Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
I think I would feel more like the great pro photographers of the past if I had a lot of slides kicking around. Most of my faves shot slides, after all.

On the other hand, man is Portra 400 good. I remember getting my first roll of it back and being blown away, even if my pictures weren't very good they LOOKED good.

How good is Provia for taking pictures of people?
Provia is better than Velvia for portraits, at any rate. (At least from what I understand, I have yet to shoot Provia. Velvia is a lot easier to get, for some reason).

06-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Space-wise, Carousel trays are of course not real efficient for storage.
However if you don't have a huge number of slides, and have the room to store them in their boxes,
they are extremely convenient. They're very inexpensive now as well, if you buy them used.

I too am looking forward to the new Ektachrome film when it is re-introduced.

Chris
06-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How good is Provia for taking pictures of people?
Other than street shots with people in them, or a few snaps of my wife, I mostly use b&w film for portrait/people shooting. However the Provia people shots that I have taken seem fine.

Phil.
06-13-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Other than street shots with people in them, or a few snaps of my wife, I mostly use b&w film for portrait/people shooting. However the Provia people shots that I have taken seem fine.
My experience as well. Provia is definitely better than Velvia at least in contrast and skin tones for people, but I generally don't use it for just "people" shots or portraits, except when it's a more environmental shot.

This was Provia. Missed focus a bit due to the scale focus on the Franka Solida III, but I still like it. Skin tones aren't bizarre as you can see.

This one as well... environmental, but with tones that aren't terribly unflattering for people.

Both those examples are old folding cameras with 120 film however.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.
06-14-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
but I generally don't use it for just "people" shots or portraits
Yeah I have this thing that people/portrait work looks better in b&w, less distraction (clothing/hair) than with colour shots. But sometimes you have colour film in the camera, so .......

Phil.
06-14-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I like colour for most things unless I'm going real abstract...though black and white portraits are quite nice (I'd still make them abstract or weird).

Also, hey look, new pictures. I'm going to have to start loading CineStill in the dark, it just loves to absorb light on the first few frames even if the light seals are perfect.

Sometimes it works out, though:

06-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Also, hey look, new pictures.
I love that first one actually. Really moody, nice.

06-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I love that first one actually. Really moody, nice.
Thank you! For once CineStill's love of red blobs worked out. Provides a nice colour contrast to the rest of the scene.

I usually shoot a few images in a sequence and then pick the best one. It kind of iterate them, so there are a few versions of that first shot that aren't as good, usually the last one is the one where I figure it out. Kind of wastes film but I dunno, has anybody ever shot the perfect roll? Maybe if I was more patient.

OH also for my birthday I got an AT-280 Flash from eBay, so hooray TTL metering. Any experience with that? Was planning on using it at night with Tri-X at 1600 to get nice and harsh. And for the wedding I have to shoot in August (less harsh)
06-14-2018, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

I usually shoot a few images in a sequence and then pick the best one. It kind of iterate them, so there are a few versions of that first shot that aren't as good, usually the last one is the one where I figure it out.
I normally have the opposite problem - I see something and shoot it instinctively, then decide I can do better and spend a couple more frames sometimes trying to "get". Usually the first one was the best.

Also, happy birthday.
06-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I normally have the opposite problem - I see something and shoot it instinctively, then decide I can do better and spend a couple more frames sometimes trying to "get". Usually the first one was the best.

Also, happy birthday.
I used to get bummed out by having lots of imperfect shots on a roll, but it's just part of the process. I've improved a lot over the last year.

Also, my birthday is the 21st...did the forum say it was today, haha
06-14-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

I used to get bummed out by having lots of imperfect shots on a roll, but it's just part of the process. I've improved a lot over the last year.

Also, my birthday is the 21st...did the forum say it was today, haha
Oh, no you just mentioned you got a flash for you bday so I figured it was nearby.
The auto-thyristor types are pretty foolproof. I've a 283 & a 285. There's a ton of write-ups on them. They're great - industry standard for a very long time.
06-15-2018, 03:37 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Oh, no you just mentioned you got a flash for you bday so I figured it was nearby.
The auto-thyristor types are pretty foolproof. I've a 283 & a 285. There's a ton of write-ups on them. They're great - industry standard for a very long time.
The 283's are great guns, but be careful with the trigger voltage - I've got two, one exceeds 270v, the other is about 12v - probably OK on old-school film SLRs (not sure about AF film SLRs) but likely to be dangerous to a DSLR.
06-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, right, right, well, thank you!

I just eBay searched the flash that the LX manual mentioned and did a bit of research. The LX manual is actually pretty well written and it has a big section on how to use the flash.
06-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The 283's are great guns, but be careful with the trigger voltage - I've got two, one exceeds 270v, the other is about 12v - probably OK on old-school film SLRs (not sure about AF film SLRs) but likely to be dangerous to a DSLR.
Yes, good call! Need to be sure and measure before popping one on any digital or you could well regret it!
06-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got an AT-280 Flash from eBay, so hooray TTL metering.
Great flash for your LX, that's also what I use. (AF280T)

Phil.