Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just sat here with a smile on my face wondering who would actually buy this?????

07-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Forum Member

OMG, I can't believe it. I wonder if anyone feels as bad as they should about that
07-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or you could potentially rummage through the parent's/grandparent's office/closet/etc with all the joy and excitement of finding "buried treasure" for the real deal, and then throw in an upcoming role of Ektachrome.

07-20-2018, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually quite like the concept for a few reasons:
I like the enforced slowness
I like the 'shoot and hope' idea with no screen and no deletes, a great antidote to the 'shoot and adjust' or 'spray and delete' that's the temptation with a screen.
I like the retro styling.

It's a great bit of fun. I would buy one IF it was cheap.

I think they missed a trick though. Rather than a separate SD card, it should store the images on the 'film' cartridge and limit you to 32 at a time. That would really force you to shoot like film, without the hassle of chemicals.

07-20-2018, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter

You could always use film...
07-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
You could always use film...
Well...I do. Which is why I can fully understand why a lot of people wouldn't want the hassle of it. But the process behind it forces a style of shooting that is quite different to DSLRs and, given a few constraints, you can recreate that style without having to deal with bottles of chemicals and taking over the downstairs toilet.
07-20-2018, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Well...I do. Which is why I can fully understand why a lot of people wouldn't want the hassle of it. But the process behind it forces a style of shooting that is quite different to DSLRs and, given a few constraints, you can recreate that style without having to deal with bottles of chemicals and taking over the downstairs toilet.
I actually think what they've done is kinda neat. It's easy to be critical since we do have film options and when you still shoot film it's easy to say just grab the real thing, but this has some added appeal in that it might get a newer generation interested in film. I can see someone getting one of these and deciding they want to check out where it all came from. I think it's also positive to see Yashica making something like this from the standpoint of thinking there is a market for some niche photography products. Hope it works out.

07-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I actually think what they've done is kinda neat. It's easy to be critical since we do have film options and when you still shoot film it's easy to say just grab the real thing, but this has some added appeal in that it might get a newer generation interested in film. I can see someone getting one of these and deciding they want to check out where it all came from. I think it's also positive to see Yashica making something like this from the standpoint of thinking there is a market for some niche photography products. Hope it works out.
Not that the current Yashica has anything to do with the Yashica that made film cameras...
07-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Not that the current Yashica has anything to do with the Yashica that made film cameras...
Honestly hadn't tracked that - thanks!

(and too bad)
07-21-2018, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Wasn't this discussed to death (and then some) when it was announced a year ago?
07-21-2018, 04:32 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
"Demonstrates" ? No, it's another promotional video. There's a whiff of fraud about this.
07-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I just sat here with a smile on my face wondering who would actually buy this?????
It definitely won't be me but time will tell if it succeeds in the market or not. I would doubt it has much of a chance, its main competition is smartphones, not DSLR's and I do not see smartphone users (myself included) or DSLR users (myself included) going for this.
07-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Or you could potentially rummage through the parent's/grandparent's office/closet/etc with all the joy and excitement of finding "buried treasure" for the real deal, and then throw in an upcoming role of Ektachrome.

But E-6 processing is pretty rare these days. Unless you live in a a major city, chances are it would need to be mailed out.
07-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Next stop - digi-cassette tapes, fairly simple - connect the "cassette" to your computer via usb, transfer strictly 90 minutes of music onto it, put the tape into the player and enjoy your music!
I rather like this idea, but we'll have to persuade Nik to make filters for ferrous, metal and chrome tapes, along with added tape hiss and a couple of Dolby NR filters. Oh, and for added realism every ten plays you have to take the 'cassette' apart with a screwdriver and splice some fake tape inside or it stops working.
07-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Looks like a perfectly fun hobby set up to me. Maybe not for people who conned themselves into thinking they are doing something serious with their cameras.