Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm sure there remains an inventory of Nikon F6 cameras in the warehouse,
but I doubt this or any other model of 35mm film SLR is still in production.

Chris
The cost for a new one made me think that perhaps they are made to order.

05-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

It's never going to happen, at least not in my lifetime. As Alex mentioned, keep film alive by purchasing it and shooting it and evangelizing it. My greatest hope is that enough of the newest generations latch onto and appreciate it and that enough learn the trade of servicing what equipment (legions of it) already exists. Not to mention the manufacture of film itself. The supply is narrowing yearly.

Buy many rolls of new Ektachrome when released. Be heard by doing so.
05-14-2018, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
If not a new camera. How about a re-release of parts so we can keep the oldies alive longer. Like my 1918 Kodak self timers are all slow and gummy. If I could find parts maybe I would be happy with that.
05-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hippie_2000 Quote
What do you think should we start a petition to Pentax to bring back at least two film cameras?
Meh...

1 - I think it's unlikely ever to happen.
2 - If it were to happen I doubt I'd pay a new camera price for a film camera (given the excellent second hand film cameras available)
3 - There's already a life's time worth of excellent second hand film cameras I haven't got around to shooting.

With stuff like this its easy to sit in your film sub-forum and see the enthusiasm and think that that's where the market is, but honestly I doubt Pentax would sell more than a handful, and for a big multi-national, that's just not enough.

Leica manages it with the M-A, but then Leica is also in a position to charge $4k for a manual, mechanical 35mm body...

05-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hippie_2000 Quote
If not a new camera. How about a re-release of parts so we can keep the oldies alive longer.
Affordable commercial or even consumer 3D printing may be the solution in only a few more years.
05-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Affordable commercial or even consumer 3D printing may be the solution in only a few more years.
This, and/or laser cutting, which is fairly accessible to model builders.

Again, making parts for vintage cameras should be a 3rd party industry (and would be, if there was any money to be made), not a problem for Ricoh Imaging. No one would expect Fiat to make parts for a '78 Gremlin, just because they bought what was left of what was left of the company.
05-15-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I love the idea, especially as a photo teacher with 40-60 film students per year needing an SLR/TLR/rangefinder film camera.

But it's a business that needs to turn a profit and plans for growth, and as they say in Shark Tank, "....and because of that, I'm out."

A petition will do nothing. Money talks. And so maybe if Elon Musk or Bill Gates or someone with enough ego or passion and money to burn were to resurrect not just a system, but also the whole infrastructure of buying film, developing, printing and scanning.

Digital changed photography forever, and now it's smart phones. And who would buy new if the flagship was anything less than the already incredible Nikon F6 or Pentax 645NII? Both the Pentax LX and Nikon F3HP are not rare enough, nor are the Pentax K1000 or KM and Nikon FM or FM10.

The best thing to keep film alive is to keep buying it, shooting it, sharing it. Support a camera repairman!!!
I don't think a film camera could justify its existence. But how about a Digital K1000 (or, better, a KX?) It could become a great student camera. And it could have ASA driven off the dial and just a minimum of buttons on the back to review taken pictures, format a memory card (with a lock!) and not much else..

05-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
No one would expect Fiat to make parts for a '78 Gremlin, just because they bought what was left of what was left of the company.
My father owned two Ramblers and I learned to drive on his third, a '72 AMC Hornet Sportabout. (think stretched Gremlin). No power steering, no power breaks, no power anything other than the strength of your arms and right leg (and wrist power to roll up the window).

For the first time, he asked me for advice in 2005, and I told him to get a Toyota Avalon. He's still driving it. But I digress.....

Fiat does make their own modern gremlins, don't they?
05-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #24
Forum Member

Id love to see a digital camera built like the Spotmatic. Leica did it ,so it’s not like it can’t be done.
05-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd dump all of my EOS gear for a digital LX. It would have to be exactly the same size, shape, and metering abilities though.
05-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Craftsman Quote
Id love to see a digital camera built like the Spotmatic. Leica did it ,so it’s not like it can’t be done.

Would like to see digital cameras die. But that just me.
05-15-2018, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

From Rice Highes Pentax blog
Attached Images

05-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Seems like that would unfortunately cost a lot more than a K-1.
05-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #29
Pentaxian

A faux film camera. Why in the world would you want a fake one when you can have a real one . . .

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 10:48 PM ----------

There was a limited run release - including lens, so it is not impossible as some seem to think -> Voigtlander Bessaflex TM -- "Pentax Screw Mount" SLR. It's quite a looker too!

---------- Post added 05-15-18 at 11:01 PM ----------

I enjoyed reading this article on the Nikon FM3A - Nikon's last production manual camera. It states, "An engineer from the subcontractor engaged in the production of leather grain for FM3A was also getting close to retirement age. There is a story that he had ideas about retiring from the company, but he was reportedly prevented from leaving the company." Regarding the meter needle it states, "We are not competent to fabricate such a small and high-precision product."

I enjoyed the article so much, I had to get me one of those . . .

No doubt I have a few fully functional fully manual cameras, but I would love to reward Pentax with my business if they decide to make a new manual camera that is worthy of a release - not one that is plasticized.
05-16-2018, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally I would be more excited to see some more new film releases than an actual film camera. (yes you Kodak/Ektachrome!)

There are literally millions of perfectly working film cameras out there on the used market to keep us going for decades and decades.

Phil.