Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Malia Toncha Quote
One more question, would you think going exclusively black and white would be frustrating? I'm dying to try that orange filter with the moutains sky and reliefs.
How much experience do you have with black and white?

Some people would be very happy shooting nothing but B&W, others would hate it. It's a choice of personal taste and if you have to ask the question I'm inclined to think it's probably not a good idea for this kind of trip!

Ah, it's always tempting to buy new gear when so many people are fond of it, but I'm afraid that the GR might have to wait, as it's really out of my budget. But who knows, might be a good investment for a future long trip.
A serious question - has your budget taken into account film purchasing and developing costs? Second hand GR's can be had for a good price, and considering how much film you will go through on a trip like this the difference might be less than expected...

03-09-2018, 05:01 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Your post has reminded me of the circular and cokin filters I have boxed up in the attic. Mostly Hoya but I have a "ghostless" Pentax, a Nikon close up 3T and a B+W filter amongst the 90 (including Cokins)
I bought a few cokin filters for a couple bucks, that was a good deal but someone told me that they would be useless for B&W, as these ones are "POLA" would be made for color only (I have pola Blue, pola Yellow, pola Red and pola Red -Green). Something that just gives the colors a certain tint rather than 'filter' them.
I've had a try recently on B&W film but there has been a serious light leak in my camera and I think the film is partially screwed so I'll have to try again.
But my guess would be that the B&W rendition has to be different right? Since you still put something that is going to bring up some colors or reduce some other. The filters aren't as dark-colored as 'proper' orange/red/whatever color filters you're supposed to use with b&w but there has to be some changes.
I've tried them on my K5 using the same WB settings but I'm afraid the digital side adjusts the b&w tons automatically anyway. If you have any idea of the difference between 'pola filters' and 'filters', any samples or websites where it had been tested let me know because I couldn't find anything interesting.

---------- Post added 03-09-18 at 05:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
BTW, with these old cameras, a battery will last you years and doesn't need a recharge at night!
Yeah I reckon I should invest in something better than the p30, which has made a good job til now but as soon as the battery goes lower it has that very annoying shutter problem and takes one photo out of two. Apparently it's very common when the battery is running low but I feel this one is quite sensitive to that problem. It might be about time that I get my LX fixed .. but dear lord its expensive.

---------- Post added 03-09-18 at 05:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
How much experience do you have with black and white?
Not much but maybe it is the right occasion!

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
A serious question - has your budget taken into account film purchasing and developing costs? Second hand GR's can be had for a good price, and considering how much film you will go through on a trip like this the difference might be less than expected...
I did, developping doesn't cost much in France. Well it does but I started shooting film in Australia so it makes a big difference for me
And I was thinking of bringing maybe 5/6 rolls, no more. Plus I'd really like to use film only for this one, and if by any second thought i want to go digital I can just can bring my k5, that might not be as good and as light as the GR but no need for me to pay extra money for extra gear when I already have a lot

Last edited by Malia Toncha; 03-11-2018 at 05:23 AM. Reason: bug
03-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I reckon I should invest in something better than the p30

I was amazed by how cheap a Pentax Super A (or Program) can be found for. Mind you the P30n can also be found at bargain prices!
Should you look to upgrade from your P30 and don't want to go autofocus this is a good little camera.
03-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my Super A and Super Program but I find the program mode just a novelty. In aperture Priority the camera still makes the exposure for you, and just as quickly as the program mode. The difference is that you do the thinking. You can decide what aperture you want and let the camera set the shutter speed or you can decide what shutter speed you want and adjust the aperture until you arrive at the speed you choose. For that reason, I would strongly recommend the ME Super over the Super Program or Super A. The ME Super has a meter display that blows that of the other two away. The meter display in the viewfindes of the Super Program and Super A absolutely sucks and is the Achille's heel of an otherwise wonderful pair of cameras.

03-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
the P30n can also be found at bargain prices!
I got one for free recently, I was supposed to buy it for 10€ but the owner ended up giving it to me as something was wrong with the sutter, working once out of six/seven times. I tried brand new batteries, still the same problem. Anyone reckons it is something i could get to fix on my own?
03-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

One more question, would you think going exclusively black and white would be frustrating? I'm dying to try that orange filter with the moutains sky and reliefs.
Only you can answer that. You need to look at things a little different in general when you shoot BW. You don't have the pretty colors to work with so you need to look at things as more of shapes, forms and textures.

You can shoot with the Sunny 16 rule but you really should practice it first. The rule says f16 @ 1/ISO and combinations thereof and it is for a bright, sunny summer day when the Sun is well off the horizon and you are not at high geographic latitudes. Any condition that departs from that and you need to start making adjustments. For example, you might would want to open a stop from that rule in the winter depending how high your latitude is.
03-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You can shoot with the Sunny 16 rule but you really should practice it first. The rule says f16 @ 1/ISO and combinations thereof and it is for a bright, sunny summer day when the Sun is well off the horizon and you are not at high geographic latitudes. Any condition that departs from that and you need to start making adjustments. For example, you might would want to open a stop from that rule in the winter depending how high your latitude is.
Yes for sure, I would be adjusting all shots, just taking the sunny16 as a base of judgment. I've been trying not to rely on the light meter recently and it turned up quite alright. I am a film beginner but I've always been shooting fully manual when on digital so I guess that was good practice.