Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax SV shutter/aperture/mirror problem

Hi all,

I recently purchased an amazing find!
I bought a black Pentax SV and it is just so very nice!

However, it is in very used condition.
The biggest issue is that when I set the shutter to the slower speeds (like 1 to 4 seconds) there appears to be a jam that affects every mechanism.
It seems that when stuck: the shutter remains open about 3mm, the mirror gets stuck up, and the aperture paddle remains pushed forward (which prohibits taking off the lens, as the paddle will catch on the len's aperture pin.
There are two ways to get it unstuck. 1) Shoot again at a faster shutter speed 2) Carefully encourage the shutter leaf along with your finger.

There's also a small dent on the Super Takumar 55 f/1.8 filter rings and I've bought lens 'reverse-vice' tool that should work that out; it's still arriving in the mail.

Questions:
1) Are there any tips to repair the stuck mechanism? If it's something relatively simple I'd be glad to give it a try.
2) Any tips for using the 'reverse-vice' tool to work out lens dents?
3) Just for my curiosity, I knew that the black version of cameras are more rare and therefore more valuable. How much more do you value a black version over it's silver counterpart?

Thank you for all your help!

02-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the camera needs a simple CLA as the lubricants have aged and are sticking instead of lubricating. My LX did the same thing when I purchased it. I had a local repair man do a CLA and it works like new!
02-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm glad to hear that it's likely a simple CLA instead of something more serious!

I guess my next question then would be "Does anyone know of a place that will CLA a film camera in Edmonton, Alberta?".