Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Pentax LX battery compartment

I recently purchased a pentax lx film camera. It had a decent lens on it so I wasn't that concerned if the camera didn't work. And of course it didn't. There is no indication that the light meter is working.

The battery compartment has no corrosion and seems to be "all there". However it has a contact for the plus side of the battery along the side of the compartment and as far as I can tell does not have a negative contact. The bottom of the compartment where the negative part of the battery(s) contact is a rubber or flexible plastic membrane. The membrane is not conductive. This is a lot different than any other pentax film camera that I've seen.

In the photo above the + contact is at about 5 o'clock.

If a viewer has an LX and could let me know what the battery compartment looks like it would be appreciated. Better yet a photo of the open compartment would be a great help.

Thank you,

John.

06-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi John

Unfortunately the central contact is missing - I can take a photo of it later if you wish.
06-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Hi John

Unfortunately the central contact is missing - I can take a photo of it later if you wish.
Thank you for the quick response. A photo would be appreciated if it isn't too much trouble.

John.
06-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are the mechanical shutter speeds (bulb, X - 1/2000) functional?

06-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Screw it, I'll just post a link.https://www.flickr.com/photos/125870773@N07/29155514688/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited by ctrout; 06-26-2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Because I never seem to be able to just simply upload a photo without experiencing great difficulty in figuring it out.
06-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ctrout has done it already, but you may want to take a closer look
P.S. Have you tried to remove 'the membrane'? I think it is not original part of the battery chamber.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by pentageek; 06-26-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
06-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcs0001 Quote
I recently purchased a pentax lx film camera. It had a decent lens on it so I wasn't that concerned if the camera didn't work. And of course it didn't. There is no indication that the light meter is working.

The battery compartment has no corrosion and seems to be "all there". However it has a contact for the plus side of the battery along the side of the compartment and as far as I can tell does not have a negative contact. The bottom of the compartment where the negative part of the battery(s) contact is a rubber or flexible plastic membrane. The membrane is not conductive. This is a lot different than any other pentax film camera that I've seen.

In the photo above the + contact is at about 5 o'clock.

If a viewer has an LX and could let me know what the battery compartment looks like it would be appreciated. Better yet a photo of the open compartment would be a great help.

Thank you,

John.
Yep. I bought a what looked like brand new Pentax LX with exactly the same issue. Really strange. I was wondering if it was one that had failed quality checks and has subsequently got into the wild.

Regards

Chris

06-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Lx battery compartment

Thank you for the replies and photos of the battery compartment. I’ll take a look tomorrow morning but I think the membrane is original. I suspect it may have to do with the sealing on the camera. Interesting but it does not look like there was a contact in this one either. The camera itself looks to be little used.

John

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 07:49 PM ----------

Les
I will get back to you tomorrow about the speeds but I believe they are working. The camera is new to me so I’m not sure of it. Thank you John
06-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
Pentax LX battery compartment

LesDMess

The shutter fires when set to X to 200 and B.

I have an old k1000 parts camera and may be able to use the negative contact in it's battery compartment to fix this one. Won't be taking it apart in the near future but that is one possibility.

Thanks again everyone, for the photos and information,

John.
06-27-2018, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Ctrout has done it already, but you may want to take a closer look
P.S. Have you tried to remove 'the membrane'? I think it is not original part of the battery chamber.
I was wondering if the 'membrane' wasn't meant to be under the terminal and the terminal is missing, so it was original, just not visible in your photo (because the terminal is in the way).

But my first wonder was if the 'membrane' had somehow ended up on top of the terminal and it was actually still there... hard to see...

-Eric
06-27-2018, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
pentax LX battery compartment - solved

Pentageek and TwoUptons - you are genius's. I had looked at the membrane/boot and was concerned about it's placement but it seemed to be the "bottom" of the compartment. Took another look tonight and it came out revealing the contacts. Turns out the membrane is supposed to be in the screw on battery cap and fell into the compartment when the camera wasn't with batteries.

Shown with the membrane removed.

Membrane/boot on left and screw on cap on the right.

Thank you very much for your help. The light meter and everything else appears to function now. I will check it out further and then run a roll of film through it.
06-27-2018, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's the best kind of camera repair
06-27-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang! That solved my problem too! The membrane from inside the cap had fallen into the battery chamber.

One LX back in operation.

Thanks guys.

Regards

Chris
06-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcs0001 Quote
Pentageek and TwoUptons - you are genius's.

The light meter and everything else appears to function now. I will check it out further and then run a roll of film through it.
That's when this forum is at it's best!
06-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That's when this forum is at it's best!
One stone...two birds! What could be more rewarding, eh?

Steve