Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the SF10, which is slightly different from the SF1, but I have to agree about the ergonomics, the feel, the handling and the simplicity and the VIEWFINDER! Good GOLLY! This is a BEAUTIFUL VIEWFINDER!! I can SEE THINGS like never before!!

Even with an OME-35 on my K20D, I feel like I'm looking down a straw compared to the SF10's viewfinder.

The SF10 has been my workhorse film camera as of recent and has given me no issues. Highly recommended, especially for the price.

11-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I have the SF10, which is slightly different from the SF1, but I have to agree about the ergonomics, the feel, the handling and the simplicity and the VIEWFINDER! Good GOLLY! This is a BEAUTIFUL VIEWFINDER!! I can SEE THINGS like never before!!

Even with an OME-35 on my K20D, I feel like I'm looking down a straw compared to the SF10's viewfinder.

The SF10 has been my workhorse film camera as of recent and has given me no issues. Highly recommended, especially for the price.
The viewfinder on 35mm film cameras is great, is it not! That is probably the only reason, if I win the lottery, to buy a camera with a 24x36 sensor. (I refuse to call it full frame - full frame to me is an 11x14 inch Linhoff! )
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The viewfinder on 35mm film cameras is great, is it not! That is probably the only reason, if I win the lottery, to buy a camera with a 24x36 sensor. (I refuse to call it full frame - full frame to me is an 11x14 inch Linhoff! )
Yar. I can manual focus sooo much easier on 35mm cameras than I can with my K20D. for digital SLR, doesn't help that i wear glasses which puts me even farther from the puny screen.

All the more reason I shoot film for fun shots

For the price of a memory card, I bought my SF10.
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I just picked up a Pentax SFX (the European version of the SF1) inadvertently as an added bonus attached to a lens I purchased. Sounds interesting..... I'll take it out for a spin when it arrives before deciding whether or not to sell it. (which I probably eventually will, as I'm not really interested in auto film cameras).

11-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #20

I have an SF7 (the cheaper version) which I bought as it was attached to a lens I wanted (F 28-80mm). Superbly engineered, I keep meaning to try putting a film through it. I keep seeing the SF series cameras for next to nothing body only, while ones with lenses (particularly the AF primes) go for four times as much, so there are evidently a fair number of us trying to get hold of them!

The flash mounting makes a lot of sense, the balance is better and it will obviously reduce red eye.
11-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I have the SF10, which is slightly different from the SF1, but I have to agree about the ergonomics, the feel, the handling and the simplicity and the VIEWFINDER! Good GOLLY! This is a BEAUTIFUL VIEWFINDER!! I can SEE THINGS like never before!.
I agree 100%. That is one of the big reasons (the other two being balance and reliability) why I still own the SF1n, and why I bought a second as a spare. The numbers don't show it but, for some reason, the viewfinder on the SF1n is a true joy to use. Manual focus lenses on the K200D can be a bit of a chore but using them on these old 35mm cameras is a wonderful experience.
11-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Totally agree. I just got an SF1n to supplement my SF10. It's just a beautiful viewfinder.

The ZX-7 also has a nice viewfinder, but not as neat or big. love the old school VF!!
11-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep wanting to run a roll through the SF1 I have in the closet, but the battery costs more than the camera is worth!

11-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #24

Help Starting

Hey everyone,

I need a little help getting started with my SF 1. I bought it at a yard sale yesterday and it appeared to be in a great condition outside of a dead battery. I just purchased a new battery but when I try to load the film it's not catching properly. I load it all the way to the last black bar at the end and I can hear the camera grinding but I'm not sure if it is actually catching the tracks and then the display screen just flashes 0.

Also, the reflex lense has popped up in the camera and I'm not sure how to lock it back in to it's original position. It was down when I purchased it but after putting the battery in I could no longer look out the view window.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
11-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joefacekilla Quote
Hey everyone,

I need a little help getting started with my SF 1. I bought it at a yard sale yesterday and it appeared to be in a great condition outside of a dead battery. I just purchased a new battery but when I try to load the film it's not catching properly. I load it all the way to the last black bar at the end and I can hear the camera grinding but I'm not sure if it is actually catching the tracks and then the display screen just flashes 0.

Also, the reflex lense has popped up in the camera and I'm not sure how to lock it back in to it's original position. It was down when I purchased it but after putting the battery in I could no longer look out the view window.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
My SF-1 has an orange flash at the extreme right of the film plane. That's the end of film loading point. Make sure the film is on the sprockets as well.

The stuck mirror is a more disturbing symptom. Will it return if you take the battery off?
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #26

Best 38 bucks spent so far

I got mine before Christmas last year on a tip from a friend on these forums. Amazing camera. I've been using a 50mm F1.7 the last day or two just taking photo's around the house and looking forward to the images. I think I'm going to give it a field test soon and see what gives. Hefty tank of a camera. Odd battery but it seems to have a long life so far.
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
I got mine before Christmas last year on a tip from a friend on these forums. Amazing camera. I've been using a 50mm F1.7 the last day or two just taking photo's around the house and looking forward to the images. I think I'm going to give it a field test soon and see what gives. Hefty tank of a camera. Odd battery but it seems to have a long life so far.
The absolutely best design for on camera flash I have ever seen. It is a shame that Pentax went away from it. There was an article in a photo mag from a fashion photographer who absolutely loved it because she could shoot single handed and direct with her left hand with the flash mounted on top of the grip the way it is on the SF-1.
01-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #28

Using DA lens'

I saw a poster in the marketplace say you can't use DA lens with this camera.......I have been using a 50mm DA 1.7 on this thing for a week now. I'm not going to screw this thing up am I? Seems to work just fine.
01-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a poster in the marketplace say you can't use DA lens with this camera.......I have been using a 50mm DA 1.7 on this thing for a week now. I'm not going to screw this thing up am I? Seems to work just fine.
The DA lens will mount on the camera, but the image circle will not be large enough to cover the whole negative/slide. You will be unable to use manual exposure, being restricted to shutter priority and program modes when there is no aperture ring.
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 50/1.7? I would expect that you would have both focus and exposure issues. This lens is totally incompatible with your camera since it does not exist.

Steve