Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the question using these lenses on a film body and "Pentax Film SLR" related or should it be moved to the Pentax lens section?

Phil.

07-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Is the question using these lenses on a film body and "Pentax Film SLR" related or should it be moved to the Pentax lens section?

Phil.
if I created this thread in the wrong spot sorry

a pm has been sent to Adam and see what he wants to do
07-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Phil.
I was thinking the same.

That said, I used to (I supposed I still do to a certain extent) keep my lens stable fairly tidy, e.g. I'd sell those I used infrequently fairly regularly. I stopped doing that at some point. Moslty because I know very well what all the lenses are these days and don't have any that I don't like. The exception being I've gotten rid of all crop-sensor specific glass except for the DA*50-135 which I keep around as a part of a WR 2-lens kit for the K-3. I even let go of the DA15 and don't really regret it. I just like each lens to be able to cross-over to 35mm, so in that case I guess I'm swinging this thread, my response anyhow, back around to Film SLR relativity.
07-19-2018, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a shame that Pentax dropped the aperture ring on all these new DA FF lenses, otherwise most of us film shooter will never own any. The APS-C lenses are even worse, no aperture ring and not FF.

FA and older are the only lenses I would buy/can buy. Even though I don't have an auto focus film body, the AF lenses mostly still work fine as manual focus.

Phil.

07-19-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I have a Takumar - A 28 mm f2.8 to keep forever. Its the last of my 80's gear that wasn't sold or stolen. It goes in the box In The "Vault" with my Scout Badges, Sea Cadet Stripes , Piece of Gold from 4000 foot level of Pickle Crow Gold Mine, trumpet mouth piece, City "at -a - boy" plate etc etc. Or in short what my Beneficiaries will call "what the Hell is this Stuff Box"
07-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I guess I don't use all my lenses very often. But I don't sell. Selling is just... wrong

Besides, no sane togger would have just one 50mm lens, right? Right?

Ok, ok, I'm hoarder. Satisfied?
Welcome to the club...yes, sorry, I am in that club too. Sorry...at least it is a humble club
07-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #22
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Welcome to the club...yes, sorry, I am in that club too. Sorry...at least it is a humble club
Our sorry collections in a humble club.

07-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our sorry collections in a humble club.

Does that become humble pie?
07-19-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Does that become humble pie?
pie, pie did some one mention pie

" . . . So bye, bye, Miss American Pie . . . "
07-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #25
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

In an attempt to step back onto the narrow path... One lens I don't use enough is the "K" 50/1.2, but I could never part with it. It's such a beautiful lens. However, I rarely need that wide an aperture and there is quite a lot more glass in the 50/1.2 than in the tiny FA43.
07-19-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
pie, pie did some one mention pie

" . . . So bye, bye, Miss American Pie . . . "
Don McLean - The Day the Music Died ( American Pie ) 1972 Live - YouTube
I hate that song more than any other song... more than selling lenses.

---------- Post added 07-19-18 at 12:06 PM ----------

In an attempt to step back onto the narrow path... One lens I don't use enough is the "K" 50/1.2, but I could never part with it. It's such a beautiful lens. However, I rarely need that wide an aperture and there is quite a lot more glass in the 50/1.2 than in the tiny FA43.
Same here, same lens. I love it, but 90% of the time I take out an A50/1.4 or M50/1.7 (or the 43)... simply for size/weight. But I'd never sell my 1.2 either.
07-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have many lenses that I don't use on a regular basis. I get too sentimental I guess. Every time I think I should sell some of them I remember a shot or a moment that I captured with one of them and decide to hang onto them "just in case"
07-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I hate that song more than any other song... more than selling lenses.
Yeah it was played to death on the radio when I was in high school, got sick of it pretty fast. (As well as numerous other songs from that period in my life) AM radio song rotation will do that to you, once every hour whether you like it or not!

I would be quite content if I never heard it again.

Phil.
07-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I do have some lenses I don't use or need all that much... so here they are, keeping in mind that I only shoot APS-C.

Let's start with the wider end of things...

Wide to Normal Zooms
.SMC DA 16-45mm f4
.Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5
I had already decided to sell the Tokina when the "Summer of K-1" came up. So I'm keeping it until after the last K-1 is raffled - if I don't get a K-1, the Tokina will have to go.

Medium-Wide
.SMC Pentax-A 24mm f/2.8
.Tokina 24mm f/2.8
.Vivitar MC 24mm f/2.8
So, THREE 24 2.8 lenses??? I wanted one for a long time, but they used to cost a lot, and my budget was really restricted for a couple of years while we were saving for to move to a new house, so somehow I ended up with 3 - not counting the two that came and went quickly. First was a Rokinon 24 2.8 that was pretty bad optically at wide apertures, but made me love the focal length. Then I finally managed to get what I wanted - a K 24 2.8, but a while later I couldn't resist trading it for the Vivitar 24 2.8 AND a Pentax-M 50 f4 Macro, because I always wanted a macro prime. I thought, I get to have a very good (by all accounts) 24 2.8 lens, and the macro I so wanted.
Right after that, I found the Tokina for 14 dollars. It was basically NOS, but had the Ricoh pin and so while attempting to take it out, I messed it up and it is now completely "clickless". So is a 14 dollar lens that I messed up even worth selling? Probably not.
And then... the SMC-A 24 2.8 came up for an irresistible price because the A contacts were not working, effectively making it a K/M lens (which I don't mind at all!). Optically I like it even better than the K version that I used to have, so how could I get rid of it?
At some point, probably later this year when my oldest son turns 10, he will get my K-50 with the Vivitar 24 2.8 and M 50 1.7 so that he can really learn to take pictures. I gave him my Pentax RZ18 a couple of years ago and he's been begging for a DSLR. So I think I'll go down to 2 of these lenses, but the third one stays in the house anyway...

Normal FOV
.Rikenon XR 28 2.8
.SMC Pentax-M 28 3.5
.Sigma 30 1.4 Art
.SMC Pentax DA 35 2.4
Yes there's a lot of overlap there... the Rikenon is the obvious candidate to be sold or given away but it's in pretty rough cosmetic shape, having been dropped. It's pretty scratched up and the filter ring had to be bent back into shape. It just doesn't look so good. The M 28 3.5 was an impulse buy, again because it was cheap - under 40 dollars, and it's such an excellent lens.
The Sigma 30 1.4 can mostly substitute all my other normals, but I keep the 28 3.5 for the unique rendering, even if it seems to get used less and less... and the Plastic Fantastic DA 35 2.4 also gets used less and less but it's my "beater" normal lens - when we go to the beach in September, for example, I know that's the lens I'll have on the camera when we go to the sand. It's pretty beat up, 1/3 of the filter ring is gone (my mother in law's husband did that) but I still love the results I get from it.

Short tele (or, the nifty fifties)
.SMC Pentax-M 50 1.7
.SMC pentax-F 50 1.7
.Rikenon P 50 1.4
.SMC Pentax-M 50 f4 Macro
.SMC Pentax K 55 f2
.Rikenon XR 50 1.4
The Rikenon P needs to stay because it's my best 50. It's sharp wide open, something you can't say about a lot of 50 1.4 lenses. The SMC-M 50 f4 Macro stays because it's a macro lens. The SMC-F 50 1.7 stays because it's my AF portrait lens - even though it doesn't get used much at all anymore, as the Sigma 30 1.4 tends to stay on the camera...
Then there's the M 50 1.7 which is such an incredible lens, and mine is in rough (Ugly?) condition, all beat up and someone wrote their initials on the barrel with a knife, it seems. That lens should go to my older son when I give him his first Pentax DSLR within the next year, along with a Vivitar 24 2.8 lens.
The K 55 f2 is such an incredible lens but it just doesn't get used anymore, so I think I'll have to sell it.... and the Rikenon XR 50 1.4 will be given away soon - it's stuck at wide open which could just be a lose spring, and one of the mount screws is stuck.

Telephoto
.Tamron 70-300 LD DI f/4-5.6
.SMC Pentax-A 70-210 f4
.Craigs Optics 60-300mm f/4-5.6
The Tamron is my AF tele so of course it gets used. The A 70-210 is better optically, so I use that when I can. And I couldn't pass on a deal on this completely unknown lens rebadger called Craigs Optics, because I could tell from pictures that it was exact the same as the well regarded Soligor 60-300 lens with the 67mm thread, and it was only 22 dollars. The reason why I'm reluctant to sell it is because I think it's quite a bit better at 300mm than the Tamron. But I have to force myself to use it sometimes, otherwise it just stays in the drawer because I don't really need it... and honestly, I think it might have to go someday.

Soon, I think, I'll have a thread in the marketplace to give some of these away... along with some other stuff I have in my drawer at work.
07-19-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Phil.
Done!