Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Possible Mirror, Viewfinder or winding problem

Hi!
Today I found an old family Pentax mx in what seemed prestine condition. However after loading a film and using the rewind lever the viewfinder turned black.
After investigating, the problem looked like the mirror was not coming down after shuttering.
The problem was not in the foam since it came down easily when activating the left lever inside the mirror box.
So by taking a look at the back of the camera I found an interesting behavior after shuttering.
To describe it better I have attached a video of what is happening.
By the sound of it I can infer that the problem lies on a malfunctioning spring.

Id like to know if you guys could help me out solving this problem.
I do not poses the tools nor the sufficient knowledge to repair it myself but I would like to know so I could point a technician in the right direction.

05-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, looks like to me your MX needs some TLC and a service to get it back to full working order.

Sorry I'm not familiar with repair facilities in you part of the world.
05-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, looks like to me your MX needs some TLC and a service to get it back to full working order.

Sorry I'm not familiar with repair facilities in you part of the world.
Thank you very much Kerrowdonw for the heads up, just to be clear, TLC meand cleaning? Thanks again
05-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giuli8 Quote
just to be clear, TLC means cleaning?
TLC = Tender Loving Care i.e. service/clean/adjust by an experienced camera repair man.

05-17-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #5

Definitely a case of sticky shutter, the original lubrication has dried up and is now slowing the shutter.. If the shutter doesn't close with the right amount of force then the mirror is not triggered to return to its down position. Poking it with your fingers won't help and could cause more damage. It will be quite an extensive strip down and therefore an expensive repair, may be cheaper to look for another camera.
05-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

On the other hand an MX is a very good camera. If serviced it will likely last another 40 years or so without further attention.
05-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You need a clean lube and adjust, CLA. If you were in the USA you could send it to Eric Hendrickson. I looked at the Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing)

thread here on the forum and didn't see anything in Argentina. You might get someone to respond if you post on the thread though.