Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KX film spindle and rewind knob - parts compatibility

Howdy all...

Quick question about my father's KX. The rewind knob was unthreaded and since lost and needs to be replaced but I'm curious if it may be the same for the K1000 or other similar. I've not had a K1000 for many years. Can anyone tell me if these are the same (or if another model is)... Trying to locate a replacement.

04-28-2018, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax KX and K1000 winders

I just happen to have a KX and a K1000 on my repair bench.

Here is a picture of the two rewind assemblies - the knobs and shafts.

The two shafts have the same diameter but slightly different construction at the base. The screw threads are identical.

The winder knobs are identical (same dimensions, identical winder arm, action, etc) and seem interchangeable on the two shafts.

I tried the K1000 shaft on the KX. It fits. It secures a film canister properly, and it unlatches the door.

However, you'll notice in the image that the grooves on the shafts are not identical - they're placed at different locations along the shaft. The main effect is that the K1000 shaft doesn't provide the designed positive engagement when pushed fully into the camera's film compartment. It may be pulled upwards easily without resistance, so there would be a risk of disengaging the film-canister sprocket when in use. If you've used a film camera, you probably know that a slight tug or force is required to pull the re-winder shaft up to unlatch the door -- this resistance is not present with the K1000 shaft on the KX. Other than that issue, I'd say the K1000 shaft may be used on a KX camera. There is enough play designed between the film canister and shaft to accommodate the K1000 shaft.

Hope this long-ish description helps. Sorry I can't offer the set from my K1000 - I'm in the process of restoring it.

- Craig
Attached Images

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-28-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarification
04-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I just happen to have a KX and a K1000 on my repair bench.

Here is a picture of the two rewind assemblies - the knobs and shafts.

The two shafts have the same diameter but slightly different construction at the base. The screw threads are identical.

The winder knobs are identical (same dimensions, identical winder arm, action, etc) and seem interchangeable on the two shafts.

I tried the K1000 shaft on the KX. It fits. It secures a film canister properly, and it unlatches the door.

However, you'll notice in the image that the grooves on the shafts are not identical - they're placed at different locations along the shaft. The main effect is that the K1000 shaft doesn't provide the designed positive engagement when pushed fully into the camera's film compartment. It may be pulled upwards easily without resistance, so there would be a risk of disengaging the film-canister sprocket when in use. If you've used a film camera, you probably know that a slight tug or force is required to pull the re-winder shaft up to unlatch the door -- this resistance is not present with the K1000 shaft on the KX. Other than that issue, I'd say the K1000 shaft may be used on a KX camera. There is enough play designed between the film canister and shaft to accommodate the K1000 shaft.

Hope this long-ish description helps. Sorry I can't offer the set from my K1000 - I'm in the process of restoring it.

- Craig
Brilliant, Craig. Thank you for that. Sounds like a K1000's will work since that's the direction I'm going and they're easier to track down for certain. I suspected this but was hoping for an answer just like this.

Also, *just* prior to reading this, the same was confirmed to me by Eric H. via email, though his response was typically far less verbose.
He wrote:
QuoteQuote:
"K1000 the old style"
Hahaha. Between that and your response I think that's settled.
04-29-2018, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Between that and your response I think that's settled.
Ahh yes, I neglected to mention that my rewind knob is from one of the older series of K1000's, not the 'Assembled in China' version. I also have a late-run K1000, assembled in China, and its rewind assembly is totally different.

Good luck with the search for the part.

04-29-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the KM could also be an option then.

Phil.
04-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just removed the shafts from my early, MIJ K1000 and my KM and they are identical. I'd swap them into my KX to check the fit for you. but it has film in it.
04-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
KM may be easier to pick up for parts. The Ebay well sure is dry at the moment.
04-30-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Howdy all...

Quick question about my father's KX. The rewind knob was unthreaded and since lost and needs to be replaced but I'm curious if it may be the same for the K1000 or other similar. I've not had a K1000 for many years. Can anyone tell me if these are the same (or if another model is)... Trying to locate a replacement.
All of the post K Pentax SLRs knobs should swap but do use nail lacquer after assembly!

04-30-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have several beater KX’es I’m willing to send along if you wish.
04-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have several beater KXes Im willing to send along if you wish.
That'd be grand if you didn't mind parting with one (or just the knob/sprocket). Previously when i've hunted around they were easy to find.
He actually got a replacement about 2 years ago, but it was lost in a move - might be sitting in the bottom of a forgotten box at his house.