Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Film scanning

For those of you who do your own scanning of negatives, is it possible to scan two negatives sandwiched together?

Reason for asking: I have some true B&W (Tri-X) I shot of a covered bridge a few weeks ago in the lab and should be back this week. What I would like to do is shoot an underexposed shot of a model in white flowing dress against a background (black?). Then sandwich this with one of the covered bridge shots to give me an "ethereal wraith" floating across the bridge. They would then either need to be printed the old fashioned way or else scanned. Just wondering if the scan would work like that.

CW

09-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sure it is possible. Just stack em up!

Although, with the powers of photoshop et al, why not just scan them separately and stack them in software?
09-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Sure it is possible. Just stack em up!

Although, with the powers of photoshop et al, why not just scan them separately and stack them in software?
That's what I was thinking. In some situations, it may simplify blending the background if the same perspective exists in the negs. This will require some experimentation. There may be some issues with sandwiched negs being dark. Some scanners are sensitive to whether or not the emulsion side is up or down and that could cause some problems.
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nesstor and Blue, thanks for that idea. I'm sure that will work well except for one problem. While I have close to 40 years experience with film, I only have about 5 months experience with digital and I have no idea how one would go about doing that. I use Gimp for what little PP I do so I guess I'll have to study up some more on it and find out. I think PP is one of the things that will be covered in the Digital Photography class I will be taking so maybe I'll be able to find out how to do it there.

CW

09-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If gimp supports layers (I think it does):

Open the two scans, copy one and paste it over the other. Then there should be various 'blend modes' - a 'multiply' is the closest equivalent of laying two pieces of film over each other. You can try whatever others are available.

In photoshop, 'multiply' the image with itself is the same effect as doubling up the film in the old days. Rescues thin negatives
09-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
For those of you who do your own scanning of negatives, is it possible to scan two negatives sandwiched together?

Reason for asking: I have some true B&W (Tri-X) I shot of a covered bridge a few weeks ago in the lab and should be back this week. What I would like to do is shoot an underexposed shot of a model in white flowing dress against a background (black?). Then sandwich this with one of the covered bridge shots to give me an "ethereal wraith" floating across the bridge. They would then either need to be printed the old fashioned way or else scanned. Just wondering if the scan would work like that.

CW
WHile you have exressed that you have little experience with photoshop etc, take the shot of the model and erase the background, black blue what ever. When I mean erase, I really mean this, as it leaves the remainder of the area transparent.

You can then drop it directly on the image of the bridge.

Note also, stacking negatives would also work as the black backgroound would be transparent in the scan. Registration may be an image however, and also the model would have some of the inherent texture of the background (bridge) imposed on her unless the white is totally over exposed and black on the negative
09-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Registration may be an image however, and also the model would have some of the inherent texture of the background (bridge) imposed on her unless the white is totally over exposed and black on the negative
That's actually the image I would be striving for. A ghostly image on the bridge....you could see the image of the model but also see the bridge through her.

CW
09-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can certainly achieve all of the above with Gimp. Just be aware you'll be working in 8 bits, so every time you save the image it'll degrade somewhat. Gimp developers are working towards 16 bit, but it's a way off yet.
Dosdan seems to be the resident Gimp guru on this forum. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you PM him if you run into problems.