Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

SV jammed advance lever

The advance lever on my SV will only advance about a quarter of the way before running into resistance. There's no film in it, and the mirror is in the down position where it should be. I think my last successful advance before this felt a little "gravely", if that makes any sense, but I could just be remembering things funny. Any tips to try and solve this?

06-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do not force it in any way, as I'm sure you're aware. I'll preface this response by saying that I've never personally been inside the SV, but your symptoms sound very similar to this:
Jammed S1a (this is for an S1a, but they are identical in many ways)
If in any doubt, stop. The SV is not terribly expensive to CLA, being all mechanical and without any electronics.
If you're comfortable removing the bottom plate, this may be of help to you.
If not, send it to Eric Hendrickson or other reputable tech.
06-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Do not force it in any way, as I'm sure you're aware. I'll preface this response by saying that I've never personally been inside the SV, but your symptoms sound very similar to this:
Jammed S1a (this is for an S1a, but they are identical in many ways)
If in any doubt, stop. The SV is not terribly expensive to CLA, being all mechanical and without any electronics.
If you're comfortable removing the bottom plate, this may be of help to you.
If not, send it to Eric Hendrickson or other reputable tech.
Just took the baseplate off, and unfortunately the insides bore little resemblance to that SPII. I couldn't find a component that looked much like that mirror lever in it. Looking through the SV service manual now...
06-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandy_ada Quote
Just took the baseplate off, and unfortunately the insides bore little resemblance to that SPII. I couldn't find a component that looked much like that mirror lever in it. Looking through the SV service manual now...
Was worth a shot. Sorry I've not peaked in there. Sorry I've not experience working with this one.
Though I could remove the plate from mine and post up a pic of how things *should* look if that's helpful.

06-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Was worth a shot. Sorry I've not peaked in there. Sorry I've not experience working with this one.
Though I could remove the plate from mine and post up a pic of how things *should* look if that's helpful.
I suppose that might help? Assuming they don't end up looking identical of course
06-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandy_ada Quote
I suppose that might help? Assuming they don't end up looking identical of course
That is possible. This is *not* wound on.

---------- Post added 06-15-18 at 10:19 PM ----------

Good luck. I'm off to bed. Don't break it more.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 4  Photo 
06-17-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a high def video of the repair procedure that you probably need. It will take a while to upload but once it's done, I'll post the link for you here.

06-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I have a high def video of the repair procedure that you probably need. It will take a while to upload but once it's done, I'll post the link for you here.
That would be perfect. Thank you.
06-17-2018, 03:14 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Here you go.

06-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good show, sir.
06-17-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks. I was just kind of fumbling through as I filmed so I didn't anticipate a few of the issues that I created when I tried to reproduce the failure. In the end though, it all worked out and my immaculate, fully serviced SV is back up and running again. Hopefully my amateur job of me filming myself intentionally breaking and then repairing my SV will be of benifit to others.
06-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well, I got it to fire once, and then the next time I wound it to fire again, it got stuck again, even though it seems to have every piece in the same place as yours does in that stage of the wind cycle.
06-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I artificially caused the malfunction by stopping the silver lever from pivoting and capturing the black lever. The trouble with your SV sounds like a timing issue caused by old lube. If the lubricant in the mechanisms involved in cocking the shutter is old, it may have become slightly sticky or gummy, causing things to slow down. You could attempt to clean and relube some of the pivot points to see if that doesn't help.
06-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #14

Original Poster
I artificially caused the malfunction by stopping the silver lever from pivoting and capturing the black lever. The trouble with your SV sounds like a timing issue caused by old lube. If the lubricant in the mechanisms involved in cocking the shutter is old, it may have become slightly sticky or gummy, causing things to slow down. You could attempt to clean and relube some of the pivot points to see if that doesn't help.
Not sure if it’s that; Eric repaired/CLA’d it in January. The problem the first time was the silver lever failing to catch the black one, as you said.
06-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Since Eric just serviced your SV, he will most likely repair the issue it is having under warranty. I would contact him before doing anything else.