Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 10:32 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting YouTube Channel on analog cameras

I expect I'm the last to know but I recently came across this YouTube channel which reviews both film cameras and films I found it interesting.

go to - Analog Insights

Analog Insights - YouTube

05-01-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I expect I'm the last to know but I recently came across this YouTube channel which reviews both film cameras and films I found it interesting.

go to - Analog Insights
You can't be the last to know, as I didn't know about it Thanks for posting the link
05-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
2B1

Cheers for posting.
05-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Missing link:
Analog Insights - YouTube

05-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I found that channel not long ago, a couple/few months ... They do a pretty decent job - nice production values, nothing terribly irritating or sponsored and a fair range of equipment for a year or so.
05-06-2018, 02:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yeah, I found that channel not long ago, a couple/few months ... They do a pretty decent job - nice production values, nothing terribly irritating or sponsored and a fair range of equipment for a year or so.
Hi all,

Seeing as we are sharing this I thought I'd put a link for this channel...

NegativeFeedback - YouTube

Young people into analog. Have a look at the videos when you get a chance. Considering the age distribution range of the average Pentax forums user, it is very heartening to see how younger people are embracing film photography - this is a good thing for us, as young people have a lot of pester power (as I'm sure you know!), and if it means that film companies keep making 135 and 120 films, we all benefit!

In particular, have a look at the video on the Kodak factory, as well as the one shot on Super 8.

I GUARANTEE you that you will all experience that lovely warm feeling of nostalgia when you watch, and you'll be kids again, remembering your youth!
05-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too am happy some young folks are beginning to embrace film.
However some websites and videos are almost laughably wrong about the characteristics and use of film.
Likely some of this is the result of incorrectly applying concepts and methods unique to digital photography.

Chris
05-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
In particular, have a look at the video on the Kodak factory
Interesting I did not know Kodak did tours, wish I had checked when I was in Rochester. (I did go to the George Eastman museum and that was great)

Thanks for posting the link.

Phil.

05-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I GUARANTEE you that you will all experience that lovely warm feeling of nostalgia when you watch, and you'll be kids again, remembering your youth!
Thanks for sharing this, Jeff. I'm rather "in the middle" in all of this, like most my fellow "gen-X-ers" seem to be in many things... Having all of my early experience done on film from a very young age, learning darkroom and developing in highschool and some more during college years, film was all we knew. But, I was still quite young when digital began and I took right to it. We were the first generation that grew up with tech AND non-tech, which I find at least a little interestign. I got my first digital around the year 2000 and Pentax DSLR in (I think) 2006. I couldn't afford one before then.
All this to say, to be frank, I didn't really find the NegativeFeedback content (I watched three I think) to be terribly interesting. Just seemed quite light on information and heavy on editing ... like it was stretching the content out longer than it could quite bare. It's not bad, I just think there are better channels (and maybe I just didn't watch the right ones - I'll give a few more a spin).

A couple of (IMO) *excellent* film photo (second wave, as it were) shorts are by ...
StoryHive:
and Indie Film Lab:

Another more recent "tuber" who makes great content is Mark Holtze - though his is not specifically film-oriented, he covers quite a bit of vintage glass which he uses for cine and adapted digital still photography (the Sony and mirrorless folks). Above all, for a tiny one-man indie channel, his editing bar none; it's as "new" as many out there, but done better and with enough actual content to back it up and not make it feel like filler. Pretty outstanding production values for the channel's size. I bet it will grow if he keeps it up. Mark Holtze - YouTube

There was a short film or documentary I remember watching a year or two ago that went in-depth into the Kodak Eastman plant, similarly (and far better I'd have to say) to what the NegativeFeedback crew did. I wish I could remember where I saw it or what it was specifically. I'll post it if I do.
05-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a short film or documentary I remember watching a year or two ago that went in-depth into the Kodak Eastman plant, similarly (and far better I'd have to say) to what the NegativeFeedback crew did. I wish I could remember where I saw it or what it was specifically. I'll post it if I do.
Post it if you find - I'd love to see it. And thanks for the additional links. I'll definitely have a look...

Jeff
05-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post it if you find - I'd love to see it. And thanks for the additional links. I'll definitely have a look...

Jeff
Man... I've been trying off and on to figure it out and find it since I posted the above without any luck. Definitely will if I do.

---------- Post added 05-07-18 at 11:03 AM ----------

EDIT:
AHAH! Success, partially. I think my memory is *fusing* two different pieces I saw within the last couple years involving Kodak (I know I've seen a tour) but...
This is (I finally found it) one of the pieces I was thinking of, a short doco that's part of a 4-part series from FutureWork.
FutureWork: A Story of Yesterday & Today | WorkingNation

Last edited by chickentender; 05-07-2018 at 11:04 AM.
05-07-2018, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a Youtube link as well to this segment... It's deals more with Kodak's failure of past, and where the (tech) "work" is today, as opposed to Kodak's current state.

05-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a Youtube link as well to this segment... It's deals more with Kodak's failure of past, and where the (tech) "work" is today, as opposed to Kodak's current state.

FutureWork: A Story of Yesterday & Today | WorkingNation - YouTube
Thanks for finding it - I'm clicking on the link now!
12-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
Banned

Well... I am back from the hole... You guys got some place here! Even the popcorn is terrible in the clink, such a relief to be back.

Anyway; a sheepishly posted great little video for all you COMRADES out there in Pentaxian land... Finally a definitive comparison to end all comparisons of the various versions of the Pentax Takumar 135mm f2.5 shot on a real FULL FRAME MIRRORLESS CAMERA... Just the kind of camera that many of us will have the joy of experiencing directly from Pentax in the coming months...? Until then, some of us will be relegated to adapting our sweet Pentax glass like the very professional (not to mention generous with his time and efforts to the Pentax brand) Mark Holtze here:

Likes and Subscribes are well deserved in this case! He makes these videos with both heart and expertise.