Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

CLA in the UK

Now that Robin at Harrow Technical has retired, can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK that can CLA older Pentax bodies to a high standard? I got my MX done at Harrow Technical about six months before they closed but if I had known they were closing, I would have had my ME Super done there also.

There is nothing wrong with the ME Super at the moment but I've owned it for ten years and I doubt it has ever been serviced. I'd like to be using all my old Pentax bodies in 15 years time if I'm still around

07-20-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You could try Asahi Photo in Brentford. I've been pleased with their work and the reasonable costs (though they took considerably longer than estimated to complete the work)...
07-20-2018, 03:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You could try Asahi Photo in Brentford. I've been pleased with their work and the reasonable costs (though they took considerably longer than estimated to complete the work)...
Same here with the aperture block replacement on the K-30. Also, don't rely on their website contact message system becauese they don't seem to monitor it - phone up and ask to speak to Pramath directly.
07-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendation guys. Shame that Asahi photo not put sample pricing info for servicing on their website.

07-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Thanks for the recommendation guys. Shame that Asahi photo not put sample pricing info for servicing on their website.
I seem to remember they did my ME Super full service for something like £60 or £65, and that covered everything... but it was a couple of years ago, so that might be out of date pricing by now. Either way, they're very friendly - just call them up and have a chat with them about what you need doing
07-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It's a very small company but been in business for a long time - so rather informal in their approach to pricing. It all depends on what you want and how long they think it will take.

Phone Pramath and find out!
07-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again guys. For the past couple of years I've been using my MX most of the time because it is probably the better body but in the last 2 months I've put about 10 rolls through the ME Super and it reminded me how nice it is to use, especially for street photography. A good CLA should mean its continued use for another few years. Regarding the pricing, I just checked my records and Harrow Technical charged £95 for my MX, including the return postage.

07-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

in the last 2 months I've put about 10 rolls through the ME Super and it reminded me how nice it is to use, especially for street photography. A good CLA should mean its continued use for another few years
I was impressed with how much was done to my ME Super by Asahi Photo. When I sent it in, the viewfinder and focusing screen were messy, the mirror was quite dirty, the seals and mirror foam were sticky and breaking apart, the film winder wasn't operating smoothly, and there were some electrical faults. When I eventually got it back, it was functionally like a new camera
07-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was impressed with how much was done to my ME Super by Asahi Photo. When I sent it in, the viewfinder and focusing screen were messy, the mirror was quite dirty, the seals and mirror foam were sticky and breaking apart, the film winder wasn't operating smoothly, and there were some electrical faults. When I eventually got it back, it was functionally like a new camera
That's good to know. Its a funny old world.... my most advanced film body is my Canon EOS 3. Its got a 45 point autofocus system, something like 9 FPS, eye control focus where you just look at something in the viewfinder and the focus point follows your eye. It takes all my nice Canon L lenses.

I paid £100 for it 10 years ago and I've enjoyed using it but in the last year it has developed a problem that seems to be quite common with the EOS 3. The mirror will sometimes stay up after a shot. Apparently its a problem with magnet which holds the mirror up but the thing is.... nobody can repair it. Canon are certainly not interested so that's the end of a nice camera but a Pentax body which is twice as old can still be serviced
07-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's good to know. Its a funny old world.... my most advanced film body is my Canon EOS 3. Its got a 45 point autofocus system, something like 9 FPS, eye control focus where you just look at something in the viewfinder and the focus point follows your eye. It takes all my nice Canon L lenses.

I paid £100 for it 10 years ago and I've enjoyed using it but in the last year it has developed a problem that seems to be quite common with the EOS 3. The mirror will sometimes stay up after a shot. Apparently its a problem with magnet which holds the mirror up but the thing is.... nobody can repair it. Canon are certainly not interested so that's the end of a nice camera but a Pentax body which is twice as old can still be serviced
I have a much less advanced, but rather dear to me, EOS 5 that I purchased from a chap who bought two just when they'd been discontinued. He used one, and kept the other under his bed, unused except for initial testing, and still boxed. That's the one I got I only have a three compatible lenses, and I've run a couple of rolls of film through it very successfully. But, I know this model can develop a common problem with the command dial. It's fixable with some time-consuming DIY, but I have so many other repair and restoration projects slated for attention that I really don't want to add another. So, sadly, I've ended up keeping the camera more as a display item that I know is currently in "new" condition and full working order, along with matching new & unused extension grip and belt-mounted external battery pack. I guess one day, when I'm ready, I'll sell to a Canon enthusiast or collector... but for now, I really like owning it. I'm sure that sounds like ridiculous behaviour to most people...
07-20-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a much less advanced, but rather dear to me, EOS 5 that I purchased from a chap who bought two just when they'd been discontinued. He used one, and kept the other under his bed, unused except for initial testing, and still boxed. That's the one I got I only have a three compatible lenses, and I've run a couple of rolls of film through it very successfully. But, I know this model can develop a common problem with the command dial. It's fixable with some time-consuming DIY, but I have so many other repair and restoration projects slated for attention that I really don't want to add another. So, sadly, I've ended up keeping the camera more as a display item that I know is currently in "new" condition and full working order, along with matching new & unused extension grip and belt-mounted external battery pack. I guess one day, when I'm ready, I'll sell to a Canon enthusiast or collector... but for now, I really like owning it. I'm sure that sounds like ridiculous behaviour to most people...
I'd keep it. The mode dial* ratchet mechanism broke on mine one cold day, the dial spins freely now but the rest of the camera works fine. It has very little value at present (I also have the grip and a 50mm 1.8). In it's day it was the 'prosumer' EOS, able to shoot 5fps with only the 2CR5 battery (the Eos 1's were faster but only with the massive booster battery).

* The common failure I'm aware of was the exposure mode (not command) dial - annoyingly I inadvertently moved it on a cold day and it broke when I set it back to where I wanted it.
07-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'd keep it. The mode dial* ratchet mechanism broke on mine one cold day, the dial spins freely now but the rest of the camera works fine. It has very little value at present (I also have the grip and a 50mm 1.8). In it's day it was the 'prosumer' EOS, able to shoot 5fps with only the 2CR5 battery (the Eos 1's were faster but only with the massive booster battery).

* The common failure I'm aware of was the exposure mode (not command) dial - annoyingly I inadvertently moved it on a cold day and it broke when I set it back to where I wanted it.
Thanks for that - very interesting For now, I'm very happy to keep it. I might even put a few more rolls of film through it... For the era, it's a really nice and fairly solid camera. And I really do get a kick out of the eye focus feature
07-21-2018, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for that - very interesting For now, I'm very happy to keep it. I might even put a few more rolls of film through it... For the era, it's a really nice and fairly solid camera. And I really do get a kick out of the eye focus feature
If as you say your EOS 5 sat unused under someones bed for years, chances are that you have a good few years before it develops the fault so I would keep hold of it and keep using it.
07-27-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #14

I've sent quite a few cameras to Newton Ellis in Liverpool over the years. Very approachable over the phone.
That said, I only ever had my Pentaxes (MX, ME Super and MG) serviced by Harrow Technical. However, I can't imagine that they're not equal to a Pentax.
Good luck.
07-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 1958nc Quote
I've sent quite a few cameras to Newton Ellis in Liverpool over the years. Very approachable over the phone.
That said, I only ever had my Pentaxes (MX, ME Super and MG) serviced by Harrow Technical. However, I can't imagine that they're not equal to a Pentax.
Good luck.
Harrow Technical ceased trading sometime ago when Robin retired.