Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax S1a to Repair or Buy

I have a Pentax S1a, later model as it has the R on the rewind knob.

It has the following problems:

1. The shutter times are way off.

2. The shutter curtains look OK, that is I can't see any tears or pinholes but the trailing curtain is very slow and leaves about a 1/8" 3mm open gap when it comes to rest.

3. The mirror is locked up.

4. The little foot at the bottom of the throat which moves forward and depresses the pin on the lenses is jammed in the forward position and does not move when the shutter is would on or the shutter release depressed.

5. There may be other problems unknown to me.

In the US one would send it to Eric but I'm on the other side of the pond and will have to send it somewhere within the EU to avoid Value Added Tax, Import Duties and anything else the Government can think off.

Given the above what's do you think is the best option - have it repaired or buy one on e-bay and take a chance that the seller's description is correct.

05-09-2018, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote

In the US one would send it to Eric but I'm on the other side of the pond and will have to send it somewhere within the EU to avoid Value Added Tax, Import Duties and anything else the Government can think off.

Given the above what's do you think is the best option - have it repaired or buy one on e-bay and take a chance that the seller's description is correct.
Hey,
I don't believe there are many places in Europe you could send it for a repair. My recommendation would be to buy another off ebay from the US and have it shipped directly to Eric for a quote and a repair if needed or doable. I've done it that way and it works fine.

Cheers, Baard-Einar
05-10-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
It may not seem important...
Are you the original owner?
I am wondering when the last time it was serviced?
General description sounds like dry grease issues and the return arm for the aperture actuator is not fully resetting.
If you are not sure if the camera was service...say around 1980-2010, then many gummed up or hardened lubricant issues are possible...repairable

If you had experienced a dead lock while advancing and the metallic pop and the suddenly the advance seemed fine, it is likely the reset cycle jumped out...you might try ebay.
05-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
It may not seem important...
Are you the original owner?
I am wondering when the last time it was serviced?
General description sounds like dry grease issues and the return arm for the aperture actuator is not fully resetting.
If you are not sure if the camera was service...say around 1980-2010, then many gummed up or hardened lubricant issues are possible...repairable

If you had experienced a dead lock while advancing and the metallic pop and the suddenly the advance seemed fine, it is likely the reset cycle jumped out...you might try ebay.
No I'm not the original owner, but I got it sometime in the 1980's and I'm pretty sure the word service has never been mentioned in its history, so its probably completely gummed up.

No It winds on and everything seems to work but not correctly except the mirror which is stuck up closed so it sounds as if it is repairable.

I'm kind of butterfingered when it comes to fixing tiny things myself and there always seems to be a screw or spring that vanishes so I won't be fiddling with it myself.

I'm finding lately that older, simpler cameras and film are what I'm really interested in and happier with so the S1a and a Leica IIc are pretty much as simple as you can get.

---------- Post added 05-10-2018 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hey,
I don't believe there are many places in Europe you could send it for a repair. My recommendation would be to buy another off ebay from the US and have it shipped directly to Eric for a quote and a repair if needed or doable. I've done it that way and it works fine.

Cheers, Baard-Einar
Not a bad idea but the minute I bring it in from outside the EU it's subject to Value Added Tax, in our case at 23%, which they would levy on both Eric's fee and the postage cost, there could be probably import duty and then they add a collection fee as well all of which I found out the usual way.

Murphy's Law is alive and well.

05-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect the repair cost will exceed the price of a used one in substantially better condition. Too many things amiss with the one you have.
05-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I suspect the repair cost will exceed the price of a used one in substantially better condition. Too many things amiss with the one you have.
Yes I'm sure it will, I have a UK quote I got this afternoon fom a reputable Pentax repair company which I see other forum members have used which is more than twice the price
of ones selling at Auction on e-bay which claim to be in perfect working order, on the other hand copies from dealers and Buy-It-Now prices on e-bay can exceed €200.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth taking a chance on e-bay's Auction site.

Humm Decisions, decisions..........
05-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I'm sure it will, I have a UK quote I got this afternoon fom a reputable Pentax repair company which I see other forum members have used which is more than twice the price
of ones selling at Auction on e-bay which claim to be in perfect working order, on the other hand copies from dealers and Buy-It-Now prices on e-bay can exceed €200.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth taking a chance on e-bay's Auction site.

Do not worry. The worst that can happen is you'll be totally screwed.

05-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In my recent S1a and SV experience, few-to-none out in the Ebay-land don't require at least *some* attention... A CLA at best in nearly every case. These are just too old at this point. Those that don't, as you've found, fetch a premium (as is the way). But Ebay sellers are often either ignorant (or nefarious at worst) or sometimes just lazy and many will be billed as "perfect working order". Often that means the shutter fires, them mirror reliably raises and falls, but what of the accuracy speeds and how long has it been since their curtains were "excercised". Those you find that are twice as much but from a reputable servicer/seller might be worth it, unless you don't mind playing the game that I just did... namely rolling the dice on each "bargain". Bargains there are, but more often than not you get what you pay for.

But I do think it's reasonable that given all that's wrong with yours, to find one that is at least billed as functional and looks clean and shipping it directly to Eric. I've had luck with those listed "for parts or service" by someone that just doesn't know what to check for; in these cases, take your time, ask questions (give them a short list of operations to try and things to report back on) and make an appropriate offer or buy-it-now if it all checks out and the price is good. Many sellers just list them based on other prices they see completed listings for even if that listing was for a much nicer condition cameras... But sometimes the opposite is true. Many just don't know better. Ask them questions. Find a good one for a reasonable cost and ship it to Eric. Will probably be a faster process overall as well, compared to sending him yours. But of course, sentimental value....

I recently asked question of a seller with a very, very nice looking Minolta or Konica RF (can't recall specifically which) that was described and priced quite obviously as a camera that would be the "next model up" in that line... He had original pamphlets, manual, box, odd-and-ins.... a nice looking package. And then I pointed out that it was actually the "budget model" of that camera... and also, it was missing an advance lever. Hahah He didn't even know.
05-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #9

Your camera would require a complete disassembly, cleaning, lubrication and adjustment. There is detailed service manual on the internet. You can buy a magnifying glass from china for $10 a set of screwdrivers $5 and a spare S1 donor body to harvest lost screws and springs from for about $20. This would be the cost of repairing your camera. Curtains need to come out as you need to remove old lubricant from the curtain bearing surfaces and re-lube. Shutter speeds will be off after this procedure so you may need to get shutter speed tester. This could be pricey. Good luck!
Alex
05-11-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cameracravings Quote
Your camera would require a complete disassembly, cleaning, lubrication and adjustment. There is detailed service manual on the internet. You can buy a magnifying glass from china for $10 a set of screwdrivers $5 and a spare S1 donor body to harvest lost screws and springs from for about $20. This would be the cost of repairing your camera. Curtains need to come out as you need to remove old lubricant from the curtain bearing surfaces and re-lube. Shutter speeds will be off after this procedure so you may need to get shutter speed tester. This could be pricey. Good luck!
Alex
As I tend to use something like a sledgehammer for delicate adjustments this doesn't sound like me at all.

The more I think about it taking a chance on e-bay seems the way to go.
05-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a bad idea but the minute I bring it in from outside the EU it's subject to Value Added Tax, in our case at 23%, which they would levy on both Eric's fee and the postage cost, there could be probably import duty and then they add a collection fee as well all of which I found out the usual way.

Murphy's Law is alive and well.
That's exactly what I have to do for all bought outside of Norway. Add25%vat on purchase price + repair + postage and then add a handling fee. It sucks but I save on not getting unfixable shipped for which I also would need to pay all the fees. When Eric tell me he cannot fix it, I ask him to keep it or discard it.
05-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #12

Old Pentax cameras cannon not be fixed. 40-50 year old cameras show remarkably little wear on bearing surfaces once old dried, dirty lubrication is removed. Dealing with film is fun! Compared to digital cameras the cost of CLAd Spotty is nothing. One should just pay the price and put it to work...
05-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree. Money is not the problem but sometimes parts availability can be. I have an original Asahi Pentax that Eric said he could not repair. I sent it to Mark Hama back in October. He still has it and is still trying to find the parts to fix it. Once he is finally able to locate the parts and complete the repair, The complete working camera will probably have set me back a total of $400 or less but it will be like new and will probably last longer than I have left.
05-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I agree. Money is not the problem but sometimes parts availability can be. I have an original Asahi Pentax that Eric said he could not repair. I sent it to Mark Hama back in October. He still has it and is still trying to find the parts to fix it. Once he is finally able to locate the parts and complete the repair, The complete working camera will probably have set me back a total of $400 or less but it will be like new and will probably last longer than I have left.
Did Eric specify what he cannot repair? I thought all old Pentax models can be repaired.
05-16-2018, 05:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The part that he mentioned was a "shutter curtain streamer" if my memory serves me correctly. Money is no object to me in getting it fixed either. That's why Mark has it now and has had it since October. I just want it FIXED!