Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I really can't add to what you all have said. I love my sf-1n. Built like a brick, but it is well balanced and it feels natural in my hands. The VF is one of best around. Takes fantastic pics. Yea, the lens takes the credit, but deep down I think the body has something to do with it. The ergonomics could be better but you use it enough and the sliders get to be second nature.

02-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
I saw a poster in the marketplace say you can't use DA lens with this camera.......I have been using a 50mm DA 1.7 on this thing for a week now. I'm not going to screw this thing up am I? Seems to work just fine.
I've never heard of a DA 50mm f/1.7. There are two quick checks: 1) Does it have an aperture ring? 2) Does it really say SMC FA?
02-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shot one roll with my SF1, kind of liked it. Viewfinder is large but kind of dark. I actually like the 'matched needle' style of viewfinder LED's, similar to P3n but on right instead of left. No viewfinder display of aperture (I can live with that). Autofocus is a little ponderous but seems very positive and accurate. Shutter and built-in film winder are really noisy...not unlike the 645N. The bottom half of the never-ready case actually made holding the SF1 somewhat comfortable despite its hard plastics. I don't have a problem with the little toggles that many Pentax AF bodies had instead of dials. One thing to remember is that these bodies generally changed shutter speeds in 1EV or 1/2 EV steps, so you don't need to flick through as many intermediate values.

So to sum up, kind of brutish, but fun. Biggest drawback for me are the big & expensive batteries that seem to have somewhat limited life. Seems to be above-average power drain even when camera isn't in use; next time I get one of these batteries I'm going to remove it from the camera when camera is stored. I haven't yet seen one of the AA grips for sale for this camera.
06-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #34
Forum Member

I have an SF1, purchased when they were first introduced, it was about $600 I think . Still works great, the battery life has been pretty good for me. I don't like the loading system that someone mentioned.

I will actually let the film wind around the spool before closing the back. It uses a couple pictures on the roll, but it is better than losing 30 or so after realizing that I was up to that many on a 24 exposure roll. The film did not catch when it was first loaded.

I do wish they had included some way to manually rewind, seems like this would extend battery life.

06-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #35
BKJ

SF1

I too was an SF1 user for several years. I bought 2 camera bodies and an assortment of lenses plus two flashes. I remember the camera bodies cost between 4300- $300 -$375 new. I used them for several years and then they laid dormant in their cases for quite a long period. When I decided to get back into photography, after turning them on both of the shutters locked up. I found out that this a common problemwith this model and is too costly to try to fix , besises Pentax not keeping parts for older cameras. They served me well for many years, but I have moved on to ZX series cameras since all my lenses will work on them. However, I did purchase 2 SF1's and an SF1n from Ebay. One of the SF1's did lock up shortly after I purchased it. When they work, they're great. When they don't, throw them away becauae it is not cost effective to fix them.
02-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #36

Hello...I just bought an SF1 with two Pentax flashes in the box with all manuals and original back. It is in excellent condition, and I picked it up for $19.00. What kind of flashes do I need? I haven't shot a film SLR in about 25 years.
08-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #37

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'd rather not pollute the forum with another thread if I can help it.

I recently got a cheap SF-1 with a 35-70 lens, basically for the price of the lens itself. I know it's nothing special, but it was a nice deal.

The issue I'm having is that the mirror keeps staying up. I have put a new set of 2cr5 batteries into it, and it does turn on, but the mirror stays up. I can hear the winder trying to wind up film. The lens aperture reading tab does spring back up when pressed down. The mirror can be pulled down by hand but doesn't lock into place. I have tried banging on the bottom, but not yet smacking it very hard. The clear button only makes the winder go but doesn't move the mirror.

Does the SF-1 behave differently without any film in it? I've not put one in yet for fear of wasting a perfectly good roll on a potentially borked camera. Does anyone know what I might try to get it to work? I'm willing to try and disassemble it if needed. If it's broken beyond repair, I don't mind trying to fix it myself.

Any advice? Apart from chucking it I might just keep it as an interesting item on my shelf

Thank you all in advance

08-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My SF-1 works normally without film. Check the mirror latch at the bottom of the mirror box to see if there is something that is fouling it.
08-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by varky Quote
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'd rather not pollute the forum with another thread if I can help it.

I recently got a cheap SF-1 with a 35-70 lens, basically for the price of the lens itself. I know it's nothing special, but it was a nice deal.

The issue I'm having is that the mirror keeps staying up. I have put a new set of 2cr5 batteries into it, and it does turn on, but the mirror stays up. I can hear the winder trying to wind up film. The lens aperture reading tab does spring back up when pressed down. The mirror can be pulled down by hand but doesn't lock into place. I have tried banging on the bottom, but not yet smacking it very hard. The clear button only makes the winder go but doesn't move the mirror.

Does the SF-1 behave differently without any film in it? I've not put one in yet for fear of wasting a perfectly good roll on a potentially borked camera. Does anyone know what I might try to get it to work? I'm willing to try and disassemble it if needed. If it's broken beyond repair, I don't mind trying to fix it myself.

Any advice? Apart from chucking it I might just keep it as an interesting item on my shelf

Thank you all in advance
I had one with a similar issue - the aperture lever was also failing, so it was terminal