Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

ME Super wind lever problems

Hi all,
I just bought an ME Super that seems in excellent condition, except the wind lever doesn't block after pulling the next frame into position. This means I could theoretically pull a whole roll of film through without firing the shutter once.
Any tips on how to repair this would be much appreciated.

04-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I'm no expert but could the rewind button be stuck in by some chance? I seem to remember it exhibits this sort of behaviour if rewind button is pressed.
Also does the photo counter increment?
04-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the camera is operating normally, pushing the rewind button will allow the shutter to be cocked, but the film will not advance. This procedure is used for multiple exposures. However once the shutter is cocked the advance lever should not let you advance any further until the shutter is released.

Sounds like the camera could do with a service.
04-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This happens to old ME series. Sometimes it is mirror box levers needing lubricating. Sometimes the problem is some sticky parts. If the mirror box doesn't cock, the wind lever won't stop.

04-10-2018, 03:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the help.
The rewind button is not stuck in, and the frame counter goes up every time the lever is cocked, even if the shutter isn't fired.
After messing around with it for a bit I found that after cocking the lever, if I lightly press on the shutter release button without firing the shutter, it then locks the wind lever like it should. I can only assume that there is a lever inside that is a bit stiff and not moving int place until prompted by the shutter release button.
Does that make sense?
If I can manage to take apart the camera and find the issue, what sort of oil can be used to lubricate it? I have some 3 in 1 and some sewing machine oil.
Thanks again
04-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flumpy_Wumpy Quote
Thanks for the help.
The rewind button is not stuck in, and the frame counter goes up every time the lever is cocked, even if the shutter isn't fired.
After messing around with it for a bit I found that after cocking the lever, if I lightly press on the shutter release button without firing the shutter, it then locks the wind lever like it should. I can only assume that there is a lever inside that is a bit stiff and not moving int place until prompted by the shutter release button.
Does that make sense?
If I can manage to take apart the camera and find the issue, what sort of oil can be used to lubricate it? I have some 3 in 1 and some sewing machine oil.
Thanks again
Silicone spray. Take off the bottom cover, be careful not to lose any bits. Don't turn it over or things like the rewind button will fall out . Either use the spray tube or spray the silicone on a needle or similar and drip it in in small quantities on any gears and bearings you see. Unlike 3in1 etc. it won't rot plastic parts and it seems not to go sticky with age. I've resuscitated several cameras like this. I haven't needed to go any deeper into the camera than that. You may need to use the lever in the mirror box to reset things. (the one on the left, looking from the front.) . The wind lever and shutter may need a few cycles to get everything worked in.

If you still have a problem, open the film door and look at the shutter curtain. If you can see two arms and rivets VERY GENTLY move the curtain up (fingernail is the ideal implement if your hands don't shake) and release it. It should flick right down so only one rivet shows. Don't try this step on the precious camera you have inherited from your beloved granddad because the shutter curtain is very easily damaged.

This is a quick and dirty remedy of course, and if the light seals are also manky and you want to keep the camera for the next 20 years send it off for a proper CLA. This is supplied without warranty and your mileage may vary, etc.

Last edited by redbirdpete; 04-18-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Clarification and cautions.
04-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Any Silicon spray should be used with extreme caution, it's ok on mechanical parts but it is almost impossible to get Silicon off of any glass surfaces without using some very harsh cleaning substances.

04-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
Any Silicon spray should be used with extreme caution, it's ok on mechanical parts but it is almost impossible to get Silicon off of any glass surfaces without using some very harsh cleaning substances.
Agreed. fortunately it has only in my experience been necessary to use it under the bottom cover, so well away from any glass.