Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

pentax z1p cable release?

by some complete accident, i've bought a z1p. pretty immediately i've come to love the thing – feels good to hold, seems like it'll shoot forever, it's damn solid. i'm wondering about what cable release might work with it, or how i can adapt it to work with a 3.5mm trs so that, if the time does come up i can fit this thing into my current lighting setup.

03-11-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #2

The stock remote for this is the Pentax cable switch F (CS-205). Out of production but you can find some New-Old-Stock items on Amazon and eBay. KEH has a used one graded EX.

Pentax Cable Switch F (PZ/SF/ZX/645/645N) at KEH Camera Store

Some DIY instructions were posted on DPReview but the link to the document is dead (Geocities). The main problem is finding a connector to fit the socket on the camera.
Build your self a cable switch F / CS-205 for your Pentax camera: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-11-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The stock remote for this is the Pentax cable switch F (CS-205). Out of production but you can find some New-Old-Stock items on Amazon and eBay. KEH has a used one graded EX.

Pentax Cable Switch F (PZ/SF/ZX/645/645N) at KEH Camera Store

Some DIY instructions were posted on DPReview but the link to the document is dead (Geocities). The main problem is finding a connector to fit the socket on the camera.
Build your self a cable switch F / CS-205 for your Pentax camera: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The internet wayback machine works...

Build your self Pentax Cable Switch F

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 02:14 PM ----------

And some from that link are available on the wayback also:
Wayback Machine
03-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The internet wayback machine works...

Build your self Pentax Cable Switch F
Great catch! So you could just pickup an audio analog sound cable for an internal CD/DVD drive, if you don't have an unused one already, Solder to a 2.5mm stereo jack (3 pole) and you can just connect a regular 2.5mm wired remote for Pentax or Canon.

Or just buy the used one from KEH for $4 and shipping. Probably come out the same or cheaper if you have to buy the audio cable and jack.

03-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Great catch! So you could just pickup an audio analog sound cable for an internal CD/DVD drive, if you don't have an unused one already, Solder to a 2.5mm stereo jack (3 pole) and you can just connect a regular 2.5mm wired remote for Pentax or Canon.

Or just buy the used one from KEH for $4 and shipping. Probably come out the same or cheaper if you have to buy the audio cable and jack.
If the OP isn't going to buy it I may. I have an old handmade one - just one button (only does standard release, no B).
03-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a couple of those cable switches--the F model--and can dump one to you for cheap. Also have the Lightening Trigger that plugs into that socket for daylight lightening photos on PZ1p if that's of interest?

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 01:44 PM ----------

I'll go dig. I may have enough to spread some around?

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 02:09 PM ----------

First, somebody should buy the one at KEH for $4...I can barely find an envelope for that and the nearest post office is 20 miles...That's a great deal for someone! especially since they are all over Ebay at $19.95.

I do have two Cable Switch F's and a third one that has been modified to plug in I think the 2.5mm? plug from the Lightening Trigger. This would then also accept other adapted accessories by effectively changing the port from the proprietary Pentax fitting to a common electrical plug professionally spliced into the cable itself. That would be a good solution for a do-it-yourselfer. Cut the cable on the Cable Switch F and splice in whatever fitting your chosen accessory requires. Basically, pirate the strange Pentax fitting from the F Cable and wire in something more universal.
03-11-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The original cable F switch uses a three pin connector with 1/10 inch pin spacings and allows focusing by pressing the release half-way, just like the camera shutter release (it even has a little click indent at the half-way position). Connectors which will fit the PZ-1p are readily available from electronic parts outlets but they might need some adapting. The actual cable F connector is rectangular with one corner lopped off. The flat end pin is the common, the middle connects to the common for the full cable F button depression, and the pin on the lopped off end connects to the common for half & full press positions of the cable F button.

Another benefit of the cable F cable release is that it has a locking switch which can be used for bulb exposures and locks the main button in the down position until the locking switch is flipped the opposite way (which releases it and returns the cable release to normal operation).

The cable F gives you about 41 inches of reach.

I would advise just getting a used cable F release as long as it's available unless you need more of an extension or want to interface with a wireless system etc....

With a couple of relays and some electronics, you can make some interesting control circuits that emulate the cable F release. Examples would be motion detector shutter triggering or a long distance wireless shutter release.

Attached Images

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.
03-12-2018, 02:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for the help, everyone. i'll be making a custom cable now that i know the pins. i have enough remotes and don't want to add to them, so this works much better.
03-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the keh one. Lol. I already have a diy one.
03-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
yeah, i saw that someone had. i only need an adapter for the remote i already have, which is plenty familiar. it'd be a waste to cannibalize the pentax remote just for the connector, and i'm not at all into the idea of adding more equipment to my collection to keep track of.
03-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #11

Makes no sense to mutilate an existing remote just to use the cable for an adapter if it is functional. There's is probably enough room in the button case for a 2.5mm stereo jack spliced into the existing solder connections. What would be the sense of the either?
03-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

Original Poster
yes, that is why i am not doing either. the diy solution posted above is plenty.
03-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly the remote I already have that is DIY has a standard pentax cable plug on the end near the camera. I think it was made from a failed cable not from scratch.