Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

KX is on it's way

bid on a kx this week and won. it's supposed to be fully functioning albeit, the shutter response is a tad slow. can't wait to get it and give it the once over.

06-22-2018, 07:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats! I recently got a km, which seemed in very nice shape and good working order, so to keep it like that it's currently undergoing a CLA. It's my first fully mechanical pentax.
06-22-2018, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The KX and the KM are two of my favorite K mounts. I might even go so far as to say that I like them better than my MXs. I love the simplicity of the KMs meter and the meter display of the KX KILLS the crappy LED display in the MX. The shutter speed dial in both is far easier to manipulate than the MX too. Enjoy the KX. It's easily one of Pentax's top three.
06-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a very nice camera!
I've got one, and together with a KM it was one of my stepping stones to photography quite some time ago.
It's still beautiful.

06-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
any common issues i should look out for with the kx?
06-23-2018, 12:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the usual... rubber from the seals on the mirror, probably do a CLA anyway if you plan to use it.
06-23-2018, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

You made me do what I was planning to since forever, but never got around to it I took some pictures of mine
Today's flash project - PentaxForums.com

06-23-2018, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You made me do what I was planning to since forever, but never got around to it I took some pictures of mine
Today's flash project - PentaxForums.com
nice! i liked the light falling on the camera. window light? morning? evening?
06-23-2018, 05:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rickxx Quote
nice! i liked the light falling on the camera. window light? morning? evening?
I titled it "Flash project", with "flash" meaning "(off-camera) flashgun", not "quick and dirty"
Details of the setup are just below the second picture.
06-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any common issues i should look out for with the kx?
Stiff film speed dial... I've seen it on more than a few
06-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
Stiff film speed dial... I've seen it on more than a few
thanks. i'll be sure to check that out. coming in later today.
07-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
got the kx a couple of days ago and mechanically everything seems good. shutter speeds sound about right, mirror not sticking, self timer and mirror up working properly. the only issue i'm finding is the light meter. meter needle is up in the + position, battery check not bring needle down. i've cleaned the contacts with an eraser, inserted new batteries, rotated the asa dial several times, and rotated the shutter speed dial several times. i've got the camera sitting near a window to see if an infusion of light will bring it back to life but so far no go.

anyone have any other ideas?
07-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

got the kx a couple of days ago and mechanically everything seems good. shutter speeds sound about right, mirror not sticking, self timer and mirror up working properly. the only issue i'm finding is the light meter. meter needle is up in the + position, battery check not bring needle down. i've cleaned the contacts with an eraser, inserted new batteries, rotated the asa dial several times, and rotated the shutter speed dial several times. i've got the camera sitting near a window to see if an infusion of light will bring it back to life but so far no go.

To turn on the KX meter you need to move the film advance lever part way and do a half press of the shutter button. Also check what the lens aperture is set to, if indoors move it to f/4.

here is a link to the KX manual:

Pentax KX Manual

Phil.
07-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I had a KX with the same behavior,it ended up going to Eric.He did a CLA and meter replacement.
07-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
To turn on the KX meter you need to move the film advance lever part way and do a half press of the shutter button. Also check what the lens aperture is set to, if indoors move it to f/4.

here is a link to the KX manual:

Pentax KX Manual

Phil.
thanks. yeah, the film advance lever is out and half-press....nada. haven't tried it with the aperture at f/4, but i will.