Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2018, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have most of the SMC - M & K "normal" lenses: f 1.2, 1.4, 1.7, & 2.0. For the characteristics I value the 1.7 is the best performer. In correcting the faster lenses for edge performance there results an "unsharp zone" about midway between center and corner that is obvious in landscapes and such. You can see this dip in the MTF charts of the lenses. If you shoot mainly portraits and centered subjects you may prefer this effect, but I find it disturbing.
I've found the same thing in Canon, Nikon, and even Leica lenses; that the 1.4 models (non-asph versions) start to show less sharpness across the field than their best 1.8-2.0 lenses, although they may be fine in the center and have other characteristics that are outstanding. but on all these brands I went back to the slower lenses.
One lens you might like on your LX is the SMC-A 50 2.8 macro lens: good bokeh (smooth character, but not the pronounced blur of a faster lens) and overall good performance. I use it a lot on full-frame digital.