Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 08:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Pentax Spotmatic features in cool new Steve Carell movie

Presumably set in the early 60s. It's about Mark Hogancamp (Steve Carell) a victim of a violent assault who constructs a miniature World War II village in his yard to help in his recovery.

Best part of the trailer are the lovely shots of Hogancamp using his Asahi Pentax (Spotmatic?) to capture his miniatures. I did wonder a little about which lens he was using at that distance.

It's an upcoming American psychological-biographical comedy-drama film directed by Robert Zemeckis. It is inspired by Jeff Malmberg's 2010 documentary Marwencol. The film stars Steve Carell, Leslie Mann, Diane Kruger, Merritt Wever, Janelle Monáe, Eiza González, Gwendoline Christie, Leslie Zemeckis, and Neil Jackson. The film will be released by Universal Pictures on November 21, 2018.

Attached Images

06-22-2018, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmatic II??

Steve
06-23-2018, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Spotmatic II??
I think you guessed it right - the part with 'Asahi Pentax' is pretty bulky, like in M42 cameras, and there is a hotshoe, introduced in Mark II.
06-23-2018, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the film setting is “early 60s” a Pentax makes sense, as it was very popular, but the SPII wasn’t out until later. If before ‘64 it should have been a non-metered model. The Spotmatic was introduced in ‘64. The SPII in ‘71.
But movies seldom get such details right, and it doesn’t affect the story.
I was once contacted about loaning my VW Beetle for a movie set in the late ‘50s, but mine was a ‘62, and I was amazed they thought of that level of detail.

06-23-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I was once contacted about loaning my VW Beetle for a movie set in the late ‘50s, but mine was a ‘62, and I was amazed they thought of that level of detail.
I used to be one of those people that could visually identify every year of VW beetle, if they hadn't been frankenstein'd with wrong year parts. I've long since lost that knowledge. Mine was a 1959, and my Bus a 1963 deluxe.
06-23-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
I think you guessed it right - the part with 'Asahi Pentax' is pretty bulky, like in M42 cameras, and there is a hotshoe, introduced in Mark II.
You can read the Spotmatic label on the front and the hotshoe clenches it the identification. I put ???? because, while I actually own an SPII, I am not that familiar with the later model Spotmatics (those having hotshoes).

Steve
06-23-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Viewfinder

The quick shot of him using the viewfinder is not from a Spotmatic.

06-23-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
The quick shot of him using the viewfinder is not from a Spotmatic.
Do you mean the "through the finder" view? That does not look like any slr viewfinder I've ever seen (pano framelines with aperture info?).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-23-2018 at 12:06 PM.
06-23-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
If the film setting is “early 60s” a Pentax makes sense
The attack on the real-life Mark Hogancamp happened in 2000. Vehicles in the background of some scenes in the trailer are recent models. The choice of camera may represent something other than when the film is set.

Steve
06-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The attack on the real-life Mark Hogancamp happened in 2000. Vehicles in the background of some scenes in the trailer are recent models. The choice of camera may represent something other than when the film is set.

Steve
I think you nailed it. The Pentax was part of the fantasy/fictional aspects of the screenplay. I just checked the original documentary trailer at

The closeup of the real Hogancamp circa 2000 shows him with some fixed lens compact digital camera with flip-out display (a Pentax/Olympus/?) I can't tell.But definitely not a Spotmatic in that shot.

It sorta looks like an Optio 230 but, it's got a left-handed grip. Strange and intriguing.
Attached Images

Last edited by johnhilvert; 06-23-2018 at 04:37 PM.
06-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Google search turned up info that he used a K1000 with a broken light meter.Later,his mother bought him a Canon G6 7.1 mp digital.Interesting story though.Thanks for sharing this!
06-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I used to be one of those people that could visually identify every year of VW beetle, if they hadn't been frankenstein'd with wrong year parts. I've long since lost that knowledge. Mine was a 1959, and my Bus a 1963 deluxe.
You probably "still have" that knowledge.
You just didn't acquire the knowledge of VW's introduced later!
B^)

Or as they say...
"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"
06-27-2018, 02:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

So I saw this upcoming Steve Carrel movie…

And he's shooting a Spotmatic:

https://uncrate.com/p/2018/06/welcome-to-marwen.jpg

I couldn't help but smile seeing an Asahi Pentax prominently featured in a movie trailer. It's not the hypest flick of the year nor the big summer movie, it's rather a biographical drama coming this fall, and the thing is I hope it causes interest in the brand at some level and introduces the brand to younger generations.
What do y'all think?

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-27-2018, 04:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't know about this Carell guy... mmkay... Battle of the Sexes... seen that one... I think that's it.
Will be looking forward for this one though, even if it's only for the Spotmatic!
06-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So long as people looking for the camera use "Pentax" not "Asahi."