Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nass_43 Quote
I was just reading the MZ-S user manual yesterday (and I definitively want one !!) and I can confirm that the MZ-S have multiple exposure capability.
It seems you are not limited in exposure number : the film advances only when you change the setting button (self timer / single / multiple exposure). It should even stay when you turn the camera off/on.
Yup. I use it occasionally. Works great. It's a toggle switch. As long as you have the swithc in that position the camera will continue to expose the film with each shutter press and not advance until you move it back. It's dirt simple - the switch is right on top and toggles between self-timer (upper position), normal (middle upper position), multi-frame (middle lower position), and multi-exposure (lower position).

As mentioned, the LX will allow multi-exposure as well, but it's quite a bit more fiddly.

Attached Images

07-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The ZX-£ also does it with the self-timer button.

And it works with lenses without the aperture ring...

-Eric
07-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
Thanks. I guess that my 31 Ltd and Samyang 20mm should work then since they both have aperture ring, manual focusing and full frame circle.
The Irix probably won't work then. Or only fully open.
The Irix would always shoot at the minimum aperture, i.e. F22. The other two lenses will work just fine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I thought the D FA 50mm had the electro-magnetic aperture, and thus won't work on film bodies?
The D FA* 50mm F1.4 will always shoot wide-open on film, bodies, yes.

I was talking about the macro.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The D FA* 50mm F1.4 will always shoot wide-open on film, bodies, yes.

I was talking about the macro.
It's weird having two D-FA 50mm lenses all of a sudden, isn't it?
07-27-2018, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Although not a Pentax camera, the Vivitar V3800N can (its a k-mount camera).
07-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
As mentioned, the LX will allow multi-exposure as well, but it's quite a bit more fiddly.
Most all cameras that I am aware of have the ability to multiexpose a frame. You first make sure that the film slack is taken up with the rewind lever, push the film release - as if to rewind, then cock the shutter and fire. I have a few other manual cameras that have a dedicated multiexpose lever so instead of using the film release, you simply move that lever. This is still the same number of steps.

The difference with the LX is that you don't ever have to take up the film slack because it's mechanism holds the film steady. Because of this, you can actually rewind or advance the film using the frame counter and accurately multiexpose any frame yo want.

07-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Most all cameras that I am aware of have the ability to multiexpose a frame. You first make sure that the film slack is taken up with the rewind lever, push the film release - as if to rewind, then cock the shutter and fire. I have a few other manual cameras that have a dedicated multiexpose lever so instead of using the film release, you simply move that lever. This is still the same number of steps.

The difference with the LX is that you don't ever have to take up the film slack because it's mechanism holds the film steady. Because of this, you can actually rewind or advance the film using the frame counter and accurately multiexpose any frame yo want.
Yup, it's nifty and quite useful to watch the frame counter tick backwards. I merely meant it's certainly more fiddly than some.
My Konica T3 has a dedicated lever that allows multiple exposures for as long you like - easy as pie.

**edit - I say more fiddly above because better note-taking is in order mostly due to the fact that using the rewind button on most cameras doesn't stop the frame counter, which will advance forward normally. If you do this often enough you'll run out of room on most frame-counters. There's also the issue that if exposing using the rewind button you run a risk of the frame shifting becase the sprocket tension is released in that case, whilst the type that have a lever merely use a sort of cam mechanism to allow the shutter cock without engaging the film advance but still keeping locked tension on the sprockets.

What the LX *does* give you in spades is the ability to decide later "hey I think I'd like frame number 9 [for instance] to be double-exposure" when you're on frame 23. You can quite easily tick back to that frame. I normally go 1 or 2 before it and then blank advance/expose (lens cap on at 1/1000 shutter) back up to the frame I want, expose it again how I like, then shoot blank frames once more to go all the way back to where I left off on the roll. Fiddly, but quite unique and extremely handy.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 07-28-2018 at 02:58 PM.
07-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Yup, it's nifty and quite useful to watch the frame counter tick backwards. I merely meant it's certainly more fiddly than some.
Far be it for me to argue the merits of one vs the others as I have never used the feature on my LX's or my various others with the dedicated lever . . .
07-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I used the ‘hold the rewind knob while pushing the button trick twice on my K1000 🙂

Otherwise, it’s not really my thing... even though I was very excited to find the ZX-£ does it...

-Eric
07-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Far be it for me to argue the merits of one vs the others as I have never used the feature on my LX's or my various others with the dedicated lever . . .
I don't do many multi-exp myself. Not really an argument from me, just tidbits of info.
07-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must have made a double exposure once or twice but I can't for the life of me remember why.

Unfortunately your camera is not intuitive enough to calculate the correct total exposure.
Density will be cumulative; it depends on how many times you re-expose each frame.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-29-2018 at 10:55 AM.
07-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I must have made a double exposure once or twice but I can't for the life of me remember why.
No I will just have to give it a try or two just to say I have done it . . .

My Konica T3 has a dedicated lever that allows multiple exposures for as long you like - easy as pie.
I was just looking at the manual for the T3 and it states, "For easy manipulation, insert the nib of a ballpoint pen into the hole at the center of the multiexposure lever." Not sure if you have tried it yourself but can you expand on what is the purpose of that?
07-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I was just looking at the manual for the T3 and it states, "For easy manipulation, insert the nib of a ballpoint pen into the hole at the center of the multiexposure lever." Not sure if you have tried it yourself but can you expand on what is the purpose of that?
Hah - that's very interesting. This is guess only, but I'd believe that's simply to make it easier to move. The lever is spring-loaded and in its resting state is rather sandwiched between the side of the prism and the shutter-speed dial and the edges of it are smooth on the original T3. This was changed in the later T3n (an update that came without much fanfare but quite a few improvements) simply to add ridges to the lever that can be easily "grabbed" with a fingernail. I have the T3n and just confirmed the small indent indeed is about the size of a ballpoint pen nib. I've never used it that way. That's a bit strange but I'd think it may be significantly easier if one had the earlier version.
A photo of both (best I could find) - T3 top, T3n at bottom.
Attached Images

10-29-2021, 12:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Please excuse me resurrecting an old thread.

I'm planning some multiple exposure images where the camera will be firmly mounted on a tripod. As a result, anything involving the film rewind button is not going to be easy or even possible. Any recommendations for something (a) inexpensive (b) K mount (c) standard cable release (d) reliable?

Something like an MX with a multiple exp button would be perfect!

Thanks, Kris.