Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pro-Sumer AF film SLR wanted.

Hello

What do you recommend for a decent quality, Pentax auto-focus film body? I currently use the ZX-30 body, but wanting to upgrade it. I will be pairing it with the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 AF APO lens.

Thanks
Russ

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
03-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Z-1, not sure about those big lenses but should be good
https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-z-1-pz-1.html
not tried it but perhaps the MZ-S
https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-mz-s.html
03-04-2018, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #3

MZ-S is the best film body

If you want a really good film body then I highly recommend the MZ-S. It was the last "pro" film body made by Pentax and has the best ergonomics they have ever done. Get it with the battery grip if you can. I used it from 2003 to 2007 when I bought a K10. Still use it on those rare occasions when I want to shoot film
"
03-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MZ-S is very nice and the battery powered grip is really superb.

03-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second the Z-1, or the MZ-S. Both are great. The Z-1 is more like a DSLR in terms of its interface.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2018, 11:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm keeping my ZX-L. It does everything I want and it works.
03-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the MZ-7 and *ist daily, (both with battery grips) but from what I’ve seen the MZ-S is probably one of the best pro-bodies Pentax made.

03-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The PZ-1p/Z-1p and the MZ-S are the highest spec AF film 35mm bodies that Pentax made. To a lesser extent the MZ-3 and MZ-L/ZX-L are well speced bodies.
I prefer the Z-1p over the MZ-S, in features, ergonomics, and price. The Z-1p has the benefit of in body aperture control for Av mode with DA and FAJ lenses.
03-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
The PZ-1p/Z-1p and the MZ-S are the highest spec AF film 35mm bodies that Pentax made. To a lesser extent the MZ-3 and MZ-L/ZX-L are well speced bodies.
I prefer the Z-1p over the MZ-S, in features, ergonomics, and price. The Z-1p has the benefit of in body aperture control for Av mode with DA and FAJ lenses.

I agree, the MZ-S and PZ-1P would likely meet your requirements.
That said I have never owned the MZ-S, and I soon sold my PZ-1P as I found it too complicated.

Chris
03-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Z-1(p)/PZ-1(p) by a mile. I haven't used an MZ-S but the Z-1 has the exact same interface as a DSLR, the only draw-back is it relies on 2CR5 batteries (very expensive back in the day but much cheaper now). It has double dials, faster shutter speed (1/8000th over 1/6000th) and sync speed (1/250th over 1/180th) than the MZ-S. It supports HyperProgram (seamless switching between Av, Tv and program) and HyperManual (seamless switching between manual & program, and with exposure lock - TV & Av). The MZ-S is better built, but the above are more important to me.
03-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #11

I have the Z-1p as main camera, superb.
The Z-20 as a my second camera, smaller, lighter and easier to handle; this is a fantastic "little" camera (little compared to the Z-1p).
Both set lens aperture from the body, very useful for lenses without aperture ring.
03-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the Pz-1p a lot, and it is the one film camera I have owned for a long time that I always got along with. Using the control wheels for aperture and shutter speed with an excellent lcd readout in the viewfinder really help and the camera sticks the controls right under the fingers where they should be. Just an all around great camera and great to use with manual focus lenses from the past.

However, I do think the Mz-s is a bit better camera for using larger lenses like you are showing in your picture especially ones with the tripod collar. The Pz had a basically useless handgrip that didn't add any real functionality to the camera where the MZ-S battery grip adds an extra grip and shutter button. This is really helpful when using a physically long lens mounted to a tripod. Plus, I think the Mz-s is better built than the Pz-1p in general. If I were shooting a lens like a 70-200 f2.8 I would choose the Mz-S over the Pz anyday.

Thankfully, I use old a, m, and k lenses with the pz and don't tripod it, so that camera works very well for me.
03-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #13

The PZ-1P!! Aren’t we still unsure if the MZ-S has the dreaded plastic mirror gear of death? I tried to find definitive answers on it and when I couldn’t come to a conclusion, I just bought the PZ1P. I was all about getting an MZ-S but not paying that price until I know for sure about that gear!
03-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As everyone's already said - Z-1P or MZ-S are you best choices. Both are excellent but completely different feeling cameras. I much prefer the MZ-S, largely because I find the Z-1 series to be hideous looking.
03-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gutter rock Quote
The PZ-1P!! Aren’t we still unsure if the MZ-S has the dreaded plastic mirror gear of death? I tried to find definitive answers on it and when I couldn’t come to a conclusion, I just bought the PZ1P. I was all about getting an MZ-S but not paying that price until I know for sure about that gear!
There were several posts claiming that the gear is not breaking because it is a different material (brass?). I dont know if anyone ever actually looked. However, the same brass gear fix available for the other MZ lineup should be possible for the MZ-S in case it fails.

I remember one post somewhere where a user claims his MZ-S failed. However, you never know how the camera was treated and what the reason for the fail was. IIRC it was not proven it was the gear.

OTOH, I have seen Z-1Ps with broken flash springy thing (dont know the correct word in English, sorry). Either the flash stays open or it doesnt pop out. AFAIK nobody repairs this.

One should look at the specs and decide what he needs. Any camera may fail.

PS: I love my MZ-S. Have it from a member here. Excellent camera. Quite silent.