Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After metering (or when not using the camera), make sure the meter switch is down - this turns off the meter, saving batteries.

06-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #17

Original Poster
So after a bit of researching on the forum here and elsewhere it seems I am missing the correct regular lens for my camera.
The wide angle and telephoto lens are not going to be of use for everyday shooting??
It looks lake a 50mm lens is what I need.. Any suggestions as to what I should look for in my selection?
06-06-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by soonerbillz Quote
So after a bit of researching on the forum here and elsewhere it seems I am missing the correct regular lens for my camera.
The wide angle and telephoto lens are not going to be of use for everyday shooting??
It looks lake a 50mm lens is what I need.. Any suggestions as to what I should look for in my selection?
Just my humble opinion, but picking an "everyday" lens really depends on what you plan on shooting "every day".
06-06-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best bang for the buck is that focal range. There are many dozens of good lenses available.

The Pentax branded ones that are most like what you want are in this area of the site along with user reviews. Pentax M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

06-06-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

My first "real" camera was a Spotmatic, of which the SP500 is a derivative. Great camera.

I suggest that you find a copy of Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". This book explains the "triangle" of film speed/shutter speed/aperture. It is an excellent tutorial for a beginner. It not only explains how to get a technically "correct" exposure, but also when you might want to use a different "artistic" equivalent exposure.

BTW, a bit of trivia about the SP500. There was another derivative of the Spotmatic, called the SP1000. The only difference between it and the SP500 was the 1/1000 shutter speed. In reality, the SP500 has the extra shutter setting as well. The shutter speed dial has one additional, unmarked click stop past the 500 stop. That is the 1/1000. It is my understanding that the SP500 and SP1000 are identical, except for the marking on the shutter speed dial.

That said, back in the day, if you returned your SP500, saying that the 1/1000 shutter speed was not working properly, they would not "repair" it. They would for an SP1000.

Your SP500 was originally sold with a 55mm, f/2 Super Takumar lens. Pentax made several lenses in 50 or 55mm focal lengths, including the marvelous 50mm, f/1.4. This range is the so-called "normal" lens, but, as someone else pointed out, your shooting style or subject matter may mean that some other focal length will be your normal. For example, if you shoot mostly landscapes, you might prefer a 35mm or 28mm wideangle lens. If you shoot birds in flight, a 200 or 300mm lens might be more appropriate. The 50mm-ish focal length is considered normal because most people find that it most closely captures the perspective of the human eye.
06-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RaceAddict Quote
Just my humble opinion, but picking an "everyday" lens really depends on what you plan on shooting "every day".

Yeah..true... I said everyday... maybe I should have said "common" ..I don't really know. Can I use the Sigma Widemax 1:28 F28 lense effectively for shooting or is it more suited to a specific effect?
Same for the 135mm 1:28 telephoto that came with the camera?

---------- Post added 06-07-18 at 10:56 AM ----------

Sorry.. reread Noblepa's post and it tells me about the wide angle lens applications.. I'm trying to get all this in focus..
06-07-2018, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For learning and having fun, start with what you have. When you bump into a lens limitation (I can’t get close enough, or I can’t get everything in the frame, for example) you’ll know what to get next.

It can be a lot less frustrating than randomly throwing gear at a problem you don’t actually have...

-Eric

06-09-2018, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
For learning and having fun, start with what you have. When you bump into a lens limitation (I can’t get close enough, or I can’t get everything in the frame, for example) you’ll know what to get next.

It can be a lot less frustrating than randomly throwing gear at a problem you don’t actually have...

-Eric
Confirmed stick the wide on and shoot a roll.
You need the instruction book
Pentax SP-500 instruction manual, user guide
And you don’t look at the back of the camera after a shot instead you watch the rewind knob counter rotate as you wind on to next shot!
06-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #24

Original Poster
So here's a crappy update...
I had fun with the camera for around 11 shots and then the mirror stuck and won't return to it's proper position..
Very unhappy I am to say the least.
I found the contact and website for Eric and have sent the camera off to him to be repaired or at least get a estimate. I looked around and found a few other SP500's for sale at various prices but I am thinking that another camera purchase vs. getting this one fixed and serviced is not so hot a idea. Am I wrong to think my camera repair vs another crap shoot is the better move?
06-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I had fun with the camera for around 11 shots and then the mirror stuck and won't return to it's proper position..
I found the contact and website for Eric and have sent the camera off to him to be repaired or at least get a estimate. I looked around and found a few other SP500's for sale at various prices but I am thinking that another camera purchase vs. getting this one fixed and serviced is not so hot a idea. Am I wrong to think my camera repair vs another crap shoot is the better move?
It's a pretty common issue with old cameras. Repair is probably a better option.
06-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While it would likely be cheaper to get another copy, if you get the camera serviced, you'll be looking at having a great camera for many years. One of my Spotmatics (SP) will be headed to the repair man for a good CLA as soon as I can find a battery cover. That way I'll have two working models for as long as I need to shoot them. They are built like tanks, but need a little CLA after all these years.
06-16-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

You made a good choice. CLAs on these aren't terribly expensive, parts are still easy to come by. Repairing the one you have will give you a camera you know will be good for many, many years in most cases. Finding another one is just another roll of the dice in terms of what may be wrong with it instead.
06-17-2018, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
You made a good choice. CLAs on these aren't terribly expensive, parts are still easy to come by. Repairing the one you have will give you a camera you know will be good for many, many years in most cases. Finding another one is just another roll of the dice in terms of what may be wrong with it instead.
They are not like digital cameras repair is normally economic but most people have more than one, you need to resist temptation!
06-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
They are not like digital cameras repair is normally economic but most people have more than one, you need to resist temptation!
Ok.. lol.. if a historical review of my resistance capability for not supplementing vintage parts and motorcycles is any indication... I may be in trouble.
I already have spied a couple likely suspects locally and I think another bout of acquisition sickness may be a likely prognosis....
06-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Ok.. lol.. if a historical review of my resistance capability for not supplementing vintage parts and motorcycles is any indication... I may be in trouble.
I already have spied a couple likely suspects locally and I think another bout of acquisition sickness may be a likely prognosis....
Join us...