Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

ME Super - K10D Compatability

Question: Does anyone know if the lenses for my K10D will work with my ME Super? Obviously the autofocus won't work, but will the lens itself work?

Thanks

09-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Banned

it will mount, but...

if its a DA lens it will likely not cover the full, 24x36 film frame. (other than a few confirmed lenses) also if the lens has no aperture ring again such as DA or FA J lenses, you will have no way of controlling aperture for proper exposure. the ME super has no ability to control aperture from the body. any pentax lenses other than these though and your good to go.
09-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what SEAMUIS said is true
but compatibility the other way is 100%
any old lens will mount in the new cameras
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #4

This thread made me try DA 50-200 on KX body, and for my surprise, I found out that there's just some small vignetting on the corners! I mean, i see it trough the viewfinder, don't know if it's any worst if I take the picture, but I expected to get almost circle image, with everything else black, but no, full frame is almost wholy covered. Good to know, right?
Just don't know how to take picture of KX viewfinder to show you...

09-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lens Compatibility

When I got my K10D, with the 18-55mm kit lens, I still had a few shots left on a roll of film in my SF1, 35mm camera.

Just for grins and to finish the roll, I put the DA 18-55 on the SF1 and shot several pictures. As expected, at 18mm, the image did not fill the frame. It was not a complete circle. I guesstimate that the circle was about 28-30mm in diameter, so it was cut off at the top and bottom, but the rounded ends were clear in the resulting print. It wasn't exactly a fisheye image, but there was significant barrel distortion visibile.

At about 28 mm focal length, the image filled the frame and had little, if any barrel distortion visible.

At 55mm, it was fine. I didn't examine the negative or print too closely for edge sharpness, so it may have been fuzzy at the edges, since that is outside the design for the lens.

The biggest problem you will have on an ME Super (I have one of those, too; nice camera) is that the camera can't control the aperture. The DA lenses have no aperture ring and the M series cameras lack the electrical contacts to control the aperture. You could only shoot wide open.

If you use an F or FA lens, or a third-party equivalent, that HAS an aperture ring, you should be okay on both cameras.
09-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
The way you do this is with a digital P&S, in macro mode, lens snuggled right up to the eyepiece of the SLR.

Program Plus, 28/2.8 lens:

09-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The telehphotos are generally no problem, since the image circle is large than 35mm anyway
the wide angles are the ones more prone to vignetting

QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
This thread made me try DA 50-200 on KX body, and for my surprise, I found out that there's just some small vignetting on the corners! I mean, i see it trough the viewfinder, don't know if it's any worst if I take the picture, but I expected to get almost circle image, with everything else black, but no, full frame is almost wholy covered. Good to know, right?

10-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Tuc

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
what SEAMUIS said is true
but compatibility the other way is 100%
any old lens will mount in the new cameras
I'm new to these forums.
While searching for compatibility issues, I came upon this thread.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge here (I am a novice at best), but am I to understand that my older manual lenses will work on a K10D?
10-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuc Quote
but am I to understand that my older manual lenses will work on a K10D?
yes, manual lensens will work on digital body.

but first, you have to tell your K10D to not be shy with older lenses, without "A" setting on lens aperture-ring - there is a switch in camera menu, dig in and switch it, and you're good to go.
10-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Tuc

Many thanks.
Now that I have this info, it looks like Santa will be bringing my wife a K10D for Christmas...
(wink wink)...
10-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

check this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/17929-old-lenses-new-k10d.html

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol:
In the K100D it is:
- Menu C set to use aperture ring
- Lens in MF
- Menu C -> AE-L Button in M mode -> set to Av
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
10-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

The biggest problem you will have on an ME Super (I have one of those, too; nice camera) is that the camera can't control the aperture. The DA lenses have no aperture ring and the M series cameras lack the electrical contacts to control the aperture. You could only shoot wide open.
is that true? i would've thought they'd be smallest aperture (e.g f/22).
Maybe i just need to try for myself.
10-31-2008, 03:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

i found aperture on DA 18-55 fully closed, when attached to MX.
too bad, wide open would be somewhat usefull.