Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K2 case

I have a K2 with the bottom half of the ever ready case, I am wondering if the top half of a K1000 case might fit as one of these might be easier to find.
Has anybody tried this combination ?

04-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think that the top half of the K1000/KM/KX case would fit the K2; those three cameras were basically the same shape, being derived from the Spotmatic F, but the K2 was a different shape altogether. The prism housing was more off-centre and the shoulder height was lower; the K2 was more of a halfway house between the K and M series cameras in terms of size.
04-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I don't think that the top half of the K1000/KM/KX case would fit the K2; those three cameras were basically the same shape, being derived from the Spotmatic F, but the K2 was a different shape altogether. The prism housing was more off-centre and the shoulder height was lower; the K2 was more of a halfway house between the K and M series cameras in terms of size.
  • The K2 was derived from the ESll. Look here for the dimensions
  • The K1000 was a KM with some features removed. Look here for the dimensions.
  • The KM was derived from the Spotmatic-F. Look here for the dimensions.

It is challenging to distinguish the K body everready cases from each other. The K1000 case simply doesn’t fit the other bodies perfectly but the top will sort of work. The top is only off by 1/2 a mm width but the prism shape is different. The bottom is 5mm narrower than a K2. You can also try the corresponding m42 ER case tops.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-20-2018 at 01:40 PM.
04-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a used K2DMD with original AP eveready case.
Unlike other Pentax cases I own there is a central seam running over the top from lens front over peak to flap below eyepiece.
I'll ask my daughter to snap a digital photo and I'll post it sometime this weekend.

Chris

04-21-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, memories, memories. The KM was my first Pentax back in 1975. It’s fascinating to look back at the advertising from that time when it was clear that Asahi was marketing the KM as a bayonet-equipped SPF equivalent, but the spec was actually not quite identical; for example the SPF had a lockable shutter release button where the KM did not (you had to buy the KX to get that). Similarly with the K2 which was the ESII replacement, which lacked features such as the eyepiece curtains or even I think (without looking out my K2) the shutter-cocked indicator.

The top plate layout of the K2 was much more MX-like than KM/KX-like (except of course that it also had the automatic option on the shutter speed dial), even to the frame counter cut-out in the top plate rather than it being embedded in the winder crank à la SPF/KM/KX.

You can see that I really like the K2! Even more so than the MX. So to the OP - good luck with finding that case top. 😄
04-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have now seen a picture of the K2 case and realise that it's a bit of an unusual design, however after delving about in my collection I came across an SPII case top and it fits, not perfectly but certainly good enough until I manage to get the correct one, even the velvet lining is the same colour. I don't normally use an ER case but as my K2 is a lovely black one in near mint condition I don't want it sliding about in the car without some protection.

Incidentally I also found that complete case from a Chinon CX is an extremely good fit on the K2 and it hasn't got any makers name on the front, the tripod screw is about 3mm offset but that can easily be fixed by removing the screw, elongating the hole and refitting.
04-22-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've got a bunch of cases from various SP/K bodies, I used to know which was which but can't remember now (I have a K2 but don't think I have a case for it). Are there any tips on how to identify them?

04-22-2018, 07:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I've got a bunch of cases from various SP/K bodies, Are there any tips on how to identify them?
It will be difficult if you don't have the bodies to fit. As far as I can remember the bottom half of the K series have slightly different cutouts on the back depending on the model, the SP models all seemed to have a cutout just to accomodate the viewfinder. The early S series (SV, S1a etc) have a press stud connecting the two case halves, all later models had a connector that had to be rotated to disengage.

There are differences in the colour of the velvet lining but I don't know if this can be really used for identifying the model.
It may not be relevant but all the cases I have found from the spotmatic and later have a letter embossed on the bottom half of the case just below the connector, these are as follows:

K2 "K"
SP II "N"
ME super "I"
MX "K"

On the M series the same letter is also embossed on the top half of the case. It could be useful if other forum members could add to this list then perhaps we could determine if this is a model or a batch marking.