Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 11:05 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compactness...

Just a fun picture about my cameras for those who think Leicas are small compared to SLRs. Well... not in Pentax world.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
04-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yup. Preaching to the choir around here though.
04-03-2018, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I know this will never happen, but submitted a request to camerasize.com, that they open it up and allow users to submit and scale images of film cameras as well. Coming from my thread in the medium format section of the site, I’d love to see a Pentax 67 or Mamiya RZ67 next to a Pentax Q.

I have noticed that there is a user here who seems to already have scaled photos of a lot of Pentax SLRs and other I believe (since I’ve seen posts of different Nikon F series cameras with different viewfinders. I’m afraid I don’t know his name though.
04-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I know this will never happen, but submitted a request to camerasize.com, that they open it up and allow users to submit and scale images of film cameras as well. Coming from my thread in the medium format section of the site, I’d love to see a Pentax 67 or Mamiya RZ67 next to a Pentax Q.

I have noticed that there is a user here who seems to already have scaled photos of a lot of Pentax SLRs and other I believe (since I’ve seen posts of different Nikon F series cameras with different viewfinders. I’m afraid I don’t know his name though.
That'd be LX enthusiast extraordinaire, LesDMess.

(I know there's a better way to link him using the forum BBCode, but I'll be darned if I remember how to do it. So I'll just quote him. )

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-03-2018 at 05:07 PM.
04-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
Just a fun picture about my cameras for those who think Leicas are small compared to SLRs. Well... not in Pentax world.
Nice side by side! I too was surprised when my buddy brought in his M6. However, I was stunned when he told me what he paid for it plus one lens!

The Pentax LX clearly stood the world of interchanggeable viewfinder cameras on it's head with the Pentax LX!

I'm being kind to the Nikons showing them with their clean prisms. The LX was the last clean prism but unlike the Nikons, it still has it's meter and we all know what a meter that is!
04-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be fair compactness is not just about the size of the camera body, but also the lens.
For nearly any focal length rangefinder camera lenses are far smaller than those for SLRs.

Chris
04-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
To be fair compactness is not just about the size of the camera body, but also the lens.
For nearly any focal length rangefinder camera lenses are far smaller than those for SLRs.

Chris
Quite true. And also to be fair, they don't have to accommodate a prism.

But to that end... "The Contender: Project Leitz Control" hahah

04-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice side by side! I too was surprised when my buddy brought in his M6. However, I was stunned when he told me what he paid for it plus one lens!

The Pentax LX clearly stood the world of interchanggeable viewfinder cameras on it's head with the Pentax LX!

I'm being kind to the Nikons showing them with their clean prisms. The LX was the last clean prism but unlike the Nikons, it still has it's meter and we all know what a meter that is!
What do you mean by clean prism?
04-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
What do you mean by clean prism?
I believe he means the opposite of this:
Attached Images

04-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
True, although recent large aperture Leica and Voigtlander lenses tend to be as big as SLR ones. I have a few of the early Voigtlanders (15mm, 21mm, 25mm and 35mm) and they are small as rangefinder lenses should be. Not speed demons though.

---------- Post added 04-04-18 at 09:51 PM ----------

When I got my Leica M4 serviced last year I took my Voigtlander Bessa R2 with me to show it to the technician. He is a reputable Leica guy here in the UK servicing Leicas for decades.
He was very impressed with the Bessa as he has not handled one before. When I had a chat with him recently he told me someone was after a used Leica, but found them too expensive. He then recommended the lady to get a Bessa instead. Speaks for itself I think.
04-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I’ve been wanting to try a rangefinder but the Leicas are just too high. I’ve been thinking about a bessa too. Not sure which one to get though.
04-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When I got my Leica M4 serviced last year I took my Voigtlander Bessa R2 with me to show it to the technician. He is a reputable Leica guy here in the UK servicing Leicas for decades.
He was very impressed with the Bessa as he has not handled one before. When I had a chat with him recently he told me someone was after a used Leica, but found them too expensive. He then recommended the lady to get a Bessa instead. Speaks for itself I think.
No sense recommending one she could not afford . . .
04-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Leica's are small compared to SLRs... They're systems no?

I shoot 35mm with both Pentax (MX and LX with M and K primes) and Leica (M2 with Voigtlander and Leitz primes) and yes, the MX and M2 are roughly the same dimensions. But stick some lenses on and that changes pretty quick...

True, although recent large aperture Leica and Voigtlander lenses tend to be as big as SLR ones. I have a few of the early Voigtlanders (15mm, 21mm, 25mm and 35mm) and they are small as rangefinder lenses should be. Not speed demons though.
I'm genuinely curious which lenses you're talking about? I don't know of any recent Leica or Voigt lenses as big as equivalent SLR lenses..?
04-05-2018, 08:38 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Leica's are small compared to SLRs... They're systems no?

I shoot 35mm with both Pentax (MX and LX with M and K primes) and Leica (M2 with Voigtlander and Leitz primes) and yes, the MX and M2 are roughly the same dimensions. But stick some lenses on and that changes pretty quick...

I'm genuinely curious which lenses you're talking about? I don't know of any recent Leica or Voigt lenses as big as equivalent SLR lenses..?
I meant mainly the Heliar 15mm that grew with each version. But other large aperture lenses seem to quite big for a rangefinder lens. Top: 35mm 1.2 Nokton, bottom: Skopar 35mm 2.4. I get that large aperture is an advantage but it sort of takes away the advantage of rangefinder systems ( small lens with a compact/ish/ body).
Attached Images

04-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The Leica is still pretty much the same size when it went digital. The SLR went bigger in general.