentax Film SLR Discussion 11 01-20-2017 07:04 AM
Autofocus comparison : lens motor vs. body motor (screw drive) 6BQ5 Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 06-12-2013 12:12 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top