Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2018, 07:19 PM - 4 Likes   #1

New to film. What next after Pentax ME?

Hi all,

I’m new to film and to this forum. Had only shot digital until I was given a Pentax ME as a gift by a relative recently. It came with the M 50mm f/1.7. I got a M 40mm f/2.8 on ebay for it too. I’m really enjoying shooting film so far, and it’s been a humbling learning experience, haha. It’s not inconceivable I’d look for another pentax film slr in the near future.

Ideally I’d want a compact form factor, so not much heavier than the ME. Would be nice to get exposure compensation in fractional steps, and more importantly a more substantial build quality. Reading this forum has led me to the LX as a likely candidate. Does that sound reasonable? Any other pentax models you think I should be looking at?

Btw, really liking the 40mm pancake. I was hesitant given the somewhat lukewarm reviews here, but I have been pleased by its results. To be fair, I dont pixel peep or anything like that. The form factor itself makes it a great pairing to the ME. Here are a few photos I took on my inaugural use of the camera and lens on a trip to California.

Cheers,
Ed

Attached Images

05-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work!

I've found the ME to be a bit limiting since it's auto-only. However, that's also its charm; you can concentrate on composition and your subject as well as looking for the next shot. That said, I prefer the MX. Haven't tried an LX. At that price point, I chose to go medium format instead.

Another variable in film photography is the film itself. Film photographers have to deal with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) as well as FAS (Film Acquisition Syndrome).
05-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum and great job with the ME.

The LX and MX are both excellent choices. The MX is the smallest 35mm with the largest viewfinder while the LX is the smallest interchangeable viewfinder 35mm camera with the unmatched meter . . . before or after.

It would seem that the lukewarm review of the Pentax pancake is simply because it commands a higher then typical price for a Pentax manual focus lens. Feel free to pixel peep with it - as well as all the other fix focal length Pentax manual focus lenses. Unless the lens is not in good condition, they will not be the reason you cannot attain the sharpest possible results.
05-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manual or autofocus? In auto focus I like the PZ-1 pz-1p series. The mz-s is also nice. In manual focus K mount I'd say the mx or lx or super program / Super-A. The mx lacks any automation, the lx is very expensive, so I'd say the super program / Super-A. Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

05-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all!

I’d be looking at staying with M lenses given their compact form factor, so probably a manual focus camera as well.
You’ve given me some great food for thought.

I was not aware of FAS!
05-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax film camera

For quality, value and ease of use, I would recommend the Super Program/Super A body. A good sample should be available at an excellent price and you could use any A series lens with this. If you can find one, I would suggest the A 35 to 105 lens. I had this combo many years ago and this was my favourite package. Brings back good memories. Good luck and have fun.
05-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The LX is a lovely bit of kit, but many suffer from "sticky mirror" and may require a service. The Super A is a lovely camera but my favourite is the MX. Manual exposure using the "traffic lights" meter display, but apart from the meter the camera is totally mechanical. You don't need batteries to continue shooting at all shutter speeds.

You can look at the manuals for most at this site PENTAX MANUALS Password for the pdf files is Pentax

05-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
For quality, value and ease of use, I would recommend the Super Program/Super A body. A good sample should be available at an excellent price and you could use any A series lens with this. If you can find one, I would suggest the A 35 to 105 lens. I had this combo many years ago and this was my favourite package. Brings back good memories. Good luck and have fun.

Plus 1 for the Super A and 35-105mm, it might be a bit heavy but the lens gives great results in my opinion.
05-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I just bought the Super A/Super Program and love it. It is very compact with just a 50mm or 28mm lens.

You can use it in program (only with A lenses), shutter, aperture or full manual mode so it is very versatile. It also has TTL flash control which is handy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
05-09-2018, 05:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have an MX and love it. It is very small. I wish it went a stop or two beyond 1000 but it is not that hard to work around. I had it serviced by Eric and it has been flawless. The MX is on the manual side of things though.
05-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
I’ll definitely look into the Super A and MX some more. One thing I noticed is that the viewfinder magnification on the Super A is lower than that of the ME, which I’ve come to appreciate (I wear glasses).

Indeed, in searching these forums, I’ve come across the sticky mirror issue on the LX. It’s hard for me to evaluate how pervasive that is given selection bias though.
05-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the Super A/Super Program.

The LX would be your ultimate goal someday if you continue shooting film, but for now I'd go with the Super A. (Once a LX has been CLAed by Eric it's good to go for decades.)

Phil.
05-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ediz7531 Quote
One thing I noticed is that the viewfinder magnification on the Super A is lower than that of the ME, which I’ve come to appreciate (I wear glasses).
The MX has a magnification of 0.97 and a coverage of 95%. Bettered only by the LX I think

More details here Pentax Camera Bodies | The K-Mount Page
05-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ediz7531 Quote
I’ll definitely look into the Super A and MX some more. One thing I noticed is that the viewfinder magnification on the Super A is lower than that of the ME, which I’ve come to appreciate (I wear glasses).

Indeed, in searching these forums, I’ve come across the sticky mirror issue on the LX. It’s hard for me to evaluate how pervasive that is given selection bias though.
The LX has the widest selection of viewfinders offering the widest range of magnifications. On top of that, most incorporate built-in diopter adjustment which I understand is beneficial to those who wear glasses.

Given the long production cycle of the LX, the production numbers only known to Pentax and the nature of the problem, it is impossible to gauge the percentage affected by the "sticky mirror". I personally have two fully working samples - one bought with guarantees and another from auction of unknown condition, that I have now used over 10 years with no issues.
05-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The LX has the widest selection of viewfinders offering the widest range of magnifications..
I believe that the LX is one of very few cameras with interchangeable viewfinders that can do TTL metering no matter the viewfinder, correct? I know my nikon F4 can only meter with the standard prism finder.