07-03-2018, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #4

07-03-2018, 04:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
"pentax is not prestigious"

lol - the only con mentioned. Funny how 'brand' means so much
That's what I thought too but to me "Prestigious" seems to equate with how much money you are prepared to spend on marketing, of course being first in the field, say like Leica and Hasselblad, tends to give you a flying start before the rest of the boys figure a way round your patents and of course another example of first out of the box is that every home owner refers to a vacuum cleaner as a Hoover

Mind you I thought the 3 K mount models selected were a good selection, however along with all the other brands I think things went downhill in camera making with the introduction of plastic bodies.

Pity they never mentioned the early Pentax's from the 60's when Pentax was the "Prestigious" SLR model to go for.
07-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the 1960s, the prestige 35mm cameras were Leica, Zeiss and Alpa. Even the Nikon F would have been considered prestigious, though not for entirely the same reasons. Pentax was considered and marketed as an affordable brand. It was solid, reliable and to some extent innovative, but it wasn’t considered prestigious.
07-03-2018, 05:24 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I find the idea that consumer goods can be "prestigious" immensely annoying. There is nothing prestigious in being expensive. Winning the Nobel Prize is prestigious, waving a Leica about or driving a Range Rover is nothing more than being a victim of advertising.

07-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I find the idea that consumer goods can be "prestigious" immensely annoying. There is nothing prestigious in being expensive. Winning the Nobel Prize is prestigious, waving a Leica about or driving a Range Rover is nothing more than being a victim of advertising.
That’s prestige by association with the product. While that’s hardly a recent phenomenon, in earlier times “prestige” goods usually meant that they were better made and had more features than the more numerous and cheaper equivalents, and they were priced out of reach of most people. Nowadays, the concept of “masstige” (horrid word, but descriptive, nonetheless) has convinced far too many people that paying 20-50% more will buy you that association when mostly you’re just getting a badge and a bit of tinsel. Different things altogether.
07-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
waving a Leica about or driving a Range Rover is nothing more than being a victim of advertising.
If someone really knows their cameras, waving a Leica around is not necessarily being a victim of advertising; a Range Rover, probably yes unless one is about to drive across a desert or some such adventure. In '60 and '61, while I owned Nikon SP and S3 rangefinder cameras, I also got to use a Leica M3. There is definitely a "Leica feel". My Nikons were very good (I wish I still had them), but the Leica "felt" better. When I returned to photography after a break of about 10 years I bought Leicas because I wanted to do available light photography and they were the best at that.
07-03-2018, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
In the 1960s, the prestige 35mm cameras were Leica, Zeiss and Alpa. Even the Nikon F would have been considered prestigious, though not for entirely the same reasons. Pentax was considered and marketed as an affordable brand. It was solid, reliable and to some extent innovative, but it wasn’t considered prestigious.
In the early 70’s in upper-middle-class St. Louis, owning any ILC / SLR was a symbol of disposable wealth. A current Pentax (say an SPll, SP-F or ESll but not a Spotmatic) was perfectly fine, but a Canon F1 or Nikon Photomic with some accessories and lenses beyond a normal were better. Of course there were some Rollei and Hassy.people around and they were exotic and envied.

By the time of the K-mount, after I graduated, (according to my brother) Olympus was the preferred camera. Pentax had lost all cache and Canon and Nikon were solid but stodgy. There was a brief flurry of folding SX-70 Polaroid fascination but the novelty quickly wore off and they were passed down to teen slumber parties.

I’m posting about High School classmates who either were using their fathers’ cameras or their Christmas and Birthday presents. Prestige is a difficult term to pin down. There was a lot of wealth signaling going on and cameras and cars were easy signals, so they were prestigious in that sense.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-03-2018 at 03:07 PM.
07-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think "presitgious" is used here to mean "premium", "luxury", "high end", etc. etc. etc.
But as it's always been, premium brands still produce clunkers and even when they do not, it's a game of exponentially diminishing return on investment. Except bragging rights. Meh.

---------- Post added 07-03-18 at 01:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
When I returned to photography after a break of about 10 years I bought Leicas because I wanted to do available light photography and they were the best at that.
But this is in fact at least slightly a result of "buying in"... 'Leica is the best for availble light photography' is statement that is difficult to quanitfy, and even if true, it's true by the slightest of margins. But wanting to have "the best"... there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's no arguing that a the *feel* of driving a Mercedes differs drastically from a Subaru, and there is something to that. Premium ownership, having the "top-of-the-range" is something many want from the get-go without truly understanding what it is they're paying for beyond the knowledge that "it's the best".

---------- Post added 07-03-18 at 01:51 PM ----------

If someone really knows their cameras...
That's it exactly.
07-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If someone really knows their cameras..........
they buy the best for the job they have in mind whatever it looks like or whoever makes or made it.

but of course this can cause problems if a client has only heard of "Prestigious" makes and expects you to use one rather than something more suited to the job.
07-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I grew up in Queens (New York City) in the 1960's and '70's.
No one in my working class neighborhood owned an adjustable lens camera.

I remember being jealous when a friend whose father reputedly had mob ties
somehow got a Pentax SP500 with Honeywell Strobonar "potato masher" flash.
Previously I had only ever seen professional photographers with such an outfit.

It wasn't until the late 1970's when Canon made SLR photography mass-market
that I started seeing 35mm SLRs around. My first SLR was a used Canon AE-1.

Chris
07-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #14
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
'Leica is the best for available light photography' is statement that is difficult to quantify, and even if true, it's true by the slightest of margins.
In those days, before cameras which could focus automatically, when it was all manual focusing, nothing could beat the superimposed image of the Leica rangefinder (except another rangefinder camera of which at the time, as I recall, there were none). Try focusing with an SLR on a fast-moving scene with a split image rangefinder; I can't. There was no "buying in".
07-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

In those days, before cameras which could focus automatically, when it was all manual focusing, nothing could beat the superimposed image of the Leica rangefinder (except another rangefinder camera of which at the time, as I recall, there were none). Try focusing with an SLR on a fast-moving scene with a split image rangefinder; I can't. There was no "buying in".
They're both just practice. I can with an SLR but struggle with an RF. Might be a right-brain / left-brain sort of thing. I don't know.
But I wasn't being disparaging. Everyone wants the best tool for the job.