Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smartphones are larger even than Gossen meters, which are larger than some of my 35mm cameras.

I suppose the light meter app will still work once the cellphone is obsolete.
But once again the battery will also likely become unavailable.

Chris

11-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agreed. But I always have the phone anyway, so it doesn’t add weight.

I would love a hot shoe meter, but those things are pricey...

-Eric
11-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Agreed. But I always have the phone anyway, so it doesn’t add weight.

I would love a hot shoe meter, but those things are pricey...

-Eric
Yeah, if you have a phone with you anyway then it's not extra gear I figure too.

I once went out to do some twilight pictures and I forgot my light meter. The Sunny 16 wasn't going to save me. I was pissed! Then I remembered about light meter apps. I downloaded one on the spot and gave it a try. It worked really nice. Now, I use a light meter app much more often since I already have the phone with me.
11-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light meter apps notwithstanding IMO carrying a phone is not particularly conducive to photography.

Chris

11-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #110
Pentaxian

It saved the day for me!
11-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #111
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Now, I use a light meter app much more often since I already have the phone with me.
They must have improved greatly since the last time I used one. Do you care to share what app did the trick for you?

Steve
11-22-2018, 10:31 AM - 4 Likes   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They must have improved greatly since the last time I used one. Do you care to share what app did the trick for you?

Steve
I downloaded the first one I found that day. I'm looking for a name of the app and all it says is Lightmeter and looks like a brown handhold incident meter with a dial. It has a reflective mode where it takes a picture with the phone's camera for its metering. That works well. I've used it for night, twilight and high contrast scenes and I'm satisfied with the results I get.

I used the app on these fair pictures with Delta 3200 when I forgot to bring my one-degree.

The app meter placed the low values at least a stop lower in value than I would have if I used my one-degree, I'm sure. But I like how it favored the high values keeping the people in the dark and more anonymous

Last edited by tuco; 11-22-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: What the heck, add one more picture
11-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one I use is called ‘Pocket Light Meter’ for iOS.

A couple of years ago, when I had an Android phone, I couldn’t find a meter that worked reliably with my phone.

The Android developers basically calibrated their apps to a couple of hardware combinations and skipped the rest. If you had a newer flagship phone (but not too new), you were fine, but if you had something more entry level, all bets were off... I’m not sure if that’s still how it works...

-Eric
11-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #114
Pentaxian

I used the app on these fair pictures with Delta 3200 when I forgot to bring my one-degree.
A bit OT, but they are remarkably clean results from D3200!
11-22-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
A bit OT, but they are remarkably clean results from D3200!
Yeah, they are pretty clean looking scaled down to this size. They were shot at EI 1600 and they are from my 6x9 rangefinder. The larger the negative area the smaller the grain appears to be.

I posted these a while back. This from a 6x17 using Delta 3200. I think the grain looks finer still.

11-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
As I understand it, the accuracy depends on the quality of the phone camera. I have a Can.$50 (new, no contract) android with 5MP camera (the photos are pretty crappy). The "Lightmeter" app seems to give roughly the same readings as my ancient Sekonic L-188 with dodgy battery contacts in daylight. Haven't really used it though. I am curious if it works better in low light than the handheld.
11-23-2018, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smartphones are kind of like a Swiss Army knife.
Jack of all trades but master of none.

I prefer the simplicity, ergonomics and reliability of purpose-built devices.

Why not simply take a small working exposure meter for backup?
Then you can leave the electronic leash - er, I mean cellphone - shut off.

Chris
11-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Matrix metering of a smart phone is a level of sophistication above a simple light meter, no? I'd think that is one reason.
11-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Typically when using a separate light meter you are working thoughtfully, perhaps taking more time.
Used in this manner who needs matrix metering? Surely your mind's experience is smarter than any gizmo.

Chris
11-23-2018, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #120
Pentaxian

Matrix metering of a smart phone is a level of sophistication above a simple light meter, no? I'd think that is one reason.
Two quibbles:

1. A matrix metering app will only work if you can duplicate the field of view (the equivalent focal length).

2. The beauty of matrix metering is that it is usually so good that one does not have to learn anything about exposure. And the curse of matrix metering is that it is usually so good that one does not have to learn anything about exposure! (And thus one has no clue how to handle a black cat on a black sofa.)

With a primitive light meter, one quickly learns that it makes mistakes and subsequently learns a lot about "proper" exposure in a world that is not 18% gray.