Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am in the K1000 and ME Super camp...
I also have a Canon AE-1 but really prefer the ME SUPER over it. For one it is smaller and meters very well...

09-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
saw the K1000 and i agree that there are a lot of features but i want all manual, small and cheap hehe
the K1000 has no features, and is as manual as it gets.

you aren't going to get a pentax manual camera with such a high shutter speed as that's very difficult to achieve with a mechanical shutter, regardless of brand.

I think other than the 1/4000 shutter I think either the MX or MEsuper is your best bet. you could also go with the SuperPROGRAM though. for the true all manual experience as well as a small lightweight camera the MX is the best choice....... but given your wants I honestly think the MEsuper is the best camera for you. its small, light, well built. built to last. it has a large viewfinder, 1/2000 shutter, full manual exposure, very accurate meter (said to be the most accurate, not counting the LX) it meets all of your minimum requirements and best of all you can pick them up in great shape rather cheap. I have its younger brother and the last of the M series the ME-F (its identical to the MEsuper in all respects mentioned above) as well as an MX and both are superb cameras you cant go wrong with either one.

having said all that...... get an MEsuper.

as for the lens, go for an smc-M 50mm 1.4 its a superb lens all around and you might even get lucky enough to find an MEsuper with the 50mm 1.4 attached. though in all likely hood you are going to find the 1.7 far more often and its been said that the 1.7 is slightly sharper. the difference in aperture is so minute that its not really worth the much higher price for the 1.4 over the 1.7 and you will get the same results from both lenses. besides all that the 1.7's are everywhere, in fact there is one in the marketplace here on nearly a weekly basis.

Last edited by séamuis; 09-07-2008 at 02:11 PM.
09-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
woohoo thanks guys
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not commented yet, but for the $300 range, you could pick up a much better body if you go for a PZ-1 or PZ-1P

Including 1/8000 shutter, 1/250 flash sync, spot meteing, and the ability to use every lens except the new HSM lenses.

It will do everything you would ever want for a film camera, from full manual to full automatic, letting you pick how you want to shoot.

It is also 10 years newer than the M series, and usually in pretty good shape.

09-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have not commented yet, but for the $300 range, you could pick up a much better body if you go for a PZ-1 or PZ-1P

Including 1/8000 shutter, 1/250 flash sync, spot meteing, and the ability to use every lens except the new HSM lenses.

It will do everything you would ever want for a film camera, from full manual to full automatic, letting you pick how you want to shoot.

It is also 10 years newer than the M series, and usually in pretty good shape.

I knew the PZ-1 would come up eventually!

Thanks Lowell for not letting me down!
09-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I recommend both the ME Super and ZX-M. The ZX-M is a newer design, but is basically a K1000 with a few additional (nice) features, such as a top shutter speed of 1/2000. A ZX-M with an AA Battery Pack FG is quite a nice little camera (and you will never spend a dime on expensive camera batteries).

Having said this, an ME Super with a Winder ME II is also an excellent choice. I do not like grip-less cameras, and so I always recommend some type of winder, motor, or battery pack. I have no real use for the extra speed of a winder. I buy them simply for the grip.

Also, I have owned an AE-1 Program, and, indeed, it is a fine camera. I parted with the AE-1 only becuase I just could not get used to those goofy bayonet lens hoods. The screw-in design is much more solid.

A Minolta XG-M is also a nice, straightforward choice (only 1/1000, though, for a top shutter speed). I had one briefly, but ended up returning it. The return was more a matter of the camera's condition than anything else. Some believe that Minolta MC and MD lenses are on par with just about anything available. It is tough to beat a Pentax M42 lens, and such I why I use them exclusively. I would, though, like to see some results from an MC or MD. I have also heard that Pentax and Minolta had similar design philosophies, and that their lenses produce similar results.

Glen

PS: I have owned a few Nikons. My view on Nikon: too expensive.

Last edited by zx-m; 09-09-2008 at 09:43 AM.
09-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I knew the PZ-1 would come up eventually!

Thanks Lowell for not letting me down!
When all is said and done, it is probably the best film camera to get, and it handles just like the *istD, K10D and K20D, dual thumbwheels and all
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #23
Moderator PEG Judges

I would also like to recommend LX's, damn nigh bullet proof. Just Google it for the features, it did everything I ever wanted or could throw at it.

09-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Based on recommendations here I bought a PZ-1P, but soon sold it. It is not a camera for the fainthearted.
Though competent and capable, the 136 page instruction manual indicates its complexity of operation.

Chris
Compared to the K10D it is light reading

Seriously, the PZ-1 and PZ-1p are very serious cameras, they are not intended for the fainthearted as you put it. They incorporate a lot of features, but when you get right down to it, you can put the camera in AUTO and start shooting immediately, put the camera in manual - press the AE button with your manual lenses and again start shooting. although the full manual can be quite daunting, getting to use the camera properly can take as little as 5 minutes.
09-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies, but some of your recommendations are a bit too much compared to what i want/need in the first page i just want all manual with good metering and good build

i've settled for the ME Super and I can't wait for it to arrive
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The ME Super is a fine choice--enjoy.
09-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #27

As I recall there is no mechanical Pentax ccamera with the minimum exposure time of 1/2000 sec. .
Cameras (manual focus) which have 1/2000 are LX (very expensive in my opinion), ME Super, Super A and MEF.
What I like is P50 which yes, it is not a mechanical camera and hasn't 1/2000 shutter but is light, pretty robust, good viewfinder with GREAT information display (the best I encountered among manual fovus cameras ) even if it not the bigest (like the MX or ME Super), has DOF preview button (ME Super does not), las top LCD (a unique feature among manual focus cameras - I think some Ricoh and Contax cameras also has it), memory lock, exposure compensation +3EV/-3EV (with 1/2 steps), winder suport (same as the M series I think), LR-44 1.5 V batteries can be used (2 of them), quick film loading sistem, has KA mount and not K, good light meter, etc ... and the more importnat it is cheaper than a K1000 . I like it.
Here are some photos but the text is in Romanian : Fotomozaic.ro - despre si pentru fotografie
09-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I agree: the LX is too expensive--and difficult to find in superior condition. It is a fine camera, though.

That is the primary reason why I abandoned Nikon gear: too expensive...especially since other gear is capable of producing comparable or better results. It is also the reason why I will never buy Leica equipment. Yesterday, for less than the cost of a single Leica R-series 50mm lens--$250-$300--I purchased an entire Minolta kit: XG-M body, Motor Drive 1, MD Rokkor 50/1.7, MC Rokkor 35/2.8. My total expense--including batteries and all shipping--was around $206. I have had similar success with my Pentax kits.

Now I will finally be able to compare my M42 lenses to Minolta MC/MD lenses. It should be rather interesting.

Glen
09-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

but Glen, with that one Leica, think how much clutter you'd save around the house, hundreds of lenses and dozens of bodies replaced by a simple, three lens kit of the utmost quality.

heh heh
09-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Good point, Nesster...a point I have considered.

I opted for the Minolta kit because, as I have mentioned, I have read that Minolta and Pentax had similar design goals in terms of optical performance. Additionally, there is a certain similitude between Leica and Minolta. The Leica R series cameras (particularly the R3-R7) were made in collaboration with Minolta. Leica could have worked with any of the chief Japanese firms (Nikon, Canon, etc.), and chose Minolta. I think this says something.

Glen