Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
If you love the viewfinder of the ME I STRONGLY recommend AGAINST the Super A/Super Program. The information display is absolute crap and the only thing that it has over the ME Super is the Program mode which kills the creative control of aperture priority mode and has zero benefits over it. If you enjoy the automation but want more control, I strongly suggest the ME Super. Although the MX is a fantastic camera and extremely reliable, it has ONLY a manual mode where you must set both the aperture and shutter speed, using the meter to ensure accurate exposure. Many people are not crazy about the MX's exposure indicator in the viewfinder and HATE the excessively stiff shutter speed control as well. My suggestions are theat if you love the ME and auto exposure, get the ME Super. If you want potentially greater longevity and don't care at all for auto exposure, Look at the MX but don't buy one until you have test driven the KX, in my opinion, a slightly better version than the MX although a bit larger.
If you like the ME then I would seriously consider an ME super or ME-F (ME-F's have some slight improvements over an ME Super other than the focus aid that you may or may not find useful) but budget for a CLA. All the M series cameras by now need new seals and professional lubrication of the mechanism unless they have been previously serviced. I'm not convinced that program modes offer anything over aperture priority for a half-competent user and in general I prefer the M series lenses for handling compared to A series that you will need for program mode.

Although to be fair I did have the A series 35-105 and it is an excellent lens. Mine unfortunately succumbed to fungus due to a storage error on my part. But I used it with my ME-F, not an A series camera.

07-11-2018, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #32

Original Poster
Hi all,

Just wanted to come back and report to this thread after my purchase decision. I ended up getting an LX. It looks in great shape, and loving it so far. It's so so smooth to operate.
I'll probably still be sending it to Eric soon for a CLA.

Attached are a some pictures from my first roll.
Thanks again for all the input!
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
07-11-2018, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ediz7531 Quote
Just wanted to come back and report to this thread after my purchase decision. I ended up getting an LX. It looks in great shape, and loving it so far. It's so so smooth to operate.
Good news, enjoy your LX!

Phil.
07-11-2018, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi all,

Attached are a some pictures from my first roll.
Thanks again for all the input!
That’s terrible news. How can you expect us to criticize your selection when you go and get the best one? 🙂

Congratulations. Enjoy it 🙂

-Eric

07-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
That’s terrible news. How can you expect us to criticize your selection when you go and get the best one? 🙂

Congratulations. Enjoy it 🙂

-Eric
Truely it is hard to say anything negative about selecting an LX.
07-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #36

Original Poster
I have to admit that I'm now in a bit of irrational fear about the LX developing any of its known issues. I sent it to Eric, and he concluded it was in good working order however. Of course, the plus side of that is that this seems like a solid argument, in my biased opinion, for me to justify getting a fully mechanical body in addition to the LX and the ME (whether my better half buys that argument or not, we shall see).

The MX looks tempting, but I can't shake off the feeling that, manual vs aperture priority aside, the MX looks to be basically a twin of the ME. So that's taken me to consider the KX. From the MX vs KX perspective, which is the smoother to operate (i.e. film advance feel), and which might be better for eyeglasses wearer (i.e eye relief)?
07-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I have to admit that I'm now in a bit of irrational fear about the LX developing any of its known issues. I sent it to Eric, and he concluded it was in good working order however. Of course, the plus side of that is that this seems like a solid argument, in my biased opinion, for me to justify getting a fully mechanical body in addition to the LX and the ME (whether my better half buys that argument or not, we shall see).

The MX looks tempting, but I can't shake off the feeling that, manual vs aperture priority aside, the MX looks to be basically a twin of the ME. So that's taken me to consider the KX. From the MX vs KX perspective, which is the smoother to operate (i.e. film advance feel), and which might be better for eyeglasses wearer (i.e eye relief)?
KX, KM, K1000, MX, take your pick. They are all quite reliable.

The MX gets my pick above the KX, though, simply because the aperture window is so much nicer on the MX.

07-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the MX vs KX perspective, which is the smoother to operate (i.e. film advance feel), and which might be better for eyeglasses wearer (i.e eye relief)?
It's the size of the cameras that you will notice the most. For me the MX is too small, the KX feels much better in my hands.

Of course I'm a bit biased, as I've owned my KX for over 42 years.

Phil.
07-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the feeling of the MX over that of any of the K-series. The shutter speed dial is stiffer than the K bodies but the film advance is among the smoothest I’ve ever experienced...

-Eric
07-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the KX over the MX for two reasons. It is my opinion that the shutter speed dial on the MX is too stiff to operate easily with one finger while looking through the viewfinder. The KX is worlds better in this regard. Also, I much prefer the light meter display in the KX. The MX only shows a couple of leds, one for overexposed, one for correct exposure, and one for underexposed. If I was underexposed, I wouldn't know whether it was by two stops or ten stops because all I would see is a red led lit up. The KX has the traditional needle that will point to the shutter speed required for correct exposure and you will see another needle for the currently set shutter speed. There's no guessing how far off you might be. The KX also has mirror lock up, which the MX lacks. I know that there's a "hack" for MLU on the MX but it's not fool-proof.
07-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #41

Damn, I am late to the party... from ME to LX, wonderful big jump!
Honestly I prefer Me Super and MX for the smaller/similar dimension (I am in love with my black MX!)

but the KX, even if bigger, feel also right in my hands... someday I will find a Black Mint KX... and it will be mine!
07-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #42
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yet another thread to fuel my lust for the LX. And I don't even shoot film!
07-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rognone Quote
someday I will find a Black Mint KX... and it will be mine!
I found one at a Pentax collectors web site years ago, but it looks like his site has shutdown.

Phil.
07-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I found one at a Pentax collectors web site years ago, but it looks like his site has shutdown.

Phil.
Thank you Phil,

I will remain on "alert mode", but yeah, a few years ago, black KX and black MX in mint conditions were a lot less "rarity" than now!
And to complicate my search there is also a little problem: if you search "Black KX" you'll also view all the Pentax DSLR from 2009, and almost never the film camera!
08-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #45
Pentaxian

After the ME, which is quite probably the smallest SLR in history (it's a close battle with certain Olympus models), I went to the MX because of its similar size and because it is the last Pentax SLR that is completely independent of batteries for shutter operation at all speeds.

I know the LX is battery-independent at all speeds above 1/60, but I would rather have the full flexibility when the batteries go flat or the electronics die. And the death of the LX's electronics is a big deal, because the replacement modules aren't made any more and the supply is limited.

Then again, I am an extreme example, because I have been known to carry cameras from the days before Pentax even fitted a meter (Pentax S1a) and to carry a battery-independent Sekonic meter in the opposite pocket.