Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ZX-L TTL Flash Behavior

I think I know the answer to this, but does the RTF on the ZX-L do TTL with a lens without A contacts?

I think it does, but the manual also mentions P-TTL, which does not behave that way...

I’ll find out when I get the film developed, but this might help keep me from ruining any more of this roll 🙂

-Eric

02-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think I know the answer to this, but does the RTF on the ZX-L do TTL with a lens without A contacts?
It depends on the flash. The ZX-L supports the analog TTL protocol and will work with Type E flash such as the AF280FT that do not require "A" contacts for TTL*. The same might be true with the onboard flash. You should be able to tell by seeing if the flash duration is attenuated with the lens wide open as opposed to stopped down.

Edit: I just gave TTL with M-series lens a try on my Super Program with AF280T and sure enough it worked just fine in Av and M modes (flash exposure confirmed in viewfinder). I would expect similar behavior with the ZX-L, though use with aperture ring is poorly documented in general for your camera.

Steve

* Both analog and digital TTL protocols meter off the film with the flash duration managed in real time. The difference is that the digital protocol requires the digital data pin on the mount face with aperture ring in the A position. Many bodies support both protocols, but the same is not true for flash; T-series flashes support analog TTL protocol only while FGZ-series support both. FTZ-series are digital protocol only.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.
02-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Steve.

I was playing around with the built-in flash and a K45-125 and wasn’t paying attention to how strong the flash was. That’s the one I’m worried about... I just don’t know when it plays TTL and when it plays P-TTL...

A Super Program and AF280 was my first ‘professional’ rig a million years ago. It’s a great combo...

-Eric
02-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
That’s the one I’m worried about... I just don’t know when it plays TTL and when it plays P-TTL...
That's easy. The built-in flash on your camera does not do P-TTL. (user guide p.95)

Steve

02-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There we are then. That saved me a few extra frames figuring it out 🙂

Thanks,

-Eric