Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Great flash for your LX, that's also what I use. (AF280T)

Phil.
Is it pretty simple in operation? I've only used flash for film on Instax cameras, which is...not really the same, haha

06-15-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #62
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
I bought an LX
Enjoy it, still IMHO it's the finest offering made by Pentax.
06-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it pretty simple in operation? I've only used flash for film on Instax cameras, which is...not really the same, haha
Yes just turn it on, set it to TTL, select an aperture in the flash range and that's it!

Phil.
06-15-2018, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes just turn it on, set it to TTL, select an aperture in the flash range and that's it!

Phil.
I assume it syncs to 1/75th automatically, since that's the X speed? I should probably just read the manual, shouldn't I, haha

Also, here is an image I am on the fence about:

Usually I don't share my "for fun" images but I dunno, what do you think of this one, LX friends?

06-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume it syncs to 1/75th automatically, since that's the X speed?
Yep.

Phil.

PS You also have to adjust the films ASA on the flash and it's best to use the LX in the "Auto" shutter mode, so it meters off the film plane.

Last edited by gofour3; 06-16-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added more info
06-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep.

Phil.

PS You also have to adjust the films ASA on the flash and it's best to use the LX in the "Auto" shutter mode, so it meters off the film plane.
Excellent. It's all falling into place. I'll have to look up a guide for using flash properly in terms of not making people look like they are made of wax...unless I want them to
07-12-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd say Provia works pretty well for portraits:

Also, still lost on this flash thing. Why will it never give me confirmation that it exposed properly when I test flash?

07-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say Provia works pretty well for portraits:

Also, still lost on this flash thing. Why will it never give me confirmation that it exposed properly when I test flash?
What a great shot, well done!

If you are using the AF280T the Auto Flash Exposure Check does not work in the TTL Auto mode if I'm reading the manual correctly.

Here is a link to the Af280T manual, the password is Pentax

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/accessories/af280t.pdf

Phil.
07-12-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What a great shot, well done!

If you are using the AF280T the Auto Flash Exposure Check does not work in the TTL Auto mode if I'm reading the manual correctly.

Here is a link to the Af280T manual, the password is Pentax

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/accessories/af280t.pdf

Phil.
Thanks, though it looks a tad dark...I can always boost it if I need to. Here is another:

I have the hard copy of the manual from the eBay seller, it mentions in the "Precautions" section how to fix if the A. Check light isn't coming on in cameras with TTL flash provisions. So I would assume that the feature works in TLL Auto mode...maybe. I DO remember it flickering.
08-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anybody have any lens recommendations? I like the one I'm using quite a bit, except the bokeh is kind of lousy. Did Pentax ever make a more "pro-spec" 50mm than the M 1.7? Those Zeiss ones seem like not worth the money at all just to get more aperture blades.

Also, what's a good portrait lens?
08-12-2018, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

If you are looking for a good balance between bokeh and price in a 50mm lens, any of the 50mm 1.4s should be the sweet spot. I have the A and two of the Super Takumars and they are great. If you want a nice walkaround zoom, the SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 is my favorite. It's a bit slow, being a two-touch zoom, but it has great range, produces nice images, and I prefer the fixed 3.5 aperture. If you prefer a one-touch zoom and can live with less range and a variable aperture, the SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm F2.8-3.5 would be another great choice. If I were looking for a dedicated portrait lens, I'd look in the 85-150mm range with as wide a max aperture as possible. I prefer a longer lens for portraits, so I would look hard at the SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8. It's far more affordable than say, the SMC Pentax A* 85mm F1.4 but should produce great portraits with nice bokeh. If you don't mind using an M42 lens, I have the Super-Takumar 135mm F2.5 and it is a wonderful portrait lens at a very reasonable price.
08-12-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The LX looks really good with the 50mm f1.2 on it... but the f1.4 is better value, maybe...

And ‘lens to fit a LX’ sounds to me like one of those post-building threads since that includes anything with an aperture ring...

You could go weird... 24-35, 40-80, 45-125, 70-150 old zooms, for example...

The 20f4, 28f2.0, 35f2.0, 40f2.8, 85f2.0, 100f2.8, 120f2.8, and 135f2.5 all jump immediately to mind as primes I’d like to shoot with on a LX...

-Eric
08-12-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

The SMC Pentax 1:1.2 & 1:1.4 50mm are very good performers. In fact, all Pentax primes are all exceptional particularly in their ability to resolve detail. The 1:1.2 was never released in a Pentax-M version while the 1:1.4 is available in the original K as well as M variation.

As far as creamy bokeh here is also the 85mm 1:1.8.
08-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I feel the LX is best paired with K or M series lenses, it's a solid camera and feels nicer to use with solid lenses on the front. The one exception for me is the 43/1.9 Ltd, it is the perfect focal length for me and is built very well. I've tried the FA20-35/4 but it's a bit slow, the A35-105/3.5 is a very good lens but is a bit bulky and heavy. As an aside, lenses with engraved (rather than printed) aperture rings are easier to read in the aperture window of the 'finder.

The obvious portrait lens would be the FA77/1.8 Ltd - reported by some reviewers to be one of the best ever made, or perhaps one of the 85s.

My favourite three-lens line up is a K24/2.8, FA43/1.9 & K135/2.5 (unless I'm travelling where I may take the M135/3.5 as it's smaller and has a built in hood). I don't worry too much about bokeh, but I've read suggestions that the 50/1.7s generally render better than the 50/1.4s (I haven't noticed any obvious differences).
09-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The 1:1.2 was never released in a Pentax-M version while the 1:1.4 is available in the original K as well as M variation.
I believe that one difference between the K and the M lenses is that the smaller K's standardised on a 52mm filter thread while the smaller M's (and A's?) standardised on a 49mm thread. This is despite the fact that the previous smaller "SMC Takumar" lenses (the last screw-mount ones) had used 49mm filters*. So, unless you have special reason for a F1.2 lens for your LX, M or A-series camera, it would be a PITA as a standard lens with regard to filters. While I have a semi-permanent skylight filter for each lens, I prefer to buy only one red, soft focus or other special filter to share between them. The A-series F1.2 also had a 52mm filter thread so I guess the front element was just too large to squeeze within 49mm.

I am of course using the term "K lens" loosely. As seen in LesDMess's picture they were never called that (unlike the M's which were called "Pentax-M"). The lenses contemporary with the K-series cameras were called "SMC Pentax".

* I don't think there ever was a SMC Takumar F1.2 lens