Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The expertise and manufacturing equipment to make a new film camera are long gone. Remember how Pentax ridiculed the idea of adding mechanical lens aperture sensing so the K1 could “properly” use old film lenses and meter wide open? That would have been very simple compared to film transport and such, so a new film camera would be very expensive.
But if you want a new film camera, Leica still makes them, and their latest (the M-A) is even fully mechanical with no meter. They have the same issue of competing with the used camera market, as the M-A is basically the same as a 1960s M2 (or M4 which I bought in the 60s), and the still available MP is basically a 1980s M6 (which I also have).
When I coveted a new film camera, instead of Leica I got a (slightly used) Zeiss Ikon ZM, which was a new design made from 2006 to 2012. It was a joint effort by Zeiss and Cosina, but is a fine camera. However the market demand wouldn’t warrant continued production.

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
article, camera, film, fm3a, pentax, petition, pm, post, production, release, tell