Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 10:07 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cameras That Were Ridden Hard and Put Away Wet

I thought it'd be fun to share photos and possibly stories of film cameras that have seen some hard use.... more to love as it were. Most around here post up the glamour shots (rightly so) of the prettiest our cameras can be. I think all the others deserve a spotlight...
They've usually, very OBVIOUSLY given shooters frame upon frame, often years of service brutal service, and they wouldn't know a feather duster or a glass case unless they snapped a photo of one tossed out a window in a war zone.

So whatcha got. What's been ridden hard and put away wet and either keeps ticking or buckled under the strain? Doesn't have to be your personal cameras, but that's even more fun.

Starting it off with a shot of an SPII from an auction I was looking at which is what sparked this idea. It's ugly as all get out, and somehow I love it all the more.
What stories has this thing been a part of? The seller is located in Berkley, no less. Anyhow... I'm sure there are better examples, but I like this one.

Attached Images

04-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since the name is covered I vote for tax and customs issues
04-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Since the name is covered I vote for tax and customs issues
Really? How do you mean? As in an import/selling issue, or a traveler's customs entry issue? I don't follow.
04-17-2018, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When Honeywell owned the right to sell Pentax in the US, someone receiving a camera from oversees might receive a letter from the customs office staying that you would have to promise to grind off or otherwise permanently obscure the trademark. You would have to sign a document stating that you would do so to get your camera or lens out of customs. A friend of mine received such a letter.

04-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry I wasn't clear. Thanks pentaxus for the clarification.
04-17-2018, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Forum Member

I don't have any battered cameras to show... but I certainly have some neglected ones. I abandoned photography in 1992, after a 20-year career as a freelance photographer. I put all of my equipment up on a shelf where it sat, untouched, for the next 25 years.

The first photo below shows my Spiratone 400mm f/6.3 telephoto covered with 25 years of dust!

This lens is my second oldest lens, purchased in 1973. It had quite a distinguished career, including photographing a Kansas tornado, and the King of Sweden. It has some wear & tear that can't be seen in the photo: the focusing action is a bit rough, like the threads are beginning to wear out, and there's some haze on the rear element.

The second photo shows the cleaned-up 400mm attached to my Pentax SF1n. The SF1n was covered with just as much dust as the 400mm, but I didn't think to get a photo of it before I cleaned it. After cleaning the SF1n, I put a fresh battery in it and it works like a charm; I've already shot a roll of TMax with it that turned out fine.
Attached Images

04-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright... Who came in and sniped my bid for the camera in the first post!?!?!?!

Jerk. lol

04-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I tried to acquire this LX that was posted on a local CL as I was really curious to find out whether or not any part of it still worked!

04-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I tried to acquire this LX that was posted on a local CL as I was really curious to find out whether or not any part of it still worked!

Looks like it was buried!
04-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That should be a criminal offence!
04-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Looks like it was buried!
Exactly my first thoughts as well!

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 05:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
That should be a criminal offence!
Mind you it was listed as fully functional and not below $100 if I remember correctly.
04-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A little windex and a toothbrush would probably have it looking nearly like new again. The hand grip is worth nearly $100 by itself if yo use the asking prices on Ebay as a guide.
04-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
A little windex and a toothbrush ...
The magic duo.
Add Ronsonol to that line up and you have the trifecta!
05-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had to include some pics of this adventure here. Won a camera lot of Konica goodness that was in immaculate condition aside from the years of dust and being stored for who-knows-how-long in foam-padded cases probably in a basement. There was just a bit of "fungus amongus" the seller didn't mention. It was so cheap I didn't care but I DID keep everything FAR away from all my other gear and glass. I've got two of them cleaned up all sparkling at this point, but here are some "before" shots... and mind you most of these were AFTER a cursory external dusting/wiping. Nasty.
Attached Images

05-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By the way if anyone around here has a link to or 1st hand knowledge of a Hexanon 200mm f4 disassembly, it'd be appreciated!

EDIT: Nevermind - I sorted it out by referencing an old Nikkor 200mm tear-down video.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 05-23-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: additional info