Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #1

Trekking gear choice and 28mm needed for landscapes

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, although I've been reading a lot of threads here in the past years.

So here come the classical question of : what is the best wide angle for 35mm SLRs?
I know, there are already a couple threads about this topic but, i'd like to add a little question very specific to my case.
I'm going on a trek for about a month (i'm doing a big part of the Spanish Pyrenees this summer), and i don't know what gear i should take :

- SLR Pentax p30 with a sharp 28mm lens (k mount then) and my beloved Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro (which color film should i get for landscapes btw?)
- SLR Zenit E with only B&W film and an orange filter (28mm with m42 mount required)
- DSLR Pentax k5 with i don't what lenses yet

In case i choose the Zenit (which has the great advantage to work without battery), i guess i'd go for the S-M-C Super Takumar 28mm 3.5, but I have no idea about the most suitable with a k mount, as many of them seem quite soft and with a bit of a vignetting problem.

Waiting for your advices, landscapes photographers!

03-07-2018, 05:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best one is de SMC K Pentax 28mm F3.5 (first K-mount generation). The SMC Pentax-m 28mm F3.5 is also a very sharp 28mm lens (probably best bang for buck because it is less rare than the K version). For the p30 you might want a lens with an a setting. Then the SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database would come into view. Which is just ok. "A lenses" tend not to have the build quality of their predecessors.

Of course there are also 28mm F2 variants. Those are also very good but hard to find en and more expensive.
03-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favourite 28mm by Pentax is the -M 28mm f3.5, I find it sharper than both -M28mm F2.8 and -A 28mm F2.8.
A Vivitar 28mm F2.8 wide angle CLOSE FOCUS lens (with A setting) is quite sharp and handy if you need to get close, you could use it on the P30 and the K5... but it is not as nice as the Pentax F3.5 for distance shots.
03-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If the idea of trekking with only a film SLR & a 28mm lens appeals, then on the digital side maybe you should consider the GR? I have no personal experience with it, but it's a much-loved, very light camera with 28mm-equivalent lens. Just a thought...

03-07-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
I have Tokina RMC 28mm 2.8 m42 that is exceptionally sharp across the frame, but It is a little difficult to focus. I would shoot landscapes on a tripod with Kidak Ektar 100 or better yet Kodak Portra 160 for slightly reduced contrast and subtle colors, which is perfect for scanning and digital manipulation in post-production. I would not use Zenit. 1/500 limit means you need to bring ND filter just in case. Also you may experience unexpected technical problems like shutter capping that you learn about after you come back home and develop film. Meter most likely wouldn't work on Zenit too. Good luck.
03-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to the lens options listed above, the K30/2.8 is a real gem and very close in focal length.

Phil.
03-07-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
If the idea of trekking with only a film SLR & a 28mm lens appeals, then on the digital side maybe you should consider the GR? I have no personal experience with it, but it's a much-loved, very light camera with 28mm-equivalent lens. Just a thought...
This was what I was about to type. I have years of experience with many cameras in the line. The GR is a digital landscape beast. Backpacker's dream. Incredibly light, fast and razor sharp at every aperture. I shoot film again 90% of the time the past 5 or so years, but the GR cameras still see quite a bit of use, whilst my DSLRs waste away. The GR weighs less than a Pentax 28mm of any kind alone (not including a camera), and honestly, has better IQ. I have versions of Pentax 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, and 31mm in that ballpark - the only one that comes close is the 31, but it has an entirely different character.

03-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Malia Toncha Quote
(which color film should i get for landscapes btw?)
Color negative: Kodak Ektar 100

Color slide:
  • "Natural" colors: Fujifilm Provia 100F
  • Vivid colors: Fujifilm Velvia 50 or 100
03-07-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Harping on the GR again - I shoot quite a bit of 67 for film landscape and haven't the metered prism for it nearly since I started. I carry a handheld... but a large percentage of the time, particularly if the focal length is similar (like with the 67 45mm or 75mm) I'll often pull out the GR set to similar speed settings relating to whatever film is the 67 at that time, and I'll snap a couple shots, much like Poloroid'ing a scene back in the day. This way I don't miss the shot (digital), and I get a sort of quick-chimp exposure ballpark for the 67. I test frame shots even in B&W with the GR. Works out pretty damn well.

For instance (though I was shooting an old Franka folder that day, the second shot).

GR:

Rolfix II w/ RVP:
03-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wandered around Paris last fall with a MX and the SMC-M 24-35 lens.

It was an outstanding bit of kit for the trip.

I have the Takumar 28mm f3.5, and it’s a nice lens, but Paris really rewarded the zoom. It wanted wider most of the time, but having 35mm at the other end was nice.

-Eric
03-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

First, regarding hiking in the Pyrenees, which route are you doing? I've spend a fair while walking in that area (I did the full 780km Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne a few years ago), and my one bit of advice would be pack light... It's very steep (at least it is if you're doing the interesting routes) and a standard day would often have more than 1000m of elevation gain. This is not the place to be taking a big, heavy photography kit...

Regarding 28mm - I've used the M28/f2.8, which is easy to find, tiny, cheap and performs 'ok', and currently own the M28/f2, which is rare, expensive, biggish and performs exceptionally - it's my favourite 28mm and worth tracking down if you're a 28mm devotee.

I would second others suggestions of the GR. It's incredibly light and compact (I usually have mine in a little pouch attached to my rucksack's hipbelt) and the image quality is astounding. I've used mine as my only camera on long walks in the Swedish Arctic and Iceland and never found myself wanting more.

The Barroude Wall, Pyrenees (unfortunately I believe the Refuge de Barroude has since burnt down) - EM5/25mm Nokton

Above the Rapadalen, Sarek National Park - GR

Þórsmörk , Iceland - GR
03-08-2018, 03:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
Ah, it's always tempting to buy new gear when so many people are fond of it, but I'm afraid that the GR might have to wait, as it's really out of my budget. But who knows, might be a good investment for a future long trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
my one bit of advice would be pack light
I'll be hiking the GR11, or at least a big part of it, which is why I thought one film camera, a wide angle and maybe my M 50mm 1.4 or Tamron 90mm macro for wildlife (which is a bit heavy though) would do the trick. It is not my first time going on a long trek and the last time I had 1.5kg of gear and never thought i shouldn't be carrying it

QuoteOriginally posted by cameracravings Quote
I would not use Zenit. 1/500 limit means you need to bring ND filter just in case. Also you may experience unexpected technical problems like shutter capping that you learn about after you come back home and develop film. Meter most likely wouldn't work on Zenit too.
I have an Orange filter which already darkens the photo a bit, and I'll go for low ISO film. For the metering I thought with the Sunny 16 rule I'd be ok but you might be right, plus it's quite heavy...

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
In addition to the lens options listed above, the K30/2.8 is a real gem and very close in focal length.
That one looks really nice indeed, I'll consider it, cheers!

I'll have a look at all your propositions for the 28mm, thanks everyone!

One more question, would you think going exclusively black and white would be frustrating? I'm dying to try that orange filter with the moutains sky and reliefs.
03-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have an Orange filter which already darkens the photo a bit, and I'll go for low ISO film. For the metering I thought with the Sunny 16 rule I'd be ok but you might be right, plus it's quite heavy...
One more question, would you think going exclusively black and white would be frustrating? I'm dying to try that orange filter with the moutains sky and reliefs
Just remember to incorporate the light loss for using an orange filter, if you are not using TTL metering. (usually 2 stops)

Phil.
03-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ref your comment "One more question, would you think going exclusively black and white would be frustrating? I'm dying to try that orange filter with the moutains sky and reliefs".

Read more at: Trekking gear choice and 28mm needed for landscapes - PentaxForums.com

Your post has reminded me of the circular and cokin filters I have boxed up in the attic. Mostly Hoya but I have a "ghostless" Pentax, a Nikon close up 3T and a B+W filter amongst the 90 (including Cokins)
If I had the room, money and time I would definitely be using B&W film, developing and home printing images. I don't think it would be too frustrating to go B&W. Unfortunately my darkroom gear disappeared 45 years ago along with prints and negs when I moved house and I cannot really see myself starting again.
03-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
M 28mm f/2.0

I agree with those that say you can get by with just a 28 and may as well make it a sturdy and small one.
Here on my trusty ME Super SE.
BTW, with these old cameras, a battery will last you years and doesn't need a recharge at night!
Attached Images