Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote

Of all the SLR cameras I have used I like the viewfinders in the LX, the MX and the Olympus OM 1 the best. They made focusing and composing a real joy.
Indeed. That's a fine lineup of finders right there.

My LX is definitely clearer and nicer than either of my MX bodies - not by a very large margin, but I do often let out a small sigh of relief (eye relief hah) each time I pull the LX to my eye after shooting something else for a while. Same with the MX, just not quite as loud of a sigh.

04-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Of all the SLR cameras I have used I like the viewfinders in the LX, the MX and the Olympus OM 1 the best. They made focusing and composing a real joy.
That's probably why AF cameras have no value for me as these viewfinders make it so easy to get critical focus.
04-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
I actually don't find it too difficult to manually focus most AF cameras with MF lenses, which is surprising since I'm somewhat sight impaired. I have seen it suggested that AF cameras don't have split image screens because it can somehow interfere with focus? But it is often difficult to manually focus AF lenses because the focussing ring is difficult to handle and often too rapid in operation.
04-22-2018, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
I actually don't find it too difficult to manually focus most AF cameras with MF lenses, which is surprising since I'm somewhat sight impaired.
Just a little difficult then . . .

I find it exceptionally easy to achieve critical focus even when using an f1.2 lens - which of course has an extremely narrow field of focus, wide open. I don't have an AF Pentax body other then my K20D DSLR - which has an even tinier viewfinder then a AF film camera, and my success rate was very poor with the same lens.

BTW, I just had my eyes checked and thankful that I still have 20/20 which isn't bad for an old man whose siblings and parents all wear glasses.

04-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

I find it exceptionally easy to achieve critical focus even when using an f1.2 lens - which of course has an extremely narrow field of focus, wide open. I don't have an AF Pentax body other then my K20D DSLR - which has an even tinier viewfinder then a AF film camera, and my success rate was very poor with the same lens.

BTW, I just had my eyes checked and thankful that I still have 20/20 which isn't bad for an old man whose siblings and parents all wear glasses.
I have two Z1p's, one equipped with a Beattie split field focusing screen... and manual focusing is a joy and easy as much as with e.g. a LX. Cheers
04-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Yes, the AF Pentax film cameras just seem to go for peanuts. Any exceptions to that? What is generally considered to be the best Pentax AF film camera? The problem is that after the Super A/Program, all the Pentax film bodies look kind of funny, with that 1980s boxy look.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 03:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
If you compare the reliability of the K1000 against its replacement model, the ZX-M/MZ-M, I don't think its too mysterious why the K1000 is so liked.

Granted, there are several Pentax models that match it in reliability, and outclass it in features.

Part of the cult of the K1000 seems to be that its simplicity is its biggest feature.
....and the old adage that nothing succeeds like success.
04-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Yes, the AF Pentax film cameras just seem to go for peanuts. Any exceptions to that? What is generally considered to be the best Pentax AF film camera? The problem is that after the Super A/Program, all the Pentax film bodies look kind of funny, with that 1980s boxy look.[COLOR="Silver"]
The MZ-S is the only AF Pentax 35mm body that I've seen routinely sell for decent money.

Pentax MZ-S - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

04-25-2018, 09:33 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
I have two Z1p's, one equipped with a Beattie split field focusing screen... and manual focusing is a joy and easy as much as with e.g. a LX. Cheers
I don't have a Z1p so I perused the reviews here and the Z1p seems well received but manual focusing of lenses was not a standout characteristic. You should post a review to point that out.
04-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #39

You win some, you lose some....

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
I've never had a Chinon that worked. I've never paid more than 50 bucks for a K1000. I had one CLA'd because the take up spool clutch was too stiff.
I suppose we all have our own life experiences and prejudices.
Here's my story in the context of film cameras:

- I own 3 Pentaxes (2 ME Supers, 1 MG). All were bought on e-bay. 1 ME Super worked and has continued to do so for a decade or so. The other ME Super did not, I knew from the outset it would need fixing. I had it fixed by the famous US-based Pentax repair man. It sat pretty much unused for four years then developed a wind-on fault and had to be fixed again. The bonny little MG has always worked. Cheap as chips and very loveable.

- I own 3 Chinon cameras (1 CG-5, 2 CP-9AF). The CG-5 I bought from a thrift shop for $6. It has always worked flawlessly. The CP-9AFs I bought on e-bay in separate options. They have always worked flawlessly. My impression is that the CP-9AFs in particular are very, very strong, as are their autofocus lenses, and in my view could possibly be reliable enough for use in a professional role.

I like ALL my cameras, Pentax and Chinon, they all have their different personalities. I just hope that if I exercise them and treat them with respect they will give me continuing good service.
04-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #40
Pentaxian

As much as I like film cameras, it is not a very feasible option in Australia. Unlike the UK and the US, both the cost of film and developing is super high. Just doesn't make film a practical ongoing option. It's a shame as I love the Nikon and Pentax film cameras I have.
04-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I was just confirmed at 20/25 in both eyes after cataract lens replacement surgery. I can focus manual lenses very well with the K-1, especially if a particular lens features a sharp focus ‘snap’. Critical focus with a Macro or K/A 50mm f/1.2 requires Focus Peaking though.
04-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #42

I don't have a Z1p so I perused the reviews here and the Z1p seems well received but manual focusing of lenses was not a standout characteristic. You should post a review to point that out.
Hi! All merit goes to the Bettie Intenscreen, this one:
http://www.intenscreen.com/products_35mm-format_pentax.htm
I am using model no. 82453. Which has a split-image screen with a grid. Besides it is one stop brighter than the default screen (I correct the metering by changing the film sensitivity setting). On top, I have also installed by default a o-me53 magnifier. Therefore, all in all... It is impossible not to focus right with this setup!!! To mention also that the added screen does not alter at all the AF capability.
I like the Z1p. I have two bodies, both with the plastic grip for a way better handling. One body with the aforementioned focussing screen, which makes MF a easy peasy operation. The default screen is ok but nothing special (darker, no split-image, and with that horrible panorama lines!). Also true that, lately, I am enjoying more and more to shoot with older full metal cameras with less and less automatisms. But this is a different story....
Cheers

---------- Post added 04-30-18 at 06:55 AM ----------

Two is better than one | Pentax Z-1p | Flickr
My two bodies. The one on the left is the one equipped with the Bettie screen. If you zoom in you might actually see the grid lines of the focussing screen.
Cheers

Last edited by vrolok; 04-29-2018 at 10:04 PM.