Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What was the problem here?

These three photos were shot within a couple of minutes of each other. Exposures were all within one stop of each other and this was Tri-X film shot with an MX and -M 50mm f1.7 lens. The major difference other than exposure would simply have been a change in where I was standing and that was only by a few steps. Does this look like a major light leak or does it seem to be a problem caused by x-ray?

Attached Images

09-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My first question is: how do the negatives look? Is there a corresponding thinness in the second two?
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i think this is a development stage error rather than shooting error

although the first image is overexposed (however this can entirely be the scanners fault)
09-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nesster, the negatives are equally thin. Gooshin, these were hand processed by a specialty lab with over 20 years experience with B&W so I don't think processing was the problem although anyone can make a mistake. It's not as easily seen in these shots as it is on the proof sheet provided by the lab but there is an obvious darker band top to bottom on the left hand side of both frames. Here is a later shot from the same roll and again it's overexposed but note the dark blotch on the upper left side.

And yes, I know better than to stick my finger in front of the lens. LOL

CW

Attached Images

09-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
These three photos were shot within a couple of minutes of each other. Exposures were all within one stop of each other and this was Tri-X film shot with an MX and -M 50mm f1.7 lens. The major difference other than exposure would simply have been a change in where I was standing and that was only by a few steps. Does this look like a major light leak or does it seem to be a problem caused by x-ray?
Do you use a soft case with the camera? I ask because I have found that even leaky seals often do not cause much problem when the camera is in it's ever-ready. If the camera was in an ever-ready, I am already not thinking leaks. I know that sounds silly, but really, I had a leaky camera and just always shot in the case and everything was usually fine.

The first two seem way too uniform for leaks, and I'd have expected the first one to have issues too. If there were no issue before or after, I'm going to guess that you accidentally moved the aperture ring and didn't know it.

The one of the covered bridge looks much more like a light leak to me. Can't swear to it, but that's the kind of thing that always happened to me. Top left usually. You used the ever-ready whilst traveling but not when you shot the covered bridge? Sun was on your 9:00 when you took the covered bridge?

Shoot a couple more rolls. Case on, case off, take notes. Take note of sun position and try different positions to see if you can reproduce this. When was your last CLA on this machine?

I have some extra material for seals if you want some...

seaain
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure if it was your problem. As the MX has aged, the mechanical shutter mechanisms will have a difficult time to maintain their calibrated speed. From 1s to 1/30s, the speed will become faster. From 1/60s to 1/1000s, the speed will become slower. If those underexposed shots were done between 1-1/30s, the shutter might be too old to maintain the speeds.
09-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Actually I didn't use a field case on the MX as I don't yet have one to fit it. I'm going to shoot some Kodak Gold through it for cheap processing and see how it works. I know that everyone says airport x-ray won't affect film unless it's at least 800 ASA but when we flew out to Ireland, they kept my camera bag in the x-ray for a LONG time (I could see the screen). Some of the shots on the roll seem to resemble some of the examples of x-ray exposure shown here.
Baggage X-ray Scanning Effects on Film

CW
09-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm going to shoot some Kodak Gold through it for cheap processing and see how it works.
I'm pretty well thinking its not light leaks all things being equal. If it was, based on no case, and based on essentially the same exposure and position you'd certainly have experienced the same result on the first castle picture. X-Ray does seem a distinct possibility given circumstances, though I do not have enough experience with it to pronounce that as the cause.

Running some experiments in film seems a good idea CW. Alan may be on to something too. I don't know the camera but Alan has a point. I assumed that the exposure did not change as stated by you, and since it is fully manual, you were in control of that. But it is probably worth shooting a series with a couple shots from as many of the shutter speeds as you can shoot with no other variations to see if you might have issues there.

That's the first thing I do with a new to me old body. I usually use plain old 200 ASA Fuji in 12 exposure rolls for this, but Kodak Gold seems a good choice of sacrificial film as well... I use a small notebook and take note of the setting for each shot. Actually, byu now I've memorized the sequence ... ;-)

Let us know what you find.

woof!

09-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't think there is any mystery here.
The first picture is over exposed and the second and third pictures are grossly under exposed.
I am not familiar with the MX. Does it have exposure lock? If so, taking your readings from the wrong areas and locking it might account for the different exposures.
Metering from the bright sky would result in underexposure.
Metering from a dark area of the building would give you an overexposure.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 09-14-2008 at 10:44 AM.
09-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I am not familiar with the MX. Does it have exposure lock? Mickey
its a fully mechanical camera.....
09-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Way bakc when I used to develop my own BW, I had a number of screwups that looked a lot liek that. Usually resulted from bits of the film touching each other when they shouldn't during developing. Like I jumped a groove on the spool.
09-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were the 1st three negatives immediately adjacent to each other?
09-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Were the 1st three negatives immediately adjacent to each other?
Mike yes they were. The first negative is #14 and the next two are 15 & 16. Number 17 looked the same as those two and 18 & 19 are completely blank. A similar pattern repeats later on with negatives 30 & 31 looking like 15 & 16 with negative 32 again blank. The covered bridge, btw, is #25.

CW
09-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe you have an issue potentially with the apature not closing down on some shots.

I don't think this is eithe ra light leak otr xray fogging as it would not so uniformly impact only some shots.

Same for shutter problems, as they would generally tend to show up as light on boittom dark on tip, or the other way round as I forget which way the shutter moves on an MX.
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

raz-o has a good point, shoot a quick 24 frames and get it developed at the local drug store. If your equipment is at fault, you should get similar results. If not, we might suspect the person developing your film may have misfed the reel.