Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Spotmatic: acidic or basic chemical cleaning of base plate ?

I have got a Spotmatic for parts because the advance lever was stuck. I have fixed that, also have cleansed and lubricated a bit the mechanism, cleansed focus screen, mirror, viewfinder. So i have an extra functional Spotmatic .
I try now to fix the base plate. The inside of the battery cover was covered in green corrosion. Was this from old mercury oxide batteries? I have just scratched away most of the corrosion with a blade but the covr is stuck. Some former owner tried hard to unscrew it. By the color it looks like coated (or plated?) brass and the whole base plate may be the same metal.
Some chemical would be needed to unlock this. Just don't know what to use: an acidic or a basic one?

(pictures taken with the Super Takumar 1:4/100mm at f16 in M mode, iso 200 with a K-5)

03-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would try WD40 before anything else. It's specifically made for this type of problem.
03-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Or vinegar drip on end of darning needle.
03-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

According to Wikipedia the electrolyte used in mercury cells is Sodium or Potassium hydroxide which are basic/alkaline.

03-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by landstrykere Quote
I try now to fix the base plate. The inside of the battery cover was covered in green corrosion.
I solved often with an acid base, you can try
which is a suitable product that melts the rods, otherwise also the hydrogen peroxide, or even Lemon or Vinegar pour it several times around the thread until it penetrates deeply,
then use a larger screwdriver, try to repeat the operation several times in the case.
03-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would use a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench. Using an acid like Lime Away can also work. Also use a lot of patience. It may take a week or so.
03-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

Penetrating oils usually have a acid component. That's what makes them penetrating.

03-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would get a new base plate. Want one? I have an extra, I think.
03-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks all!

yesterday it was soaked in WD40-like. Now I have rinsed and try to unscrew but it's damn stuck. So after a good cleaning to wash away wd40 remains, it's now soaking in strong vinegar. I'll see tomorrow...

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Also use a lot of patience. It may take a week or so.
I seems so... I was looking on Ebay, and few Spotmatic are sold with the same issue: stuck battery cover... I think it's due to the use of alkaline batteries, that leak and the corrosive compound glues the thread.

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 11:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I would get a new base plate. Want one? I have an extra, I think.
thank you! much appreciated. Just for curiosity, to know the do-ability of this, I'll wait some days
03-20-2018, 04:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vinegar is the way to go, you do not need much acidity or it will corrode the aluminum
do not soak all plate, but drip slowly into the threads
03-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Vinegar is the way to go, you do not need much acidity or it will corrode the aluminum
do not soak all plate, but drip slowly into the threads
you are right. After one day in 7% white vinegar, with some force but not too much applied with a big flat screwdriver end in the damaged cap slot, and it has loosened up. Yes I was wondering how much acidity could also affect the rest of the plate, as at first I wanted to use a 35% vinegar then finally opted for this lower, regular dilution. The plate seems to not be affected (what is seen on it was already there, maybe caused by some former tape glue and/or tinkerings around the battery cap). I let it soak a bit more in order to dissolve corrosion still in the thread. Then brushing of the thread and thorough wash.

Next step is to rebuild the battery cap with some metal epoxy putty and dremeling of a slot, then try the meter (silver-oxyde SR45/V394 battery from the nearest Clas Ohlson).

03-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As an alternative to trying to repair the cover, there is a battery adapter that replaces the cover:
H-B Adapter. Replacement for PX400, EPX400 or RM400 discontinued Mercury cells.
03-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
As an alternative to trying to repair the cover, there is a battery adapter that replaces the cover:
H-B Adapter. Replacement for PX400, EPX400 or RM400 discontinued Mercury cells.
thanks. Interesting site. I may buy one of these adapters.
In the meanwhile I did repair the cap with a bit of metal epoxy. Not pretty but fully functional.