Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You get a k1000, you get a k1000!

Everybody gets a k1000 on shopgoodwill, which seems to be in abundance there in some cases pretty cheap here (Asahi Pentax K1000 Film Camera - shopgoodwill.com) and here (Pentax K1000 35mm SLR Camera with 50mm Lens - shopgoodwill.com) lol

04-08-2018, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #2

Most of the time they end up as the rear cap for the lens you want.
04-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, there was two that had a lens I wanted, but they both started out with a bidding war from the get-go when I stared bidding on it & quickly bailed on 'em 'cuz I knew it was just going to get worse towards the end & the price got to high for me
04-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Typically they seem to go up to around the $70 range in the end, independent of the lens.

04-09-2018, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And remember two very important things about that website...

No warranty, no inspection, no clue... usually not even a ‘shutter clicks when the button is pushed’. Things bought are truly as-is...

Shipping is a profit center, and some of the Goodwill locations have discovered this. I’m looking at you, Goodwill of the Columbia-Willamette...

-Eric
04-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And if you like M42 mount Takumars, they also have a lot of 3 lenses with cases (28mm f3.5, 135mm f3.5, 200mm f4) with only like 1 bid for $5 bucks: 3 Takumar Lenses - 1:3.5/28, 1:3.5/135, 1:4/200 - shopgoodwill.com
04-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Shipping is a profit center, and some of the Goodwill locations have discovered this. I’m looking at you, Goodwill of the Columbia-Willamette...

-Eric
I shouldn't have, but I really wanted that MD 45mm F/2...The Vivitar is junk and was probably included to drive up shipping...I ended up paying about what I would have on eBay. Why is it that Columbia-Willamette always has good stuff? My rule of thumb is to never buy anything west of the Mississippi

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 11.40.10 AM.png
Views: 515
Size:  91.7 KB

They always sit on an order for days too. Except the last two purchases I made from Texas...those shipped quickly...

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-09-2018 at 08:58 AM.
04-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
CDW
Site Supporter

Was the K1000 made in China? One picture shows a Made in China label.
04-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I shouldn't have, but I really wanted that MD 45mm F/2...The Vivitar is junk and was probably included to drive up shipping...I ended up paying about what I would have on eBay. Why is it that Columbia-Willamette always has good stuff? My rule of thumb is to never buy anything west of the Mississippi

Attachment 394444

They always sit on an order for days too. Except the last two purchases I made from Texas...those shipped quickly...
Ouch, I bought a 45 f/2 locally for 20$. I wouldn't ever pay more than that for it.

You have to really get lucky with shopgoodwill. If you be really patient you can get something great for really cheap, but more often than not bidding wars drive prices to be higher than what you'd pay on eBay, all for a camera/lens in as-is condition with usually terrible photos, and a massively inflated shipping price. Check out the item weight vs shipping weight on some of their items. A lens which shouldn't be more than 2-3 lbs to ship will at times be inflated to a 10-12 lb shipping weight which drives up the price like crazy.
04-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Ouch, I bought a 45 f/2 locally for 20$. I wouldn't ever pay more than that for it.

You have to really get lucky with shopgoodwill. If you be really patient you can get something great for really cheap, but more often than not bidding wars drive prices to be higher than what you'd pay on eBay, all for a camera/lens in as-is condition with usually terrible photos, and a massively inflated shipping price. Check out the item weight vs shipping weight on some of their items. A lens which shouldn't be more than 2-3 lbs to ship will at times be inflated to a 10-12 lb shipping weight which drives up the price like crazy.
They do use an awful lot of bubble-wrap, though.
04-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Yeah, just got a camera from them & there was a good amount of bubblewrap in there, all the more to use for something else haha
04-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
And boxes that are much bigger than they need to be...that is why the shipping weight is higher than the actual weight...carriers charge by the size of the package now, not the actual weight...and UPS & FedEx (which Columbia-Willamette uses) are worse about that than USPS...

And no way do the box and bubble wrap cost $4.00...unless they are also charging you the $2.00/hr they are paying the disabled person doing the packing...and I've gotten boxes from goodwill that had been used before and were stuffed with old newspaper...
04-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

Attachment 394444

Yeah, I just won a Pantera "Scarf Wall Hanging" (more like a small throw blanket) from a goodwill in Upstate/Midlands South Carolina, paid it last night, and they already had it at FedEx this morning shipping to me, which should be here by Saturday
04-11-2018, 04:54 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Yeah, I just won a Pantera "Scarf Wall Hanging" (more like a small throw blanket) from a goodwill in Upstate/Midlands South Carolina, paid it last night, and they already had it at FedEx this morning shipping to me, which should be here by Saturday
Mine is being delivered by Pony Express...

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 7.53.16 AM.png
Views: 323
Size:  83.3 KB
04-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Was the K1000 made in China? One picture shows a Made in China label.
The K1000 is one of the longest time manufactured film cameras ever. Production finished in late 90's (!). As far as I know, manufacture moved from Japan to China at some point and some units were produced in Hong-Kong too. I am not completely sure about this, but the use of plastics may be a sign (among others) of non-Japanese production.