Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
Yeah, I usually do. I'm probably winding too much on before I close the door. I was paranoid with the KM because it didn't wind on properly, but the LX is much more reliable in that sense.
You don't really need to wind-on extra for security. Feed the leader into the "fingers" so the leader goes opposite of the rotation, wind-on once to start it making sure the sprockets are engaged and the film is straight on the rails, and close the door. Wind-on once more then spin the rewind knob until you *just* feel tension. Wind on once more and you can shoot if the rewind-knob turns as you advance. If it doesn't turn, open the door, pull it out, spool it back into the roll a bit and try again. This way you'll never expose more than two advances-worth while you're loading.

This is how I do it anyhow. I'm sure others differ. Once I get the feel of each camera's transport system I can often do it with just 1 advance. Some prefer not to do this simply because extra frames make it so the negs don't fit on just one page of a PrintFile holder once developed if you've several "extra" frames...

05-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
You don't really need to wind-on extra for security. Feed the leader into the "fingers" so the leader goes opposite of the rotation, wind-on once to start it making sure the sprockets are engaged and the film is straight on the rails, and close the door. Wind-on once more then spin the rewind knob until you *just* feel tension. Wind on once more and you can shoot if the rewind-knob turns as you advance. If it doesn't turn, open the door, pull it out, spool it back into the roll a bit and try again. This way you'll never expose more than two advances-worth while you're loading.

This is how I do it anyhow. I'm sure others differ. Once I get the feel of each camera's transport system I can often do it with just 1 advance. Some prefer not to do this simply because extra frames make it so the negs don't fit on just one page of a PrintFile holder once developed if you've several "extra" frames...

36-exposure rolls don't fit in my PrintFile holders...they hold 35 frames
05-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
36-exposure rolls don't fit in my PrintFile holders...they hold 35 frames
Sounds like you've got the 5-frame version. Get a pack of the wider 6-frame variety and you're set.

(the caveat being you need a wider binder to house them)

---------- Post added 05-25-18 at 12:26 PM ----------

I've used these the past few years. Work great. Amazon.com : Avery Extra-Wide Ezd Reference View Binder, 1.5 Inch Rings, White, 1 Binder (01319) : Office Products
05-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that for the next roll. The LX has a really smooth transport, I'm sure it'll work

05-26-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #35

The lines across the frame is a scanning artifact from the lab's film scanner, no fault of the camera. Also very unlikely a scratch on the negative, but that could still be the lab's fault, and the scanners are good at removing those. Used to run a photo lab at the local pharmacy, a Fuji Frontier 350 and a 60 roll per hour negative processor. I could do APS, 120 and 135 in that lab. Those were the days.
05-28-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I thread the leader between the needles and wind-on once before closing the back, then take up any slack in the rewind lever before advancing to the first frame - checking for rotation of the rewind lever. Mine often stop after half a frame advance after the 36th frame.
06-10-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@chickentender It worked! 36 frames...I think. We'll see what happens when they come back. Ran some Cinestill 800T through it, probably the best test for light leaks there is.

Would you folks trust the meter in this camera enough to shoot Provia in Aperture Priority mode? It seems pretty infallible so far. I bought some Provia just to try a slide film before Ektachrome comes back in 2085.

06-10-2018, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

@chickentender It worked! 36 frames...I think. We'll see what happens when they come back. Ran some Cinestill 800T through it, probably the best test for light leaks there is.
Wuh-bam. Nice. Only trouble with Cinestill is it's so unpredictable at times it'll show problems that you may *think* are light-leaks but are actually just Cinestill. Proceed with descretion.

QuoteQuote:
Would you folks trust the meter in this camera enough to shoot Provia in Aperture Priority mode? It seems pretty infallible so far. I bought some Provia just to try a slide film before Ektachrome comes back in 2085.
Yes. Absolutely if your exposures have seemed on thus far. It's one of the best meters in any 135 format camera.
Provia is my 2nd favorite. Lovely stuff. Velvia vibe without the crazy disney saturation.
My profile pic is Provia 100F. Shot in a Franka Solida III.
06-11-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep one of my favourite combos is Provia 100F & the LX. Of course when E100 is back, then I'm back in the Kodak camp full time.

Phil.
06-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Of course when E100 is back, then I'm back in the Kodak camp full time.
Yup. Honestly, I wish they'd start with 120.
06-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@chickentender I'm kind of excited to shoot a slide film because I accidentally bought slide archival sheets instead of regular 35mm archival sheets a year ago now I can finally use them. But HOLY BALLS is Provia expensive. I bought it from B&H where it's half the Canadian price (even with the exchange rate) and it was almost 20 bucks.

@gofour3 They just posted an update on E100, says they are doing another test of some sort this month. They had to change a bunch of stuff, chemistry-wise. I think they were kind of pre-mature when they announced it in 2017. I think they did the right thing when they brought back TMAX 3200. Basically no wait time.
06-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #42
Veteran Member

@chickentender I'm kind of excited to shoot a slide film because I accidentally bought slide archival sheets instead of regular 35mm archival sheets a year ago now I can finally use them. But HOLY BALLS is Provia expensive. I bought it from B&H where it's half the Canadian price (even with the exchange rate) and it was almost 20 bucks.
As mounted slide archival sheets? Yeah, I shoot tons of slides but I only ever mount the occasional one if I want to actually project it. Otherwise they all remain in 6-frame strips and are archived just like my negatives in the same type of Printfile sleeve.
06-12-2018, 06:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As mounted slide archival sheets? Yeah, I shoot tons of slides but I only ever mount the occasional one if I want to actually project it. Otherwise they all remain in 6-frame strips and are archived just like my negatives in the same type of Printfile sleeve.
Yeah, I think I will get them mounted, just for the heck of it. Doesn't cost any more and I might as well use the sheets.
06-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get all my 35mm slides mounted at the time of processing. I store them in Kodak Carousel trays for the first couple years, so they are ready for projection if required. The older Carousel slides eventually get moved to archival slide storage boxes, to make way for newer slides.

These archival storage boxes are great and stack-able, each box holds up to 1200 slides:

https://www.archivalmethods.com/blog/35mm-slide-storage-system/

Phil.
06-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I get all my 35mm slides mounted at the time of processing. I store them in Kodak Carousel trays for the first couple years, so they are ready for projection if required. The older Carousel slides eventually get moved to archival slide storage boxes, to make way for newer slides.

These archival storage boxes are great and stack-able, each box holds up to 1200 slides:

https://www.archivalmethods.com/blog/35mm-slide-storage-system/

Phil.
I think I would feel more like the great pro photographers of the past if I had a lot of slides kicking around. Most of my faves shot slides, after all.

On the other hand, man is Portra 400 good. I remember getting my first roll of it back and being blown away, even if my pictures weren't very good they LOOKED good.

How good is Provia for taking pictures of people?