Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I'm sure the green stripes are a dead giveaway for Fujifilm, too.

The red capped ones might be rebadged Sakura ( the film brand name of Konica until 1987).

Last edited by Helios 1984; 06-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.
06-13-2018, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Konica=Konishiroku: They even had a "baby film" that was designed to make the bluish purple color of newborns more "aesthetic" for the family.

All this talk, I think I'll grab few rolls of Konica on ebay. :-)
06-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
Konica (Sakura) used to make C-41 films until 2006, they had a full lineup. There was also Solaris made by Ferrania, which I'm certain will make a comeback.
Solaris 100 is literally the one film I wish I'd discovered far, far sooner. Fell in love with the stuff immediately before the old stocks dried up everywhere.
Steve was kind enough trade with me for a couple rolls (white-labeled) a few years ago. I still have one left.

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 01:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
All this talk, I think I'll grab few rolls of Konica on ebay. :-)
If you can find some old Centuria Pro 400 in 120 or 220, let me know. Everything I don't quite like about Pro400H and Portra are solved by that stuff, for my tastes anyhow. Wish it were still around.
06-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agfa Optima film was excellent. It was a C-41 color negative film.
It was their professional film, positioned above their consumer Vista line.

Chris

06-14-2018, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Agfa Optima film was excellent. It was a C-41 color negative film.
Although all color negs were compatible with Kodak's C-41 processing, in my experience using CN-16 for Fujicolor, CNK-4 for Konica, or AP-70 for Agfa, gave slightly better results. (Scotch/3M was always a loser in this situation without their own chems and photographic paper).

When Kodak formulated C-22, which evolved into C-41, their tests were for and with Kodak emulsions. The other three processes are almost identical, but are slightly biased for their own emulsions.

Back in the 80's when I managed a lab, the owner at one point switched us from Kodak chems and papers to Fujifilm (less expensive). Suddenly we found it very difficult to get the same aesthetics and tech specs from Kodak negs. The Fujifilm, however, was looking better than ever.

In the U.S., I had always thought that Agfa had the least realistic palette and typically got funky prints....sometimes neat, sometimes horrible (like Instagram filters). It wasn't until I lived in Switzerland and took my Agfa film to a lab that used all Agfa chems and paper that I got excellent results.

I know they are all cross compatible, but from my experience, I either seek out a lab that's using the chems that match the brand of film I'm shooting, or I will shoot with film of the same brand as the chems (and/or paper) from that lab.
09-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Only Kodak and Fujifilm have ever introducted C-41 film, to my knowledge.
In the film era, Kodak had the monopoly with Fujifilm a distant second. But in the US there was 3M/Scotch, in Japan there was Konishiroku (Konica), and in Europe there was also Agfa. I believe all the other labels were repackaged from one of these five color negative makers.
09-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the film era, Kodak had the monopoly with Fujifilm a distant second. But in the US there was 3M/Scotch, in Japan there was Konishiroku (Konica), and in Europe there was also Agfa. I believe all the other labels were repackaged from one of these five color negative makers.
In South Africa, Fuji had a big slice of the market. They even had a cheaper brand, Tudor, which was regular Fujifilm with different packaging. Rumour had it that Tudor did not have the sma quality control as Fuji, but I never saw any difference.

09-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
In South Africa, Fuji had a big slice of the market. They even had a cheaper brand, Tudor, which was regular Fujifilm with different packaging. Rumour had it that Tudor did not have the sma quality control as Fuji, but I never saw any difference.
Kodak's "monopoly" was more of a global perspective. Of course in Asia, Fujifilm was king and in much of Europe, Agfa was a major player.

I remember the Tudor film in a purple and white canister. It usually said "Made in UK" but I'm pretty sure that was from the Fujifilm factory in Bedfordshire which still makes film today.
09-10-2018, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember the Tudor film in a purple and white canister. It usually said "Made in UK" but I'm pretty sure that was from the Fujifilm factory in Bedfordshire which still makes film today.
Interesting! By us they were clear canisters. I still have a whole heap of them. They come in handy for small screws from time to time!
09-10-2018, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I recall, the 3-M films were actually made by Ferrania in Italy. A group is now trying to re-start film production there. FILM Ferrania
09-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Interesting! By us they were clear canisters.
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
As I recall, the 3-M films were actually made by Ferrania in Italy. A group is now trying to re-start film production there. FILM Ferrania
I wrote canisters....I meant the metal cassette had a white and purple label. Yes, clear canisters would make sense if they were repackaged Fujifilm.

3M made in Italy? Never knew that, but I only processed that film and never shot it myself, thus, never saw the box with the "Made in...." info.

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/List_of_discontinued_photographic_films
09-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
As I recall, the 3-M films were actually made by Ferrania in Italy.
Yep! At some point 3M started rebranding and if it said "Made in Italy" on the box, it was Ferrania.

Edit: I did a little research and found that Ferrania was actually owned by 3M for several decades until about 1996. 3M was often rebranded as Ferrania and vice versa.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.
09-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wrote canisters....I meant the metal cassette had a white and purple label. Yes, clear canisters would make sense if they were repackaged Fujifilm.
Aha! You know, for the life of me, I could not remember he colour of the negative roll / metal cassette!
09-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I almost exclusively shot slides or BW for many years, then got into digitial, and it was only when I started shooting more film again that I finally started using more colour print film by which time choices where limited. Mostly I've used Ektar and Portra, and some Fuji Pro 400H.

I shot slides for many years as part of my life involves giving lectures, and for a long time that meant having slides. With the rise of the dreaded powerpoint and data projectors that freed me up to use a wider range of colour films.