Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
3rd Party K-mount Cameras

Since I didn't find a post like this, thought I'd make a post of people showing off their 3rd Party K-mount Film Camera's (e.g. Sears, Ricoh, Vivitar, etc.) and their experiances with it.

Last edited by disconnekt; 06-16-2018 at 12:53 PM.
06-16-2018, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, I might have a few...

06-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

I have several Chinon's Ricoh's and Sears cameras.

While not as fancy as a Super Program, the XR-P and CP-5/KSX-P both have pros and cons. Off the three; the Ricoh had the most features, but the electronics have not agged well. I have had several XR-P's and KR-30sp's just quit mid roll with fresh batteries. The CP-5 and its Sears KSX-P twin are my favorite of the buch. Great features, Program mode using ANY K-mount lens, and a plasticy industructable construction, and cheap AAA batteries.

My very first SLR was a Sears KS Super II and my second was a Ricoh KR-30sp, I bought as a College graduation present to myself.
Attached Images

06-16-2018, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps we should create a category for these in the camera DB!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK, I will play...

Here is one with two of my Ricohs playing nice winder games with the Super Program.

These are the winders after the cameras were called in for dinner. You can tell the Pentax one from the Ricoh's by its complexity. It works about the same, only with more buttons and not playing well with flash.

Here is the Ricoh XR-2s showing that it shares certain characteristics with the KX. I don't have a black KX, but if I did the two together would even more alarming.

Finally, here is the very special edition SteveBrot K-3, a rare Portlandic clone of the Ricoh/Pentax camera with the same name. I do rather prefer my SteveBrot.

I have M42 stuff too if you want to see those too.

Steve

(Just realized that I totally am lacking in beauty shots of the Ricoh XR7 and Ricoh XR-2s...will add those later.)
06-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
I have several Chinon's Ricoh's and Sears cameras.

While not as fancy as a Super Program, the XR-P and CP-5/KSX-P both have pros and cons. Off the three; the Ricoh had the most features, but the electronics have not agged well. I have had several XR-P's and KR-30sp's just quit mid roll with fresh batteries. The CP-5 and its Sears KSX-P twin are my favorite of the buch. Great features, Program mode using ANY K-mount lens, and a plasticy industructable construction, and cheap AAA batteries.

My very first SLR was a Sears KS Super II and my second was a Ricoh KR-30sp, I bought as a College graduation present to myself.
Love the brand-x winder on the Super Program

Steve
06-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never seen a Hikari camera before, but I did sell their Japanese koi food when I worked in the pet store:

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.
06-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've never seen a Hikari camera before. I sold their Japanese koi food when I worked in the pet store.

Chris
It's basically the same camera as the Vivitar V3800N or Promaster 2500PK Super. Made by Cosina, probably derived from the Cosina C1s. That's about all the info I've ever been able to find...
06-16-2018, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
. . .
Here is the Ricoh XR-2s showing that it shares certain characteristics with the KX. I don't have a black KX, but if I did the two together would even more alarming.
. . .

From what I've read, the Sears KS Auto is a re-badged Ricoh XR-2s. Here's my Sears along with a KX:

I don't shoot with my KS Auto, but buying it at a Goodwill store a few years ago was a milestone for me. It was the 50mm lens attached to the camera which marked the beginning of my ascent into LBA lunacy.
06-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps we should create a category for these in the camera DB!
Yeah that would be awesome to see, would be great to see a list of all the known 3rd party brands, even the odd-ball ones, that released kmount bodies on one site instead of trying to dig through google/random sites to get questionable info on a specific body.
06-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
From what I've read, the Sears KS Auto is a re-badged Ricoh XR-2s.
Yes, that is true. What is funny to me is that while there is imitation of control placement, the purposes are different. The shutter lock on the KX works as the battery check on the XR-2s/KS Auto while the battery check on the KX works as the film speed release on the XR-2s. There are the other, more obvious differences though. The XR-2s has no MLU and the KX has no multiple-exposure feature nor "Auto" position on the shutter speed dial nor viewfinder blind (no need). The viewfinder displays are almost identical except that on the XR-2s, there is a flash-ready lamp and half-press must be sustained in order for the meter needle to be active.

Steve
06-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Love the brand-x winder on the Super Program

Steve
Yeah, that was the first winder I bought. The real winder is on my ME-F
06-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had no idea there were so many off ball K mount bodies over the years. I'm getting an education! This makes the whole Ricoh buyout of Pentax a little more logical I think.
06-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
Forum Member

I just unpacked my new Ricoh XR-M. It is in almost perfect condition, only problem is the flash will not lock down. Here it is with the Chinon CP-7m about the same age.
Attached Images

Last edited by kneemeister; 06-16-2018 at 08:42 PM.
06-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
I had no idea there were so many off ball K mount bodies over the years. I'm getting an education! This makes the whole Ricoh buyout of Pentax a little more logical I think.
There is evidence of collaboration between Ricoh and Pentax going back to the early days of the K-mount. For example, the Pentax-M 200/4 and XR Rikenon 200/4 clearly came from the same factory. Whether it was at Asahi or at Ricoh is a matter or speculation. As for the full range of K-mount cameras, even the Russians fielded a K-mount line. At one point, K-mount support was pretty much essential for a third-party lens maker to stay in business.

Steve