Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

Simple CLA for KX - seeking do it yourself advice

The mirror on my KX just started being sluggish, slow to rise up. So I´d like to tackle that my self and at the same time replace light seals, mirror buffer and do some lubrication. Somewhat too often I read replies in the theme ¨have it CLA´d"or ¨send it to Eric¨ ...but how would I actually do a basic check and re-lube by myself? is there a guide somewhere (perhaps on the forum/site) for this?

04-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skilpent Quote
is there a guide somewhere (perhaps on the forum/site) for this?
Nope...none that I am aware of. While the KX can generally be serviced by most repair technicians having '70s-era camera experience, the job is not for a beginner, unless one can accept damaging the camera during the attempt. If you bung it up, the repair will cost more than having it CLA'd.

This video gives an idea of what is inside the camera, but few clues as to what to do/not do.

(notice how the camera is reassembled after removing the main flex notice too the frequent use of blowing with mouth rather than a blower )

If you are still interested, practicing on a junk Spotmatic F along with the manuals on the page below might be helpful:

Pentax Manuals

Steve
04-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah, only a 5 minute job, then ....for a hyperactive youtuber wielding a surprisingly large pair of pliers.
I´ll simply do what I can after opening top and bottom covers to apply minimal lube, and replacing mirror bump rubber through the mount opening, also the rear door seals.