Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quickshift - Doesn't work on the PZ-1

1st - I apologize in advance. Another user was recently mentioning their experience on their film SLR and asked if I could test mine. I finally got the battery and popped it into my Trusty PZ-1 - the first shots were the A 50 f/2,, then I popped on the DFA 100 WR. Sure enough - quickshift does not work! I had always understood this to be a lens specific feature and had no idea this relied on something on the camera side as well. Quickly I tested and found that if I gently turned it it would start to turn in the direction of the last focus but not the other way (I didn't want to harm the camera). If I set the body to manual focus the lens turned fine then also. Using the same lens even on an old body like my K100D allowed Quickshift to work. The PZ-1 on the other hand flatly refuses to function this way.

This makes me wonder if the lack of quickshift on the DA-L vs. DA is merely some bit set in the lensrom. Curious if anyone knows.

02-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's weird. I don't have a k-mount film camera to try but I just pulled out two of my quick shift lenses. DFA 100mm macro and the DA 35mm macro. In both cases with the lens on or off the camera the quick shift works. But looking at the lens off the camera, the screwdrive socket does not move when turning the camera.

So what locks this up on the PZ-1? Or even how? Some type of electric clutch powered by the camera?
02-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On my ZX-L (also film AF), the DA 40 doesn't work with quick shift. It goes in one direction but no in the other, and it seems to depend on which way the camera's af was turning before I try to use quick shift. My best guess was that the camera's motor is actuated differently, and so I stopped using QS lenses on that camera out of precaution.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
is merely some bit set in the lensrom
Unlikely, look at the screw on the back of the lens mount while turning the focus ring. It turns for non quick-shift lens, but it doesn't for a quick shift one.
02-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I tested DFA100 macro, DA16-50 and DA50-135 on my MZ-5n and I can comfirm the quick shift does not works. Only in one direction. On the DA* lenses it works sometimes after the second direction change in manual focusing. It supprised me.

02-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. I wonder if it’s something with the PZ-1? I’ve used my DA* 200 on my film cameras, and always thought quickshift worked, but had to check because of this post. So, on my *ist film camera and my MZ-6, the 50-135 and 200 both function with quickshift just like they do on my digital bodies.
02-18-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Interesting. I wonder if it’s something with the PZ-1? I’ve used my DA* 200 on my film cameras, and always thought quickshift worked, but had to check because of this post. So, on my *ist film camera and my MZ-6, the 50-135 and 200 both function with quickshift just like they do on my digital bodies.
That may be a red herring... they're SDM-driven (as well as screw-drive), so the focus mechanism is presumably quite different to the screw-drive-only lenses?
02-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At a guess, I assume there's extra firmware in the digital bodies to detect the lens supports QuickShift and therefore 'allows' the user to override the achieved AF focus point. Earlier film cameras will assume a direct mechanical connection from the screw drive socket to the focus ring, might (possibly depending on AF mode) fight any QS changes to retain/re-aquire what the camera considered 'correct focus'. I.e as the camera calculates where to drive the lens to, it continually checks for 'correct focus' from the phase matching, if it's still not 'in focus' it would continue to correct it until it was.

If the film camera achieves what it thinks is 'in focus', but the image presented to the phase matching sensor then shows out of focus (due to user QS operation), it will probably attempt to correct it, irrespective of how any clutch mechanism in the lens works. I.e. it would attempt to drive the screwdrive until focus was achieved), something that would never happen if the user is continually fighting it with a QS override.

Different AF focus modes on the PZ-1 work differently, AF Servo focussing allows the shutter to be fired irrespective of whether the camera has achieved the correct focus or not and continually tweaks the focus, AF single doesn't and requires the camera to be happy that the phase matching indicates correct focus. AF servo would probably 'fight' any QS corrections but allow the shutter to fire, AF single would probably focus and then allow QS corrections but would then prevent the shutter firing as it sees out of focus on the phase matching sensor.

02-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That may be a red herring... they're SDM-driven (as well as screw-drive), so the focus mechanism is presumably quite different to the screw-drive-only lenses?
That would make sense. To have both SDM and screw drive, the QS clutch mechanism would have to work with both (presumably) whereas a screw drive only lens could be done in conjunction with body programming?
02-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On my MZ-S, quickshift worked on the 18-55 and 16-50, but not on the 10-17, 15mm, or DA 21. On the ones it didn't work on, it would allow focus to continue in the direction it had last focused, as reported above.
02-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
On my MZ-S, quickshift worked on the 18-55 and 16-50, but not on the 10-17, 15mm, or DA 21. On the ones it didn't work on, it would allow focus to continue in the direction it had last focused, as reported above.
The 16-50 made sense after the other sdm lenses, but not sure what to make of the 18-55...
02-19-2018, 01:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again, might or might not be relevant, but of the only lenses I have which are contemporaries of the (P)Z-1, one has power zoom, which was the big thing, f course for the Z series, but might complicate matters? Probably not - zooming is not focusing - just throwing it out there. The other is a 400 f/5.6 - this maintained the earlier mechanism whereby the whole focusing collar slides back and forth to enable quickshift. I assume that if that was the mechanism employed at the time then the modern mechanism might not work. I know the OP knows infinitely more bout lenses than I do, so this is probably pointless, but I thought I'd throw it into the mix anyway
02-19-2018, 02:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That was me asking in the other thread.

@UncleVanya: thanks for testing.

I have a DFA 100mm Macro (non WR) and quick shift doesnt work on Z-10, Z-20, MZ-S. My experience with the turning is the same like UncleVanya describes.
02-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
That was me asking in the other thread.

@UncleVanya: thanks for testing.

I have a DFA 100mm Macro (non WR) and quick shift doesnt work on Z-10, Z-20, MZ-S. My experience with the turning is the same like UncleVanya describes.
So glad you found this. I will confirm with several more lenses today.
11-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just to add on this topic. I got a DA* 300mm f4 an quick shift doesnt really work on Z-20 or MZ-S. Although the clutch disengagement is much smoother than on the DFA 100 (non WR), surely due to SDM, it only turns focus into one direction. Not really a problem since this lens is thought to be used on an K-1 II, anyway.