Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ND filter

I've discovered out here that 400 speed film is borderline unusable outdoors on a camera with a max shutter speed of 1/500. Basically I have the choice of shooting ƒ16 @ 1/500 or ƒ22 @ 1/250.

So I was thinking a simple 4 stop ND filter (ND16) would give me some more options.. ƒ4 @ 1/500 all the way to ƒ22 @ 1/15.

The question I have is how dark is leaving a 4 stop ND on the front of my lens (an ƒ2.8)? Is it too dark to focus with?

As an experiment, I went out yesterday afternoon with a polarizer, and rated the filter loss at 1 2/3 stops (I shot Tri-X at 125). The film looks very good, though I have't scanned it yet. Am I greedy hoping to get 4 stops and still use in daylight? Should I try 3 stops (ND8) instead? Taking the filter on and off would be problematic.

06-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Complete Guide to Neutral Density Filters
06-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
I didn't see the answer to my question in that link. Specifically is 4 stops of ND going to make it too dark to manually focus?

Geof
06-19-2018, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a 4 stop ND filter sometimes and for critical focusing it may be tricky, for landscape you should be ok. It also depends on how bright you cameras viewfinder is.

Phil.

06-19-2018, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I didn't see the answer to my question in that link. Specifically is 4 stops of ND going to make it too dark to manually focus?
It won't be easy, but in the bright conditions you're talking about you might get by. Stop your 2.8 down to f11 in the same type of light and have a look with DoF preview (which camera are you talking about specifically?) - it won't be the same obviously but should give you an approximation of how much light your eye will have.

Not sure it jives with how you're intending to shoot but alternatively, I'd look into proper filter systems like Lee with slide-in, locking plates. You can leave the holder mounted and take filters in and out easily, combine them, use grads, etc. A big world of options far beyond thread-mount filters.
06-19-2018, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you don't mind color casts (e.g. you're shooting B/W film), or find one that doesn't have much, you could use a variable ND. You focus, then rotate the filter and shoot.

With a 2 to 8 stops, you can live with a 2-stop loss (like using a polarizer), especially since you say that it will be used in Sunny-16 conditions.

A lighter 0.45-2.7 stops could do in those cases when there's a little less light, but still too much to get the aperture/shutter speed combo you need.
06-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
If you don't mind color casts (e.g. you're shooting B/W film), or find one that doesn't have much, you could use a variable ND. You focus, then rotate the filter and shoot.

With a 2 to 8 stops, you can live with a 2-stop loss (like using a polarizer), especially since you say that it will be used in Sunny-16 conditions.

A lighter 0.45-2.7 stops could do in those cases when there's a little less light, but still too much to get the aperture/shutter speed combo you need.
I thought about variable ND, but the ones I looked at don't have graduated markings and this camera (Bronica ETRSi) doesn't have TTL metering. I suppose I could test it out and make my own markings.

The focusing screen on this camera is pretty bright at ƒ2.8 (the fastest lenses for the system.) So it may be OK.

I've considered a Cokin/Lee filter system, and I may try that in the future, but I bought this camera as a simple lightweight medium format alternative to my Pentax 67 (which I love, but weighs a ton). I've outfitted it minimally--lens, body, back, and waist level finder, and its almost as easy to carry as a DSLR. Adding a full filter system as opposed to a screw-on ND definitely takes it out of "walk around" category.

I didn't even think to try stopping down the lens--duh! I'll give it a go today and see how dark it gets.

06-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Adding a full filter system as opposed to a screw-on ND definitely takes it out of "walk around" category.

I didn't even think to try stopping down the lens--duh! I'll give it a go today and see how dark it gets.
Yeah - definitely more fiddly and bulky. Good news is, depending which one, you could use all the filters you pick up on the 67 as well.
Good luck man - sounds fun. Never played with the ETRSi but a friend of mine in Denmark loves them dearly.
If you're using a WLF I'd *imagine* (again haven't used those) it might be pretty rough in bright sun, but if using a prism with a eye-cup/shade you might be fine.
06-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yeah - definitely more fiddly and bulky. Good news is, depending which one, you could use all the filters you pick up on the 67 as well.
Good luck man - sounds fun. Never played with the ETRSi but a friend of mine in Denmark loves them dearly.
If you're using a WLF I'd *imagine* (again haven't used those) it might be pretty rough in bright sun, but if using a prism with a eye-cup/shade you might be fine.
If you flip up magnifier, the WLF is basically a closed box without any significant light leaks. If I leave the magnifier down, depending on the sun’s position, the screen can completely wash out.
06-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you flip up magnifier, the WLF is basically a closed box without any significant light leaks. If I leave the magnifier down, depending on the sun’s position, the screen can completely wash out.
More light-tight than the 67 WLF then? The one on my Pentacon isn't bad, but light still find its way in there when it's bright and washes everything out a bit.
06-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More light-tight than the 67 WLF then? The one on my Pentacon isn't bad, but light still find its way in there when it's bright and washes everything out a bit.
Not perfect, but pretty good. There are a few angles where the front seam between the finder and the body will let slip a narrow beam. I haven't tried the P67 WLF in bright light, so I can't compare.
06-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The obvious question is why not use a slower film (I guess there's a reason)? I've had problems focussing through a mono red filter (which loses perhaps 2 stops), if you're shooting mono, wouldn't a set of colour filters be more suitable?

Lee filters are very good, but the overall cost (depending on how many filter thread sizes and filters you need/want) certainly adds up very quickly (more more so than Cokin P series).
06-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do, but there are limitations. I've been shooting a lot of TMAX 100, but after shooting some Tri-X, I really preferred the tonality. I liked the Fomapan 100 I shot recently, and I'm going to try some more rolls, but depending on who you ask, there are a lot of quality control issues with Fomapan, and I might be happier sticking with a yellow box (though even Kodak has had reliability issues recently.) Additionally, 100 speed is only two stops from 400. Not much ISO 25 film out there. I have a roll of Ilford Pan-F+ at ISO 50 which I'm going to try out. Is there any sub-100 speed color other than the nice but extremely expensive Velvia 50? I guess there is Cinestill, which I've never tried.
06-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I do, but there are limitations. I've been shooting a lot of TMAX 100, but after shooting some Tri-X, I really preferred the tonality. I liked the Fomapan 100 I shot recently, and I'm going to try some more rolls, but depending on who you ask, there are a lot of quality control issues with Fomapan, and I might be happier sticking with a yellow box (though even Kodak has had reliability issues recently.) Additionally, 100 speed is only two stops from 400. Not much ISO 25 film out there. I have a roll of Ilford Pan-F+ at ISO 50 which I'm going to try out. Is there any sub-100 speed color other than the nice but extremely expensive Velvia 50? I guess there is Cinestill, which I've never tried.
Cinestill 50D is lovely stuff. Expensive, but lovely. (Though I've only shot it in 135)
06-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cinestill 50D is lovely stuff. Expensive, but lovely. (Though I've only shot it in 135)
I bought a roll in 120 from a local film store, trying to figure out what I want to shoot with it. Cost about twice as much as a roll of Ektar or Portra in 120 and is equivalent to the cost of a roll of Velvia 50!

Phil.