Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need Advice On Adjusting Meter On ES II In Automatic Mode

Hi I have Pentax ESII with a version 2, type III board. I need to adjust the meter in automatic mode. I have some excerpts from ESII repair manual and also some article from SPT Journal from 1981 about adjusting the camera. So here's what I did

1. Adjusted auto speeds in an open diaphragm at EV8, EV12, and EV16 -- coarse and then fine adjustment. It worked!

2. Then I adjusted it with the closed aperture (stopped-down). It worked too!

Then I got confused as both sources suggest to adjust METER LEVEL. Indeed electronic board on my camera has two variable resistors for METER READ adjustment at EV8 and EV16. I don't get it what meter read is adjusted for? If I already adjusted everything in open- and stopped-down modes, when does 'meter read' kicks in?

Thanks for your input!!!

P.S. OOO, I see, I just re-read the sources and it seems that I am supposed to adjust auto speeds and stopped-down metering based on shutter speed tester. So I guess METER LEVEL would be adjusted visually through camera's viewfinder? Anyway I will appreciate any practical suggestions as this is my first experience adjusting ESII. Really love these cameras -- to me the heavier and the bulkier the better!

Attached Images

03-28-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know anything about these cameras, but from what I see there, the Auto Speed is shutter speed (which you would adjust using a shutter tester) and Meter Read is the level shown by the camera.