Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #1

Auto 110 only advances with winder attached

Hi everyone,
I purchased a Pentax auto 110 off of ebay. The camera seems to work but I can only get the shutter to cock once, advancing the film half a frame. I have the winder which does not seem to function itself. Despite putting in new batteries flipping the switch does nothing. Even though the winder doesn't function as intended, keeping it attached does solve the original problem of the film not fully advancing. The hole that is filled by the winder on the bottom of the camera does not appear to press inward on the camera body. I'm not sure what exactly is solving the advance problem but if I can figure out how the winder solves the problem maybe I can address the root of the issue.

I'm using lomography tiger film, so the cartridge alone could be the problems from the sound of a few other forums. Also, I'm aware of the registration pin inside. Cocking the advance level once, opening the back, and messing with the pin, allows me to advance the film the rest of the way. This isn't any kind of solution though because I would constantly be flashing the film.

Any info or direction is appreciated!

06-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #2

Self,

You do realize that the Auto 110 is a dual stroke camera, right. It takes two full strokes of the advance lever to fully advance the film and cock the shutter. Dual stroke advances were once fairly common, since it lessened the stresses on brass advance gears and reduced the risk of tearing film. Leica M3's started out as dual stroke cameras, though Leica later offered single stroke advances and even offered upgrades through service centers. My Minox 35GL also has a dual stroke advance.

Good luck,
Scott

Last edited by skucera; 06-20-2018 at 08:23 PM.
06-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm aware it's a two stroke, which is kinda my problem. It will only crank once, or half a frame. It won't crank the second time without the winder on the bottom.
06-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax 110s aren't that difficult to find, so I would suggest finding a replacement.

As for the winder: They have a nasty flaw with the battery covers. If you make sure to keep the cover fully in contact with the batteries, it might work.

06-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by notetoself066 Quote
I'm aware it's a two stroke, which is kinda my problem. It will only crank once, or half a frame. It won't crank the second time without the winder on the bottom.
Have you checked the little metal feeler on the edge of the film path to see if it is popping out or if it is stuck in the retracted position? The reason I ask is that the commercial 110 film has one sprocket hole per frame. The metal feeler catches in that sprocket hole, and once it can pop out into the hole, the winder switches from advancing the film to cocking the shutter. If that little metal feeler is bent or gummed up so it can't pop out into the hole, and the advance just won't work correctly. Check it out and see if it's working correctly.

Also, since you bought it on eBay, you can always challenge the sale and get your money back. Buyer protections are much stronger than seller protections on eBay, so use the buyer protection to your advantage, and then buy another Auto 110.

Scott
08-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by notetoself066 Quote
Could it be an Auto 110 Super? The 110 Super is single stroke.
08-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Apologies if you've seen the threads below but they describe similar problems which might be down to particular films (I can't believe so many 110s are suddenly suffering similar problems):
Pentax 110 wind-on problem and Pentax Auto 110 Shutter Will Not Advance | Photo.net Photography Forums

First suggestion is to try and find different film as this seems to be a common denominator in the problems - I'd try this first before fiddling with the camera or winder. Once you've got known good film, the rest should be easier.